Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Fluid Changing 101  (Read 7994 times)

REGGAB

Re: Fluid Changing 101
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »

I've gone from using Bel-Ray in the transmission to AMSOIL MCV in all three holes for no other reason than convenience.  I buy the MCV by the case.  It comes directly to my door.........just like our dog food does (makes a great topic for this term's supply chain management research paper), and it costs about $7.00 a quart.  I've developed my own system to get the old oil out, since I now change all three every 3K.  Drain all three first.  As for the oil filter, I slide a plastic Walmart bag under the filter and place a gallon sized ziplock bag around the filter.  I break torque with the oil filter wrench, then spin it off through the ziplock.  90% of the oil goes into the ziplock with the filter, and the remaining 10% is caught by the Walmart bag.  It has been a long time since I've goofed up and gotten oil on the bike after a filter removal.  Using just one oil means I only carry one oil in the saddlebag during trips.  Huge space saver.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2007, 09:04:21 AM »

I've gone from using Bel-Ray in the transmission to AMSOIL MCV in all three holes for no other reason than convenience.  I buy the MCV by the case.  It comes directly to my door.........just like our dog food does (makes a great topic for this term's supply chain management research paper), and it costs about $7.00 a quart.  I've developed my own system to get the old oil out, since I now change all three every 3K.  Drain all three first.  As for the oil filter, I slide a plastic Walmart bag under the filter and place a gallon sized ziplock bag around the filter.  I break torque with the oil filter wrench, then spin it off through the ziplock.  90% of the oil goes into the ziplock with the filter, and the remaining 10% is caught by the Walmart bag.  It has been a long time since I've goofed up and gotten oil on the bike after a filter removal.  Using just one oil means I only carry one oil in the saddlebag during trips.  Huge space saver.
Thanks for the info... Yeah, I've decided to go with 1 brand myself to save the hassle of dealing with multiple brands.
I see you're getting that post count up; must have not slept last night !  ;D WOW....

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2007, 09:13:38 AM »

REGGAB do you get any noise out of the tranny running the 20-50 in it?  I'm using the 75-140 severe gear, would be nice to go to 1 oil.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2007, 09:18:52 AM »

REGGAB do you get any noise out of the tranny running the 20-50 in it?  I'm using the 75-140 severe gear, would be nice to go to 1 oil.

No Sir!  Just as quiet as it was with the Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W140..........and it clicks into gear easier when cold.  Smooth as glass and very quiet.  Very happy with the change.

REGGAB

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2007, 09:23:17 AM »

Thanks for the info... Yeah, I've decided to go with 1 brand myself to save the hassle of dealing with multiple brands.
I see you're getting that post count up; must have not slept last night !  ;D WOW....

One brand just makes it so much easier, especially with a fine product like AMSOIL.  I did last term's researcch paper on AMSOIL's customer service and warranty provisions in relation to those of HD.  Learned alot during the research, which was beyond the scope of my paper.  That is when I made the switch in the transmission.  Plus, the AMSOIL doesn't smell nasty like the Bel-Ray.
I was up pretty late.  Wired!  New school term, which means another research paper over which to worry............so I tried to burn off all that energy with this site and a bottle of Glenlivet.  It kicked in shortly after 2am, so I did get a little sleep.  Full of coffee and ready for the day now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.