Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opinions sought on possible problem with 95" motor map  (Read 1408 times)

SPIDERMAN

Opinions sought on possible problem with 95" motor map
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:46:26 PM »

Hank, Beagle's brother in law recently had his 2001 88" RK upgraded to a 95" with Dave Mackie headwork, pistons and cams. The bike has the original M&M EFI and ignition with a brand new PCIII installed. The bike idles like a Swiss watch, runs up through the gears sweet so long as you keep it below 4,000 RPM. The second you jump on it and rev it hard, it stumbles and breaks down. The shop that did the work had said the clutch was gone so yesterday I installed an 03 P/N Screamin Eagle clutch pack. Word to the wise here - - - inspect your old clutch before you drop the new plates in an oil bath. I got the old clutch out and it turned out to be a 98 P/N Screamin Eagle clutch, it had the damper spring and damper spring seat, but also had 9 friction plates and 8 steel plates. I would estimate that there was still 1/3rd of the life of this clutch left. Anyway, too late since the new one was soaking in oil so out comes the old. I've said before that the H-D Tech Writers are peverse bastards. The paperwork that comes with the new clutch pack refers you to the shop manual on installing the new plates. Sooooooooo I pull out all of the old friction and metal plates, leaving the damper spring and damper spring seat still in the clutch shell. Nope, nada, nyet, won't fit, too many plates. So sitting there with my hands dripping with oil, I look at the tech sheet Oh yeah, way over on the left at the bottom is a by the way, you have to remove the damper spring and damper spring seat EVEN THOUGH the bastards had originally said to follow the shop manual instructions. Morale of story, is if you upgrade your 03 SERK clutch to the later in the year 03 SE clutch pack, follow the shop manual PLUS the tech sheet. So anyway, back to why I posted this thread. Obviously we've got a clutch now that ain't gonna slip. The new one's rated for 125 ftlbs of TQ, but Hank's bike flat out feels like it just is starving for gas when you get on it hard. Anyone want to explain what the tuner did or didn't do here ?

Thanks
           B B

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Opinions sought on possible problem with 95" motor map
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:35 PM »

Are you able to plug the bike into a PC and look at the map?

I'm running a PCII so it lacks some of the parameters of the PCIII. I'm not certain but I believe the PCIII has ignition capabilites. Again this is all worth looking at if possible.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »

Chit Brian, tell him to ride it half way across country here to John Golden's.  He can stay with me while it's getting worked on.

(ok, not all plans are good ones)

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:57:35 AM »

Chit Brian, tell him to ride it half way across country here to John Golden's.  He can stay with me while it's getting worked on.

(ok, not all plans are good ones)

I thought it was a good plan. John is the one who tuned Bessie for me.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:50:59 AM »

Sounds like it AFR is out past 4K , I would think a good tuner could remedy that .
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »

Sounds like it AFR is out past 4K , I would think a good tuner could remedy that .

Guess we'll see on Thursday. Hank's bike goes back to Cycle Illusion s'cuse me I mean Visions for a retune. They can't use the clutch excuse that's for sure. Probably will need a new set of Reinharts- - - oops already has those. Anyone wanna bet they back peddle on the M&M throttle body being ok for the build ?

B B

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »

Anyone wanna bet they back peddle on the M&M throttle body being ok for the build ?

I hear that often. The M&M while not ideal, works OK with some tinkering.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »

BB,

Curious what Mackies opinion on this is.  Has Hank or you called him yet to ask what he thinks?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.