Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: base gaskets at 4000 miles  (Read 914 times)

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
base gaskets at 4000 miles
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »

4000 miles on FXSTSSE and noticed the base gaskets were leaking,I went to the dealer today
and set up for my bike to go in to be fixed and was talking to SM about different heads
thinking about going with 110+ heads,10.5 pistons and one of 3 different cams the
SE-251,SE-260,or SE-264 what are your guys thoughts on cam choices in the 110?
All labor is no charge since it will be down on warrenty,also thoughts on heads?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: base gaskets at 4000 miles
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »

I seriously doubt you have a base gaskets leaking it is probably the head leaking down the stud holes and out the bottom.   I would tell you to look at the 251 or the 260 for your bike.   Your bike is not quite as heavy as the ultra's and the roadkings.   If your looking for the power down low then the 251 if your looking at it to kick in mid range and high end then the 260.

Why buy the 110 plus heads for the cost just have your heads flowed and add the high lift springs to yours.

You will end up with a much better set of heads by doing it this way and will be able to better match the heads / flow to the cam your looking to install.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:12:42 PM »

I seriously doubt you have a base gaskets leaking it is probably the head leaking down the stud holes and out the bottom.   I would tell you to look at the 251 or the 260 for your bike.   Your bike is not quite as heavy as the ultra's and the roadkings.   If your looking for the power down low then the 251 if your looking at it to kick in mid range and high end then the 260.

Why buy the 110 plus heads for the cost just have your heads flowed and add the high lift springs to yours.
You will end up with a much better set of heads by doing it this way and will be able to better match the heads / flow to the cam your looking to install.

Agree 100% with what Harry is saying...you'll be happier and get better performance/reliability in the long run.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »

Well I was thinking of buying because the dealer has 25% off every thing I buy this weekend,so I was thinking of 110+ heads and sell the old heads
and I wouldnt have alot of money into new heads.Thanks for all info guys it is all helpful

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.