Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pricey Front Fender  (Read 1384 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Pricey Front Fender
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:05:18 PM »

Just got back from the dealer where I went to get an estimate for my SERK's  'christening' which happened yesterday.
It seems that Mr. Harley engineer didn't think through the detachable windshield mounting system far enough. Net result was that my bike's windshield was blown off by a landing helicopter while it was parked near (about 150 feet ) the helipad.
Now before everyone begins to think that I must really be stupid to park there, let me just say that I had only stopped by to run in and pick up my paycheck ( I work in the health care field), and am painfully aware of the incompatability of active helicopters and parked motorcycles. The helipads lights were off (indicating no expected flights), and the payroll checks were not in the department yet, so I went to our breakroom to fix a cup of coffee and voila....the next thing I know is when one of my co-workers informed me that the helicopter had just blown off the windshield on my bike! I exited the break room and saw my windshield lying on the ER nurse's station.
No usual forwarning of the anticipated landing.
The best part was when I noticed the ding in my front fender, and recalled someone else on this forum posting a similar account (from gusty wind - no helicopter) and warning about tightening-up the quick detachable keepers -- which I did, but apparently not enough.
Total is $304.95 for the complete windshield, and $870.00 for the front fender plus labor and tax comes to $1,328.15.
Guesstimated 8 weeks lead time for the fender.
No apology from anyone. No one willing to accept accountability. I'll likely have to eat my deductable and hope my premiums don't soar.
I should have gotten direct deposit.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: Pricey Front Fender
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 02:16:44 PM »

Sorry to hear of your loss and yeah get that direct deposit started on your next deposit, it's awesome

Not knowing what your deductable is but maybe just pay the whole $1,328.15, so your premium doesn't take a hike.
Also do you need the entire windshield and frame? or can you just replace the Lexan?

I carry a $1,000.00 deductable for just reasons like this and I would never make a claim for $1,400 bucks but hey that's me

jeffj
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:24:06 PM by jeffj »

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »

JeffJ;
I have a $500.00 deductable on comp., and my insurance agent said that my premiums should NOT go up as "....it wasn't your fault...."
I want to believe her as it occured while the bike was parked, but insurance companies seem similar to the oil industry ---- they'll raise the price on a whim whenever it suits them with no seeming connection to reality or logic.
I'm considering NOT submitting a claim and just paying it out of pocket, but there's that part of me that screams out for justice and fairness that asks why should it cost me ANYTHING to stop by my place of employ to pick up my paycheck? He!!, I'm REQUIRED to carry insurance and be responsible for anything I own that is taken out on the road -- whether I'm operating it or someone else ---wouldn't you think the same would/should apply to an aircraft?
When I asked my agent if she had ever heard of, or could research previous claims history with her company wrt helicopter-related incidents, she mentioned that perhaps they have 'immunity' like a borough or municipality which she claims to have some firsthand knowledge of. Must be nice to have  'immunity' in this day and age. If anyone else can speak to this issue, I'd sure be willing to read about it and try to digest it.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »

Sorry to hear your mis-fortunes, was wondering what your employer stated about your claim of damage at the facility, undubtedly they must have insurance that covers matters, such as this, that occur on their property. Hope you get a favorable result brother.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:46:09 PM »

Finally today I got to speak with the proper person wrt my incident. Seems he was on vacation, but few others in administration knew this. What he said seems encouraging. He'll get a copy of the incident report filed by the security guard on duty during the mishap, and then contact the company that operates the flight service. He didn't come right out and say that it was a sure thing, but it seemed like he's had success in the past (with similar incidents) recouping costs of damages.
Please ya'll say a little prayer for me on this one! I've learned my lesson. I will never go near a helipad again with any motorcycle. I will treat them as a firearm --- i.e. there's no such thing as an unloaded gun, or there's no such thing as an inactive helipad!

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:53:45 PM »

Prayer out Brother.

Diese1nut

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 08:53:25 AM »

There was ome on ebay last week, all painted, no damage.
I don't know if it's still there.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 09:36:15 AM »

Prayer book open!!

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »

D-Nut;

Thanx for the lead, but my dealer already got my new fender in. Told me about 8 weeks lead time, but guess what? He called 8 DAYS later and said it's in. Also required a deposit to place the order so I'm locked-in, so to speak to the tune of a $400.00 deposit.
I'm still trying to get the responsible party to step up and cover my damages. I've had to chase everyone around to keep the process moving forward. Christ, seems like no one wants to do their job!
I wish I could go somewhere and get 'reprogrammed' so I could feel good about going through life like this. I've been cursed with the I-give-a-chit attitude my whole life, and in this day and age it's more of a liability than an asset.

leoniru

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.