Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike wouldn't start  (Read 1791 times)

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Bike wouldn't start
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:29:56 PM »

Had a problem with the seeg the other day, I was getting parts at the Harley dealer and as I was about to leave the bike wouldn’t start. I left the bike there and after two days I called to find that after the bike had been pushed in the shop it now starts every time. I picked the bike up and after a long test drive it would again not start. I initially thought it was the starter because it was clicking hard from the solenoid but the starter was not turning. I checked the voltage out of the solenoid and it was less than a volt, so I checked the voltage to the solenoid (energizer wire) and it was 8-9 volts, I took the lead off and jumped it there and it started right up. It has done this thee times since but after riding today it was fine.

The question is: has anyone experienced this condition, and where would I first look to remedy this before I get stuck somewhere?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Bike wouldn't start
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:39:19 PM »

Starter relay or battery cables loose or corroded

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »

Like hd-dude said. I had the positive terminal  break which caused a voltage loss. If you are not careful it could cause the tssm to go into a fault and shut everything down. Then you will have to take the battery terminal off for 15 or so minutes so the tssm can reset.

Good luck

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »

It,s most likely the relay if you hear a strange little clicking just happened on my Dyna3  its a 5to6 dollar part plugs in the fuse box ... I could feel it clicking in the fuse panel  so just replaced it ....

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »

There is also a circuit breaker in the battery area that will trip/go bad. Again only a few dollar part. On my 01 it was in front of the battery. On my 00 Softail it was behind the battery in front of the splash guard.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:00:06 PM »

Thanks for all the help guys. It's not the battery terminals cause thats the first thing I checked when it was acting up. Of course now I cant get it to act up so I guess I will be carrying a short jumper cable and meter with me for a while.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 11:25:34 PM »

It is great that it is not acting up but sucks that you didn't find what acted up. :nixweiss:

What do the Service Advisors say, "They all do that".
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »

Had a problem with the seeg the other day, I was getting parts at the Harley dealer and as I was about to leave the bike wouldn’t start. I left the bike there and after two days I called to find that after the bike had been pushed in the shop it now starts every time. I picked the bike up and after a long test drive it would again not start. I initially thought it was the starter because it was clicking hard from the solenoid but the starter was not turning. I checked the voltage out of the solenoid and it was less than a volt, so I checked the voltage to the solenoid (energizer wire) and it was 8-9 volts, I took the lead off and jumped it there and it started right up. It has done this thee times since but after riding today it was fine.

The question is: has anyone experienced this condition, and where would I first look to remedy this before I get stuck somewhere?

It sounds like you have already done a pretty good job isolating the problem; we just need to determine what you bypassed when you ran your jumper. I can’t determine what you did based on your post but it is essentially one of two things; you bypassed the starter relay and related components or you bypassed the starter contacts in the solenoid.

If you ran a jumper from the large “battery” terminal on top of the solenoid to the small 16 to 18 gauge (green?) wire with a slip fit spade connector, you bypassed the starter relay and related wiring. If you ran a jumper from the large battery terminal on top of the solenoid to the large terminal under the solenoid with a cable running into the starter motor, you bypassed the starter contacts in the solenoid.

Once we determine which components were bypassed, we can focus on them.

One more thing, are you running one of those billet solenoid end covers?

djkak   

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 04:32:05 PM »

I have a comuter bike which is suffering from the same symptoms - I slip it into 2nd roll it back and forth to engage and it starts straight away - not sure if it is something to do with the starter motor sticking - does that sound right?

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 11:30:43 PM »

I have a comuter bike which is suffering from the same symptoms - I slip it into 2nd roll it back and forth to engage and it starts straight away - not sure if it is something to do with the starter motor sticking - does that sound right?

I might be able to help you with this. Please reply with the year and model of the machine.

djkak

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 05:20:52 AM »

Hi Dj - it's a Yamaha SR 125 Custom 1996 but I don't normally broadcast it and I wear a full face helmet.
Cheers

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »

Hi Dj - it's a Yamaha SR 125 Custom 1996 but I don't normally broadcast it and I wear a full face helmet.
Cheers

My experience with metric machinery is somewhat limited, unless you ride a Honda (pushrod) 90 cc with a cast iron top end, a Honda 305 or a Suzuki X6 Hustler.

I can’t speak directly to the inner workings of your Yamaha but I believe that for the most part the metric motorcycle manufactures run a chain driven direct drive starter similar to the VRod…and the 305 Honda now that I think about it.  The Harley air cooled machines run a starter with a retractable starter drive. The retractable starter drive mechanism is much more complex than the direct drive design. The complex mechanism requires a few more steps to diagnose.

Assuming that the starter motor on your Yamaha is mounted externally; I feel that diagnosing your starting issue shouldn’t be a real big deal; easier for me to say than for you since my machine starts just fine. :) The first thing that I would do is to eliminate the starter relay. The relay on the Yamaha is much more robust than the one on your H-D; the H-D relay only powers the solenoid, the Yamaha relay handles the power necessary to crank the engine. Select an appropriate jumper cable, something large enough to handle the current necessary to crank the engine. Attach one end of the jumper to the battery positive post and the other end to the power terminal on the starter motor; if there is an issue with the starter relay or related wiring, the engine will begin to crank as soon as the jumper is attached.

If the starter does not operate after bypassing the starter relay, it is a safe bet that the issue is in the starter motor itself. The starter drive mechanism functions normally when the machine is dropped in gear and moved backwards, engaging the starter clutch and rotating the starter armature.

If the starter relay has been eliminated, go ahead and try whacking the starter motor with something that will not damage the finish of the starter; large hard plastic screwdriver handle, etc. The ignition and kill switch should be on; depress the starter button and strike the starter with an appropriate persuader in an assertive manner. If the starter cranks the engine, the starter motor requires service. The starter is most likely not worn out but simply has a corrosion issue or maybe a sticky brush or other problem creating high resistance in the circuit.

Good luck Smiler,

djkak

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »

Dj - thanks for that I'll let you know how I get on.  Much appreciated

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.