Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handlebar positioning?  (Read 2548 times)

sailfish

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Handlebar positioning?
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »

Hi all,
So need some opinions.....
I have an 07, and am about 6'2", and it seems my neck and shoulders are feeling it a little on rides of 150 miles plus.
Just need some thoughts from some of you who have made adjustments, or gotten different bars, or are tall, or who just like to give opinions in general! haha
I see in the 08 Harley parts catalog, they have a tall boy handlbar available in September. Any other comapnies make something that might make my ride fit me better? Will a tall boy work that raises the bar up about 2 inches?
07 FLHTCUSE2
07 Harley Deluxe(wife never lets me ride it, cause she loves it!)

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
Re: Handlebar positioning?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 10:26:52 AM »

sailfish,  TC, Twolanerider and a lot others have done the Wild One WO575's.  (They would be a good contact person to talk to)  You will want the Dimple on for the Hydraulic Clutch side if you order,  But I think that a person that is your height you should not have that problem, I'm about 5'10", 5'11" on a good day and it kinda bothers me as well, I am thinking about doing that as well but it will be a winter project for me.  Don told me as well as TC will say that they would not have another dresser without them.  Hopes this helps.

Good Luck.
bubba
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:38:24 AM »

Hi all,
So need some opinions.....
I have an 07, and am about 6'2", and it seems my neck and shoulders are feeling it a little on rides of 150 miles plus.
Just need some thoughts from some of you who have made adjustments, or gotten different bars, or are tall, or who just like to give opinions in general! haha
I see in the 08 Harley parts catalog, they have a tall boy handlbar available in September. Any other comapnies make something that might make my ride fit me better? Will a tall boy work that raises the bar up about 2 inches?

Sailfish...I'm one with the Wild 1 Chubby 575's.  You probably have a problem because you're reaching too far down.  I'm short, so had a problem because I was reaching too far forward.  The new and improved version of these bars have tapered ends, so no longer have a "dimple" for the hydraulic clutch.  It's better because you can position the controls wherever you want them.  These bars are 1 1/4" outside, with a 1" diameter for the riser clamps and the controls.  Only thing else I needed was a 2+" brake line kit.  The bars are about 1.5 - 2" up, a much better wrist angle, and a little bit back, depending on where you position them.  Forward angle is of course limited to some extent by the inner fairing.  The bars work well, and the 1 1/4" looks better, IMO.  They are also set up for our internal wiring.

Check with hd-dude (Jim) on here...he is a dealer for the bars, and will save you some money.  He can also get you the Goodrich version of the stainless brake lines, or you can order from one of the 20% HD dealers.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »

Just curious if anyone has adjusted the handlebars a little higher (maybe an inch). I'm also 6'2" and was thinking that adjusting them higher would give me the feel I was looking for.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 01:33:09 PM »

Are you talking about loosening the clamps and changing the angle?  There's no way to "raise" the bars in the existing clamps, so changing the position is about all you can do, and that would be a lot of trouble for a nickel, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »

yep, just talking about changing the angle..........I'm going to have the dealer work on some warranty stuff (XM only plays out of the left speakers) and they'll already have the fairing off, so I thought it might be a good option.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:42:57 PM »

yep, just talking about changing the angle..........I'm going to have the dealer work on some warranty stuff (XM only plays out of the left speakers) and they'll already have the fairing off, so I thought it might be a good option.

They will probably have to remove the lower inner fairing and the radio to get to the bolts holding the clamps on...just a heads up on the potential labor charges involved.  If they've got the radio out anyway, not a big deal.  The XM module sits on top of the radio, so if it's bad, they won't pull the entire radio.  It's just four bolts and a few connections to pull it though.

TTS Mastertune

sailfish

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:18:31 PM »

Sailfish...I'm one with the Wild 1 Chubby 575's.  You probably have a problem because you're reaching too far down.  I'm short, so had a problem because I was reaching too far forward.  The new and improved version of these bars have tapered ends, so no longer have a "dimple" for the hydraulic clutch.  It's better because you can position the controls wherever you want them.  These bars are 1 1/4" outside, with a 1" diameter for the riser clamps and the controls.  Only thing else I needed was a 2+" brake line kit.  The bars are about 1.5 - 2" up, a much better wrist angle, and a little bit back, depending on where you position them.  Forward angle is of course limited to some extent by the inner fairing.  The bars work well, and the 1 1/4" looks better, IMO.  They are also set up for our internal wiring.

Check with hd-dude (Jim) on here...he is a dealer for the bars, and will save you some money.  He can also get you the Goodrich version of the stainless brake lines, or you can order from one of the 20% HD dealers.

Sounds like you might have my remedy! Does Jim have a website or anything, so I can contact him/get parts numbers, etc?

Chris
07 FLHTCUSE2
07 Harley Deluxe(wife never lets me ride it, cause she loves it!)

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »

Thanks for the warning Terry.......will watch it.........

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »

Sounds like you might have my remedy! Does Jim have a website or anything, so I can contact him/get parts numbers, etc?

Chris

Jim is one of the moderators here...

Shoot him a PM...he's a great guy and extremely helpful.  He'll even supply phone tech support if needed during the install... :2vrolijk_21:  He's in california...a lot of the Left Coast guys let Jim do all the work on their bikes...he's one of a kind!!

TTS Mastertune

cvTony

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 08:58:17 PM »

Dealer adjusted my bars no charge as a prep adjustment about two weeks after I got the bike. I had them pulled back (down) some, (short arms like TC). They only had to remove the lower innner fairing to make the adjustment. Only a slight improvement for me, someday will do a bar change.
2006 FLHTCUSE B/C
1993 Sportster 883/1220
1990 FLHTC Peace Officer S/E (gone and missed)
1974 XLCH 1000 (gone, thank God)

SEEG Geezer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 11:07:44 PM »

Thanks for the info...I may just have to go with new bars.......we'll see how the "adjustment" goes.........

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.