Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different luggage rack-buy new lid or fill holes with what?  (Read 1723 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

My cherry was 6 months old when I bought it and had the small luggage rack which is basically for looks.  All of the larger luggage racks have different mounting patterns.  I will find out what a SEEG2 lid costs tomorrow.  I don't know what would be the best way to fill the non used holes with chrome bolts or covers of some sort if I didn't buy a lid that would look acceptable.  I have the tour pack spoiler also but I haven't looked yet to see if I kept the mounting templet if I bought a new lid. 

How many people use their luggage rack?  I like the look of the chopped but may be better off with a king?  Any and all oppinions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Bob.

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
Re: Different luggage rack-buy new lid or fill holes with what?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »

I've got the small rack and use it daily. Have a small T-Bags roll bag attached for smaller items.

Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 12:31:32 AM »

Bob, you're going to have to want a new luggage rack very badly.  MSRP on a new lid is almost $900.00 now.  Over $700 at Chicago HD.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:26:35 AM »

Bob,  I think you want the King Tour Pak if you can afford it, leave the chopped one the way you got it now.  I have not even had my chopped tour pak on my bike for more than a year.  Have found that a T-Bag is larger, carries more for traveling, but I have a partner with the King tour pak that carries all the clothes for two.  He has the King Tour Pak with the large rack on it. The rack has been well used.  With the tour pak liner in the King Tour Pak, two of us can carry all the clothes we need for three tour across America.  When not travelling, it holds both of our half helmets if we feel a need to secure them.  Just my opinion.  Hate to see you keep adding holes to the lid of your current tour pak. 

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:04:23 AM »

Bob, you're going to have to want a new luggage rack very badly.  MSRP on a new lid is almost $900.00 now.  Over $700 at Chicago HD.

$900 for the lid alone? Geesh. I've got both the chopped and the king Tpaks. Only use the king when touring. Never put the rack on the chopped and sometimes miss the functionality of a rack. Be forewarned, if you buy the king T/P you'll be spending a lot more for the antenna, mounting rack, misc. hardware, backrest, etc.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 08:26:43 AM »

Thanks for the reality check everyone.  Never knew a lid would be $7-900 by itself when a king pack is $850 less 15-20%..  I realize you have to buy backrests, luggage rack, side lights, tour pack spoiler, mounting hardware, rear speakers with amp and could easily reach $2000 for a king setup.  I will check into the Tbag Jim is using, just figured that most bags would rub the lid on both sides of the rack unless you put someting between the lid and the bag.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »

I'm suggesting to do what others here have done.........keep the chopped tour pack and just buy the King tour pack for the touring trips.  For antenna I use the Dakota Digital and put a polished stainless steel button head bolt in the antenna holes.  King tour pack rack and I have the Dekker Supreme bag for the top and a couple others, too.

I love the convience.......holds my little ice chest in the tour pack, shirts and underclothes, shaving kit and toiletries in the bag on the rack, my leathers in one saddle bag, hers in the other (keeps the weight lower).  Then when we get to the motel for the evening, just take the top bag in and don't have to worry about unloading the bike.  Lock it up and call it a day.   If we're staying for a few days, then the tour pack and all comes off and goes inside.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:05:15 AM »

I'm suggesting to do what others here have done.........keep the chopped tour pack and just buy the King tour pack for the touring trips.  For antenna I use the Dakota Digital and put a polished stainless steel button head bolt in the antenna holes.  King tour pack rack and I have the Dekker Supreme bag for the top and a couple others, too.

I love the convience.......holds my little ice chest in the tour pack, shirts and underclothes, shaving kit and toiletries in the bag on the rack, my leathers in one saddle bag, hers in the other (keeps the weight lower).  Then when we get to the motel for the evening, just take the top bag in and don't have to worry about unloading the bike.  Lock it up and call it a day.   If we're staying for a few days, then the tour pack and all comes off and goes inside.
I agree w/what JC and others that have stated get the King Tourpak along w/Dekker Supreme bag by T-Bags. Unfortunately/fortunately (however you want to look at it) my bike didn't come w/either tourpaks. I like the looks of the chopped tourpak but couldn't see paying $100 more for less space and the majority of the time I would be using it would be for traveling and I would need all the space I could get. As JC stated if I'm going to be in one place for several days I remove it. I have one of the Freedom Rubber Duckie antenna's that I use on the bike all the time, and keep the long whip on the tourpak so when I get to a place I want to remove the tourpak I just unscrew the cable and screw rubber duckie antenna in.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:09:38 AM »

Thanks for the reality check everyone.  Never knew a lid would be $7-900 by itself when a king pack is $850 less 15-20%..  I realize you have to buy backrests, luggage rack, side lights, tour pack spoiler, mounting hardware, rear speakers with amp and could easily reach $2000 for a king setup.  I will check into the Tbag Jim is using, just figured that most bags would rub the lid on both sides of the rack unless you put someting between the lid and the bag.

Scary price isn't it.  Figured when you saw that you'd just be getting the king pak to cover the alternative.  Ever red SEEG needs to be a trivertible.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

Bob...a lot of the bags, like most of the Kury's, have a rigid liner in them to help them hold their shape, so they don't droop at the ends.  I've got the 4024 (I think that's the number) and really like it.  Mounts to the small rack just fine.  Someone else found that the 4044 works well too. Kury's site is slow right now, or I'd be more specific about those numbers.

Those are just a couple of options if you dont' want to invest in the large TP.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 10:51:37 PM »

The U-Shaped Tourpak Medallion uses the same mounting holes as the small rack, I have been told. It is chrome and non-offensive.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.