Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canada  (Read 1330 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Canada
« on: June 04, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »

Later this month I'm going to be taking a trip across Wisconsin, the UP of Michigan, then into Canada and loop back around Lake Superior.  I'll only be in Canada for a couple of days.  My qustion is, do I need to convert US dollars to Canadian dollars or can I just use the US dollars?  The exchange rate today is almost 1:1.

I have a passport so no problem there.

HarleyBee103

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTK
Re: Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:17:44 PM »

Though not quite 1:1, the loonie is at it's highest level in 30 years.  The majority of businesses will take US funds and more often than not will display the current exchange rate.  The rate provided at gas stations and restaurants will not be what the bank will give you...not a bad idea to convert $100 for incidentals. 
Nelson, BC (2007)
Sedona, AR (2008)
Hood River, OR (2009)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 01:25:19 AM »

I always convert a few bucks for walking around money and use the plastic for as much as possible. 

The bank will give a favorable rate and not charge a big service fee on your card. 

I usually hit a cash machine when I get into Canada for the same reason, easy access and no huge service fee.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »

most forms of plastic charge a conversion fee. as other have said get some cash. i use my ATM card after i cross no fees from my bank, no exchange fee from the "bureau de change" at this point most places will either give you 1-1 or maybe 5%
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:50:53 AM »

most forms of plastic charge a conversion fee. as other have said get some cash. i use my ATM card after i cross no fees from my bank, no exchange fee from the "bureau de change" at this point most places will either give you 1-1 or maybe 5%

I should have indicated I use the debit card at the ATM for the cash.

The credit card company fee is very small versus the friggin' fee I paid to my local bank to get some New Zealand dollars on my last trip.  I won't make that mistake again.

Another tip is to spend it all before you come back.  Credit on last nights Canadian room etc.  The charge to convert back to U S dollars is also ridiculous.

Our local K Mart at the border will give a great exchange rate for U S to Canadian to attract customers, not sure if that is a local practice or not.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:55:44 AM »

if i have any left i save it for my next trip, we seem to be in CA at least twice a year ( might have something to do with me and my BSR honeymooning there )
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:08:09 AM »

if i have any left i save it for my next trip, we seem to be in CA at least twice a year ( might have something to do with me and my BSR honeymooning there )

I usually end up with some.  This trip with the exchange this high I may try to dump it though.

If I have $100.00 left and don't get back for a year, it could drop $20.00 that could go to OCD trinkets, or BEER. :huepfenjump3:

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.