Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NOISY FUEL PUMP  (Read 6789 times)

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
NOISY FUEL PUMP
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:22:19 AM »

actually sings and sometimes groans abit, i can actually hear it sitting at stop signs.
anyone experience this? "2003 raodking"

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: NOISY FUEL PUMP
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »

This is interesting. On Terry's (TCnBham) recent ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway we ran into an '03 SED (Screamin' Eagle Deuce) that was having some mechanical difficulties. We listened to him start the bike and the fuel pump was making a considerable more noise then either of our bikes. This rider was experiencing loss of power at times and we thought it was related to the noise coming from the fuel pump. He was able to get it to a dealer nearby and it was diagnosed as a bad/broken spark plug and the sound coming from his fuel pump wasn't part of the problem. :nixweiss: If this noise is something new and the bike is still running good it may be early signs of fuel pump failure. :nixweiss: There should be a gauge that would measure fuel pump pressure to see if that has changed.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:59 PM »

How many miles on the bike??  Some times the filter will cause that, not often though more so a line with a hole in it will create weird noise's .  The line , wearing a hole into itself is very common, depending on what line it is and where , vs amount of fuel in the tank.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:15:40 AM »

12000 miles on the bike, started making noise on and off late last year , bike runs great, its one o them things, im sure it isnt correct but i hate to have it torn apart although ive got the extended warranty through 2010, gonna try and wait til late fall, unless i hear from somone that has had the same thing and advises me differently. its definitely the pump, it groans for a second or so after the bike is shut off. pretty weird.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »

12000 miles on the bike, started making noise on and off late last year , bike runs great, its one o them things, im sure it isnt correct but i hate to have it torn apart although ive got the extended warranty through 2010, gonna try and wait til late fall, unless i hear from somone that has had the same thing and advises me differently. its definitely the pump, it groans for a second or so after the bike is shut off. pretty weird.

See the response from GMR above.  It could be the pump itself, but there was also a fairly widespread problem with the internal fuel line from the pump getting a hole worn in it from rubbing inside the tank.  Either way, it's not a normal condition and most likely it is signalling an impending failure.  If it were mine I'd have the dealer pull the pump and check the lines, then replace the pump if the lines check OK.  Even the typical Harley dealer should be able to handle this without screwing it up.  And I'd prefer to schedule something like this to suit my personal situation, not wait for it to quit running completely and then have to wait for the dealer to find the time to work me in.  JMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52:18 AM »

See the response from GMR above.  It could be the pump itself, but there was also a fairly widespread problem with the internal fuel line from the pump getting a hole worn in it from rubbing inside the tank.  Either way, it's not a normal condition and most likely it is signalling an impending failure.  If it were mine I'd have the dealer pull the pump and check the lines, then replace the pump if the lines check OK.  Even the typical Harley dealer should be able to handle this without screwing it up.  And I'd prefer to schedule something like this to suit my personal situation, not wait for it to quit running completely and then have to wait for the dealer to find the time to work me in.  JMHO.

Jerry

The Fuel Filter Kit, P/N 61001-01 includes the filter, 2 clamps, o-ring and new pump to filter hose. These should all be changed when replacing the fuel filter. That line is susceptible to wear. That's why it's in the kit. It really shouldn't be considered a wear item, but it's location makes it prone. Good call to check that line. Or better yet, get the kit and replace everything while your there.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »

Howie,

I think you forgot to mention that there a special Harley tool needed to clamp the fuel line if trhey use the clamps that come in that kit.   Hate to see people run out and buy a kit then figure out they don't have the tools necessary to finish the job and have to run out and buy 2 additional clamps that they can work with.

The Fuel Filter Kit, P/N 61001-01 includes the filter, 2 clamps, o-ring and new pump to filter hose. These should all be changed when replacing the fuel filter. That line is susceptible to wear. That's why it's in the kit. It really shouldn't be considered a wear item, but it's location makes it prone. Good call to check that line. Or better yet, get the kit and replace everything while your there.

Hoist! 8)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

The tool is not really special more so just a crimping tool. You can use a set of side cut dyke pliers in a pinch. But the tool you need is maybe 10 bucks at sears. You can rent the tool from auto zone. CV boot clamp crimper. But good point, I forget some times that not every one has a shop full of tools. Service manual is a must and that will list the tools you would need as well.

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 10:03:01 AM »

well heres the skinny on my call to the local hd dealer service dept where the bike was also bought. and the following doesnt surprise me. and i quote "there is no problem according to hd untill the pump quits working," up until that point all noises etc are considered normal. thats it. so to have this covered by the warranty that was purchased i will have to wait til it quits working, or pony up the dough. sort of feels like the wrong end of a one night stand?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

Funny as if the afr gets so lean from lack of fuel pressure and takes a cylinder out , when there was a easy fix that makes no sense at all. Make the pump stop, and have them tow the bike to the shop,  or ask that question are they willing to pay for the tow?? 

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:46:18 AM »

if memory serves, the hole in the line was common on 2002-2003 bikes. like steve said, the resulting lean condition can damage the engine, but worse---------------imagine the engine stalling as you are merging into freeway traffic at 70 mph. warranty after the pump quits??? easy for that to happen. :coolblue:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »

Stormer,

Not that I would ever suggest a dealer could possibly be wrong, but I do believe I would make another call to whoever the contact is for your service contract.  Since the factory warranty is long gone, it is the service contract folks who have the last say.  And I believe I would make some of the points mentioned here in other posts:  it is a known issue, it has the potential to cause severe engine damage, it also has the potential to totally disable the bike and/or cause an accident.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 10:55:53 PM »

How many miles on the bike??  Some times the filter will cause that, not often though more so a line with a hole in it will create weird noise's .  The line , wearing a hole into itself is very common, depending on what line it is and where , vs amount of fuel in the tank.

Funny as if the afr gets so lean from lack of fuel pressure and takes a cylinder out , when there was a easy fix that makes no sense at all. Make the pump stop, and have them tow the bike to the shop,  or ask that question are they willing to pay for the tow?? 

I just brought my bike in for these symptoms and thought for sure I had a failed head gasket leaking oil into the cylinder causing pinging, overheating and very hard cold starting. turns out it was a hole in the fuel line as stated above, I had a hard time believing this could cause all these problems until I read this thread, thought the dealer was pullin my chain and trying to cover somthing up. thanks, I love this place  :bananarock:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Stormer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »

thanks for all the input, here is the latest.the extended warranty sold through hd is not a hd warranty. at least mine isnt. it is a company out west somewhere that underwrites the polic, i need to dig through the paperwork to get names and addresses, phone #'s. im going to call them and explain the situation and possible dangers that could arise and see if anyone will listen, i will let you all know what happens and the actual name of the insurer.

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.