Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skipping starter  (Read 1025 times)

barkleydog

• Junior CVO Member
Skipping starter
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »

I have a flhrsei2 and had a Harley chrome starter put on when it was about a year old. At the time the starter would skip but only once in a while, so of course when I would take it in they " could not duplicate". Now it skips about every other time. I had it at the shop yesterday for fluids and a rear tire and no one mentioned I had a problem. I did not bring it up either cause I had already waited 4.5 hours for the service and since it was Sunday and they had problems with changing a tire, I thought I would wait for a full crew of Techs. I would bet the good ones were not working on a Sunday.

Anywho, do any of you guys know of what i speak? Is this grinding my starter gear and other gear to bits? Should I get it looked at right away or is it somewhat normal. BTH it sounds like chit and is very embarrasing when people see such a good looking bike sound like a junker....

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: Skipping starter
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »

had tha same problem a few times...sounds like the starter clutch is going on you ...if you keep (grinding) or skipping as you say,,you will cause further damage..ring gear,jackshaft gear....etc...a known problem with the hd starter....I went with a  hi tourque starter this time around...hope this helps
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 26 queries.