Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just got back from having the bike tuned.......  (Read 3099 times)

mnm327

Just got back from having the bike tuned.......
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »

Well I guess this is a start, not extremely happy with the numbers but like I said this is a start.....

07 FXSTSSE, V&H 2n2 Big Radius, Thunder Monster Baffles -

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Just got back from having the bike tuned.......
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 10:27:17 AM »

Looks like afr is all over the place

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:31:18 AM »

Well I guess this is a start, not extremely happy with the numbers but like I said this is a start.....

What type of tuning device? Like Rooster said the AFR is all over the place. You should have a flat line at about 13.2-13.5. I would not pay for a "tune" that looked like this.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:41:31 AM »

Like hd-dude and Rooster said the af #'s are everywhere.
They should be more like the below.

Attached 120 Frontier dyno sheet before(redline) and after(blueline) tune.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 11:42:20 AM »

It should be flat lined to represent a good tune. See mine attached.

Miker

mnm327

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »

I was told the tuner tried for sometime to clean up the dip in the AFR between 2500 and 4400 RPM but couldn't. :nixweiss:

I've had several bikes tuned in the past, though this is the first one by this dealer.  I thought I had confidence in the work they do, Dr Dyno (see easyriders articles on dyno tuning) had nothing but good things to say about this dealership.

The dyno sheet is from a WOT run, the Cruise run has a much straighter AFR.  Does everyone here agree that the tuner should have been able to get those dips out of my AFR?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:27:04 PM »

MnM327,

Did they use a power commander or a racetuner or other ?

Who did it?

You shouldn't have to settle for this as a starting point.  While you have a good attitude about it, it's bullchit to have to put up with that type of work from a tuner that you paid to do the job.   Now if they did it for free it is what it is for free.

In either case the base harley map is very conservative on timing and a lot of the number can be found by advancing the timing safely and setting the volumetrics correctly.   

Personally I would be asking for my money back.   Since you have true duals they should be giving you 2 of these one for each cylinder.   Did they offer you any sheets to see how fuel curve was from say 2 - 15 percent throttle to see that the bike would run good on the street.   

WOT is great for bragging rights, but it really is just that.   I would be more concerned with how the bike runs where you ride it most and that is the 2 - 15 percent range.   The guys with Thundermaxes can tell you by time where they ride the most as it is easily documented in the unit.

I would find a better tuner if it were me.

Good luck with it,
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

mnm327

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »

I'm using the PCIII, supposedly the AFR is much flatter at cruise speed but I'll find our for sure later today (I have to go back and pick up the dyno sheet from the cruise run).

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »

I was told the tuner tried for sometime to clean up the dip in the AFR between 2500 and 4400 RPM but couldn't. :nixweiss:

I've had several bikes tuned in the past, though this is the first one by this dealer.  I thought I had confidence in the work they do, Dr Dyno (see easyriders articles on dyno tuning) had nothing but good things to say about this dealership.

The dyno sheet is from a WOT run, the Cruise run has a much straighter AFR.  Does everyone here agree that the tuner should have been able to get those dips out of my AFR?

You can usually limit the dips to +/- .2 from the target.   If you have them they are usually very minimal not as bad as you have. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:44:44 PM »

There should be a cruise run for each percentage of throttle per cylinder.

0,2,5,10,20,40 they can hold the throttle or use cruise to get the data.   Beyond 40 they do sweep runs.  Dynoject has a tool for holding the throttle so that you can set a specific percentage of throttle.

You should be most concerned with the 2,5,10,20 which is where you will do most of your riding.   I would venture to to say 90+ percent of it.

mnm327

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »

Ok this is what I've been told, the tuner was shoot for maximum performance (TQ) at each point along the power band.  He claims the best power was made by enriching the fuel at those points in the power band, when he went for a straight line AFR he lost power.  :nixweiss:

Am I eating a chit sandwich here or does this seem plausible?

Gunn Runner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:58:09 PM »

My 110 a/f  13.2 - 13.3 thru 5500 rpms...then slips to 13.0 between 5500 and 6000.....HP is 83 and torque is 103 #.........you need to get the a/f ration re-set between 13.2 - 13.3.
Gunn Runner

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 12:59:59 PM »

With only 17 runs on the bike I doubt this is a complete story.   There should be as many runs showing that he tried to adjust the timing forward on each cylinder as well as throwing fuel at this.   Trying to do both at the same time really doesn't tell you what worked or if it worked well. 

I would also compare this to a lot of the dyno sheets done by John Golden since he is well respected nation wide for his ability to tune the power commander and then you make a decision.   

The other concern is the Power Commander is only a lay on top of the starting point from what is programmed into the ECM from the MOCO.  So if the volumetrics are not good / really close you have a skewed starting point that you have to work from compensate for.   

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:11:01 PM »

sorry but that dont looks good 8)

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.