Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: October Issue American Rider  (Read 1111 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
October Issue American Rider
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »

I just got my October issue of American Rider magazine and on the cover was an anniversary color 2008 CVO Ultra!  :2vrolijk_21:
They also metion the anti-lock brakes ,4 other Screamin Eagles as well as other subjects.
The Ultra article is 4 pages with photos that look like the ones from Motorcycles USA site. The ABS testing article is 2 pages long. The full Harley 2008 lineup is discussed as well.
I have not had a chance to read anything yet but looks like the magazine will be an interesting read.
Sorry i don't have a scanner for you to see the articles.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
Re: October Issue American Rider
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:53 PM »

Is that one on the news stands?

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:35:04 PM »

I have seen American Rider on large news stands. It's an offshoot of Rider Magazine and has been out for quite a few years. Geared more for travel stories and ride impressions vs. custom bike and in depth tech artices. It does answer tech questions well so that a layman can understand.
I got this issue by subscription not sure if it has hit the stands yet?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:06:21 AM »

Is that one on the news stands?

It is Phaze.  I'm in So Cal on business so don't have access to my subsciption copy but it was on the newstand today and I picked it up.

American Rider started back in 04 with articles on the 04 SEEG and tech articles on the 103" motor, etc.  Buzz also printed letters from me and several other members of this forum and he actually responds to his emails and letters, personally and in a timely manner.  This issue has several articles on CVOs and issues related to baggers in genreral and CVOs in particular.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:05:46 PM »

Did anyone read the Techline article by Donny Petersen?  On the TC96 engines, the cam support plate doesn't even have a bearing for the rear cam journals!  The rear cam journals just rotate in the aluminum holes in the support plate!  Are the 110's like this also?   :-\I can't believe the engineers for the MoCo would sell the public a motorcycle built like this.  There are pictures on page 44 of this issue of Am. Iron.  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »

Did anyone read the Techline article by Donny Petersen?  On the TC96 engines, the cam support plate doesn't even have a bearing for the rear cam journals!  The rear cam journals just rotate in the aluminum holes in the support plate!  Are the 110's like this also?   :-\I can't believe the engineers for the MoCo would sell the public a motorcycle built like this.  There are pictures on page 44 of this issue of Am. Iron.  -Steve

Yes sir, that would be correct! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:08:33 PM »

I'm going to look for it on my next trip by a newstand.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »

I saw that also and it got my attention.  Does not seem good to me for longevity.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »

Did anyone read the Techline article by Donny Petersen?  On the TC96 engines, the cam support plate doesn't even have a bearing for the rear cam journals!  The rear cam journals just rotate in the aluminum holes in the support plate!  Are the 110's like this also?   :-\I can't believe the engineers for the MoCo would sell the public a motorcycle built like this.  There are pictures on page 44 of this issue of Am. Iron.  -Steve
Steve,

That has been true since the introduction of the new chain and tensioner system on the '06 Dyna.  As of the '07 model it is true of all Big Twins, including the CVO 110.  If you follow Donny's articles on a regular basis you'll find that he has been politely "bitching" about H-D's design changes for quite some time, at least the ones like this that turn what used to be easy repairs on the older models into major part changes on the new ones.  Read what he has to say about the lifter bores in the right crankcase.

H-D has been steadily cheapening the basic engine for many years now.  Donny Petersen claims it is planned obsolescence, designed to make rebuilds so expensive that folks just buy new instead.  Actually, in my opinion, it is a little more short term than that.  These kinds of changes reduce Harley's production costs immediately, both parts costs and labor.  The same was true of the change from the Timken bearing set on the drive side of the crankshaft, replaced by a simple ball bearing and thrust washer.  Their new engineering philosophy appears to be "design it to be just good enough, but not too good".  This doesn't bode well for anyone doing performance upgrades, unless they also spend additional money to upgrade all the Harley downgrades.

Harley could have easily used a replaceable plain bearing for the outer cam journals, but why add the expense?  As long as you maintain proper oil flow and pressure, the "parent material" bearing surface in the cam plate should survive just as well as a plain bearing insert.  The rub comes when you lose oil pressure and almost immediately gall the bearing surface.  Now instead of just replacing a bearing insert, you will have to replace the entire cam support plate.  Cheaper to produce, but much more expensive to repair.

To be fair, H-D isn't the only manufacturer doing these sorts of things.  We have pretty much become a throwaway society; the manufacturer's are just making it easier to throw their stuff away rather than repair it.  

Jerry

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:26:53 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.