Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine just stopped  (Read 1041 times)

ramd3704

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Engine just stopped
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:09:21 PM »

Was riding my bike this weekend with about 10 other bikers, rode about 110 miles. Have a fxdse 2007. I notice my breather cover was loose, so I called my dealer. They told me to bring it by and they would fix it, no problem. I was about 1/2 mile away and waiting at a light, and it just died. Had a hard time getting my bike started, finally did. Got about two blocks from the dealer, going around a curve, and it died again. The dealer seen me pushing it and came to my rescue. Its been 4 days and they still don't know why it stops. Any body might have a clue? I have not had any trouble up to this time, been running great. Running V&H big radius and SE mapping.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Engine just stopped
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:31:32 PM »

That sounds like a tough one, just stay on top of your dealer and sounds like they will take care of you.
Keep us posted and hope it isn't a new 110 problem.
GooD Luck!
TimBone

Too many experts!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 09:50:06 PM »

Just don't get disheartened. Disappointment is tough with your steed. That sort of fault MUST have left a trouble code.....?

ThatsmyRK

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »

A few questions when it stops do the lights go out head light, tail light turn signals?

Can you turn it over immediately or do you have to wait a few seconds or minutes?

I just went through something similiar to this be riding along and for no reason the bike would shut off.  I had 2 pinched wires in the hand grips and they were shorting out occasionally against the handlebars.

They replaced all the wires from battery to the starter, main relay, new ends on all wires, soldered, and crimped.

If the power goes off and comes back pretty quickly then something is tripping the main relay or a wire is getting hot.   From the starter back to the relay they can test the wires for how many ohms they have.   Should be like .1 ohm of resistence if it is higher than that something is wrong.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ramd3704

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:04:14 AM »

It would turn over, but not start right away. The lights stay on, and the check engine light is on. I wonder if the mapping could go bad. I had a SC mapping done with the V&H big radius. Thanks for everybody's ideas. I'm going to the dealer today.

ramd3704

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »

:)Got my bike today. they had to go through the wiring harness, and found a bad wirer that goes to the computer. Also found some others that were pinched. they went through the whole system, everything check good after wirer was fix. I think sense they got stranded with my bike on a test ride, made them work harder to fine the trouble. So far they have been a great dealer. They offered me a 2007 demo bike, till they got mine fixed. Time will tell if it's fixed. Thanks for everybody's input.

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 06:10:53 PM »

:)Got my bike today. they had to go through the wiring harness, and found a bad wirer that goes to the computer. Also found some others that were pinched. they went through the whole system, everything check good after wirer was fix. I think sense they got stranded with my bike on a test ride, made them work harder to fine the trouble. So far they have been a great dealer. They offered me a 2007 demo bike, till they got mine fixed. Time will tell if it's fixed. Thanks for everybody's input.

Glad to hear they may have identified the problem.  How did the wire go bad?

ramd3704

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:03:33 PM »

It was supposedly punched some how, and the end was not tight on the connector.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.