Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TMAX Tuned...No More Detonation!!  (Read 1347 times)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
TMAX Tuned...No More Detonation!!
« on: July 15, 2007, 04:04:43 PM »

Well, I'm one of those that started having extreme detonation "pinging" issues as soon as the weather warmed up a few months ago.  I am happy to report that the pinging issues are now gone.  The motor is a Zippers 117" kit with their ThunderMax ECM running in open loop (no oxygen sensors).  I took the bike to Jim Brown of Braggin' Rights Tuning in central Fl...Harry (unbalanced) and Ron (Rhino) met me there to observe/lend assistance if needed.  Assistance wasn't needed...Jim knew exactly what to do, and it took all of about 15 -20 minutes max.  He began retarding the timing at 1,750 rpm's, stepping it down to minus 6 degrees, held it there until about 2,500 rpm's, then began stepping it back up until it was back to normal at 2,800 rpm's.  I've ridden it about 400 miles since in 95+ degree heat/humidity and no more pinging.  Also, I did not lose any performance, which was proven by another dyno run after the tuning was done.  At the same time, he checked all other tuning parameters, which he said were perfect.  AFR was a solid 13.0 all the way up to almost redline...it fell to 12.8 near redline.  I'm happy with it now.  Thanks Harry and Ron for coming over and observing...enjoyed meeting you guys.  Maybe we can get together and ride soon!
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: TMAX Tuned...No More Detonation!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:27:02 PM »

SCRM-R,
 Good for you! Glad to hear you got the kinks out. Enjoy the fine riding weather down there. Thumbs up to Jim! It is awesome that Harry and Ron where around for you, the reason I love this site and it's members so much.

SOKOOL

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 06:16:12 PM »

Great to hear you got it all worked out, I felt the same way after getting my TMAX bike tuned!   
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »

That's good news Marvin.  Glad you had a relatively simple solution and are enjoying the ride again  :2vrolijk_21: .

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »

Glad it's running good now, is there a reason your not running closed loop? Just no O2 sensors installed? You should send the map to Zipper!

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »

Glad it's running good now, is there a reason your not running closed loop? Just no O2 sensors installed? You should send the map to Zipper!
It's an '03 bike...no 02 sensors, and I didn't want them installed.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Rhino

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »

Hey Marvin,

Sometimes it simply takes a bit of knowledge to make it work.  In this case, the timing was retarded from the base map in theb exact rpm parameter that eveidenced the pinging. .  That does not mean it was actually retarded from the point set of the engine.  What you were experiencing was simply that the map advanced the config to much, and by lowering it, you brought it in line with what it needed.  That is the exact reason Jim tested this with the proper runs berfore and after. No power loss confirmed it. And fixed you right up. And we are all happy.  Glad you were proactive on this and let us come along.  I had Zippers on standby in the event we needed to go a bit further, but when Jim looked, and I called, to confirm, it was relativedly simple, and, as expected.

The rest of the setup was spot on, as the map was doing its job.  I did talk to Z about the map, and they agreed, when that map was done, and then was to be operated in open loop, it was set for high density and very cold environs.  Hot would have brought forth the ping, which, you now have under control.  Good Deal!!

So who wouldda thunk we would be riding in 98degree temps anyway! It has been one hot hot season so far.

Now, go out and burn that rear tire up some more.....Take care,

Rhino

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.