Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock speakers blown  (Read 970 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Stock speakers blown
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »

Ok, I know there has been talk about stock CVO speakers on here so here is what happened to me. I have a 13' Ultra. Recently on our 10 day trip I turned the radio on, which I rarely do, and noticed my front right speaker sounds terrible during any feature...Radio, CD or iPod. I noticed on my rear speakers the center (white) part is pushed in but still sound ok. Should I change just the one that sounds bad or are there a good set of 4 out there that are a step better than these? What made the rear centers cave in like that?

Thanks....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Stock speakers blown
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »

I have a 2013 CVO Ultra Classic and just last week my left rear speaker blew out.  I picked up a new one but haven't replaced it yet.

I thought, since the stock OEM last me seven years, that I'd just replace the stock speaker. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »

The little white cap is just a dust cap covering the coil if it sounds ok leave it its fine

dghboy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »

There are Many choice speakers out there. Definitely get away from overpriced stock ones. Do a little research and you will find many great choices. Also you may consider some Marine speakers. Personally I did mine years ago with JM and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride it like you stole it!!!

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 06:19:38 PM »

Thanks all!!!

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 09:49:54 AM »

There are Many choice speakers out there. Definitely get away from overpriced stock ones. Do a little research and you will find many great choices. Also you may consider some Marine speakers. Personally I did mine years ago with JM and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know ... I suppose you could get 'marine speakers' because they are water-resistant.

Now, if you get 'Marine' speakers, I guarantee they will work in ANY weather but they may be a bit TOO loud ...  Semper Fi!   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 10:20:28 AM »

I noticed in your original post that you rarely turn on the audio system.  If that's the case, just change out the bad one speaker.  Why spend a bunch of money replacing parts that you rarely use anyway?  Or am I missing something?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »

I noticed in your original post that you rarely turn on the audio system.  If that's the case, just change out the bad one speaker.  Why spend a bunch of money replacing parts that you rarely use anyway?  Or am I missing something?

Jerry

Jerry, you've confused "need" and "because I can."  We both know that's not the Harley way.  The Force is strong with us.  Wayward and wandering and not at all thrifty or logical; but it is strong.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »

Could just change out the bad speaker.

Speaker threads are getting to be like oil threads.  Just about everybody that has replaced their speakers has chosen the best ones out there, and their bike sounds much better than anybody else's as a result. 

Lots of good choices - I always consider this - when you are traveling at 70 mph (or more) "hi fidelity-full dynamic range & audio perfection" ain't gonna matter so much over just hearing the sound ok when you add in wind, traffic noise, and all. Amp to drive the speaker that is matched to it well is the key to performance.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Glenncarp

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »

Ok, I know there has been talk about stock CVO speakers on here so here is what happened to me. I have a 13' Ultra. Recently on our 10 day trip I turned the radio on, which I rarely do, and noticed my front right speaker sounds terrible during any feature...Radio, CD or iPod. I noticed on my rear speakers the center (white) part is pushed in but still sound ok. Should I change just the one that sounds bad or are there a good set of 4 out there that are a step better than these? What made the rear centers cave in like that?

Thanks....

Just remember HD speaker are 2 Ohm, most are not, unless you are changing amps (WHOLE different mess) stay with a 2 ohm speaker. Go with OEM and save many night of scotch and Advil.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 05:45:36 PM »

Good advice grc and Glenncarp!!

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.