Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Places to stay/visit in Atlanta, GA  (Read 1310 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Places to stay/visit in Atlanta, GA
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »

We are planning on staying in Atlanta GA for 2 days in August and wondered if anyone has any suggestions on what to see and where to stay.  I have heard that the Coke factory is worth seeing.  Is there an "historic area".  Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
Re: Places to stay/visit in Atlanta, GA
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »

Atlanta Aquarium!  Probably one of the only chances most people will ever get to see Whale Sharks!  I certainly don't agree with keeping such beautiful creatures in captivity, but it has since been made illegal and no other aquarium will ever see these amazing creatures! 

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 03:38:13 AM »

The Aquarium is a definite on a trip to Atlanta, you can not visit "the coke factory" but next to the Aquarium there is the new World of Coke which is a museum and display of all things coke and is owned & operated by Coke Cola Corp. so it is very first class.  Around Atlanta are several historic civil war areas, the Margaret Mitchell house, the King Center & home, the Carter Center, etc.  All of that pales in comparison with some of the great riding roads in north Georgia just outside of Atlanta!!  Let me know if I can be of any asistance as I live just north of the city.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:24:36 AM »

Atlanta Aquarium!  Probably one of the only chances most people will ever get to see Whale Sharks!  I certainly don't agree with keeping such beautiful creatures in captivity, but it has since been made illegal and no other aquarium will ever see these amazing creatures! 

I beg to differ lilbear...they have 2 HUGE whale sharks here in the Okinawa Aquarium.  It is one of the best Aquariums that I have ever been to, haven't been to the Atlanta one, yet tho.  It beats the Mystic and the Monte Ray hands down.  Lil pricey and can't ride your bike to it either.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »

RR - In addition to what others have posted:

Take a ride out east of Atlanta to Stone Mt.  Great views & there is a tram - or you can hike up like we did. 

If you like hot dogs, the best chilli dogs in the southeast are at The Varsity.  Old Atlanta hot dog stand with greasy (great) food.  Downtown location is the one I go to most - several around the area.

Lots of other stuff to do in Atlanta.  Great food - great restaurants.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 02:17:31 PM »

I beg to differ lilbear...they have 2 HUGE whale sharks here in the Okinawa Aquarium.  It is one of the best Aquariums that I have ever been to, haven't been to the Atlanta one, yet tho.  It beats the Mystic and the Monte Ray hands down.  Lil pricey and can't ride your bike to it either.

Seegarz

Wasn't aware of the Whale Sharks in Okinawa!  Are you a Scuba Diver?  Okinawa has some incredible reefs!

charlie

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 09:21:24 PM »

Go to Stone MT. And if you have time take a trip north up 985 to Helen GA. It's a pretty neat town. It's about 1hour and 45 min.North.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 03:09:19 AM »

Wasn't aware of the Whale Sharks in Okinawa!  Are you a Scuba Diver?  Okinawa has some incredible reefs!

That is the biggest activity on the Rock but no I don't dive...uhh...ummmm...in the water.  I have been snorkeling but that is the extent.  I had every intention of getting certified while here but haven't done it.  I have been involved with promoting one of the lesser known activities on the island ice/roller hockey.  At one time I was coaching or helping to coach 7 teams...kinda limited my time off...and now I am getting ready to leave.  There are opportunities to actually swim with a whale shark here as well.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »

The Aquarium, The High museum of Art, Sone Mountain (there is an HD dealership close) , the best riding is north of town. You can make a nice loop heading up 9 through  Dahlonega , 60N through Turners Corner over Blood Mtn (129) and then over the Richard Russell Parkway to  Helen, which has a good place for food that is very bike friendly on the north end. (Hans') and good fishing in the river north of town, where Unicoi state  park and Anna Ruby Falls are. 
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »

What no "SEE ROCK CITY" suggestion?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »

What no "SEE ROCK CITY" suggestion?

Nowhere near as thrilling as the Corn Palace or Wall's Drug out west, but it has a LOT of rocks.

Near Chattynooga.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 26 queries.