Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air cleaner cover fell off twice  (Read 1318 times)

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
Air cleaner cover fell off twice
« on: June 30, 2007, 05:02:26 AM »

Anyone have this problem? I have an 07 SE Ultra with SE filter and backplate. Twice the darn thing fell off after 1000km + rides. Had to ordewr a new cover 2nd time .Used locktight etc & I know what I'm doing. I actually drilled through the standoffs this time and wired them together. So at least if it vibrates loose I won't lose it. Remember
the old Hds. They came like that from the factory.

Muffman

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Air cleaner cover fell off twice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »

There's been problems with the standoff bolts shearing off at the Throttle Body, but not backing out.  Blue loctite and just snugging them down usually does the trick though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:33:22 AM »

I did use the blue locktite and somehow it is still threading loose. I'm wondering if maybe the standoff bolts aren't long enough with the SE air cleaner cover.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:51:36 AM »

I did use the blue locktite and somehow it is still threading loose. I'm wondering if maybe the standoff bolts aren't long enough with the SE air cleaner cover.

I'm confused now. The standoff bolts aren't affected by the cover because they are inside the air filter element. Can you include a picture?

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:24:06 AM »

I'm confused now. The standoff bolts aren't affected by the cover because they are inside the air filter element. Can you include a picture?
Me too! Did the AC cover come loose or the shoulder bolts/filter/ AC cover come off? Are you using the SE backplate too or stock?  I was one who posted pix of the sheered shoulder bolts. Originally the AC cover was loose because the stock cover bolt is short ( there are two version short and long) when changed to longer fixed the AC cover vibration. There are other shoulder bolts (Arlen Ness, Doherty, etc.) that appear to be better quality than HD version. While I have seen on my bike every variation in loosing covers, filter, bolts backing out has not been one of them. John
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »

Someone else had this problem with the Dougherty, just can't remember who it was.   I would call them (Dougherty) and ask what the deal is.   Another question is are you using and Extended Air Cleaner beyond that of the Ness, Zippers, or K&N?   I have had some problems when I used the Zippers Extended with sheering of the stand off's and breaking of the stand offs.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 04:39:44 AM »

Hi guys. Back to the air cleaner problem. It is actually the 3 standoff bolts that came loose thereby losing the
entire air filter,standoff bolts and the cover. I am using the chrome SE backplate with SE filter, not the thicker
Zippers. I just purchased a new SE setup/complete with backplate & filter. These standoffs in the package are
different than the ones that fell off. I did drill & wire these ones. Let's wait & see happens.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.