Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERK vs. The Black Hills  (Read 1299 times)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
SERK vs. The Black Hills
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:16:22 AM »

or -Riding Impressions for my '07 SERK continued.

This was the first trip of more than 200 miles with the new bike.  Total distance was 1982 miles, with 200, 370 and 570 mile days getting to/from Hill City.  The bike is so-far stock but for cosmetic stuff, and has had only the valve spring clearance and tachometer issues.  Since the mini windshield is a trim piece I had a light grey 17" recurve Clearview shield on order that was going to be here before I left, no problem.  Then they had a problem with their manufacturer in Mexico (isn't anything made here anymore?), but were getting a new shipment in and I'd get one before I left, no problem, they'd call me mid-week to confirm.  When I called them  - Friday - they had continuing problems with the Mexico plant, did I want a clear one instead?   It would be on the bike while on the highway blocking bugs then coming off, so it doesn't matter.  It did arrive the day before the trip, but lasted about two miles before I went back to leave it in the garage.  I don't know why I can't find a shield that doesn't create eyeball shaking vibrations.  Anyway, into the wind to Sioux Falls the first evening. 

This bike is dead stable on the highway.  I spent a fair part of the trip leaned over with hands draped over the bars near the headlight and it tracked fine through the wind of passing trucks.  The footrests on the mustache bar are a little close together, so you have to wrap your legs around the tank and air cleaner, but are actually useful.  A second set (long adjustable HD mounts and the rear foot pegs after changing those to floor boards) helps a lot, too.  Mileage at a steady 75 mph was in the mid-forties per gallon.  Cruise control on a bike is wonderful!  My Fatboy was okay, but much more tiring on the highway; with the backrest and being able to assume more positions this one is fairly comfortable for a six or seven hundred mile day.

It also handles twisties better than the Softail, which isn't bad to begin with.  High speed sweepers marked for 50 mph are easy at 75-80, and tight stuff marked for 25 is good at 40-45.  I only touched pavement twice, both times going faster than prudent, especially the one where I scraped for a good hundred feet.  The gravel/edge of road/drop-off/ditch/rock face alternative seemed worse at the time, however.  This is a good-handling 800 pound bike!

It produces quite a bit of heat if you are sitting idle in hot weather, but the oil temp never went over about 235.  There is also more driveline "snatch" when plonking through town below 2000 rpm than it should have; it bucks and stutters.  I understand HD has a rear hub damper to address this (something Jap bikes had twenty-five years ago), but it may be the EPA tuning also.  Can't complain about mileage, however.  In the hills and canyon charging it got between 48 and 53 mpg the whole time.  Someone mentioned not being able to go over 110 mph with their bike.  It was the same with mine, 110 in sixth.  That's only about 4000 rpm, so I wonder if fifth would do any better?

Saw the '08 models at the Expo.  The ABS would be nice, and the SERK dash piece looks better than the '07, but otherwise I like mine better.  I hope they get the saddle bag seams looking better during production; they overlap leaving bumps that are going to wear quickly to white spots.

Overall the bike performed great, no problems, good handling, good mileage, as comfortable as my knees are going to get on a bike, and looks good doing it.  I saw maybe six or seven other '07's there, three in black which everybody knows is their best color.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

SDSERK

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE "Black Ice"
Re: SERK vs. The Black Hills
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »

One of those may have been mine...we were in Hill City yesterday on our way to run Needles Highway :2vrolijk_21:

Alaska Rider

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »

Excellent review of your trip.  I was there also this year.  I rode from Alaska to the rally and back.  The total mileage was around 7,000 miles.  The bike handled great on the whole trip.  Can't explain why you were not able to get it over 110.  I had it pegged at 125 quite a few times and it was smooth, no vibrations.  I had to replace the rear tire already when it wass at 8,000 miles but I account that to the speeds I put it through. 

I also loved the cruise control, it was a life save on the long trip.  After I got back I had to change the pipes.  I just bought a set of Rinehart 2-1's for sound a bit more horsepower.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 03:36:57 AM »

That is what I am talking about!!! GREAT report/commentary.  Thanx for sharing.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 05:33:58 AM »

Nice feedback on the SERK Gecko.

I am up to a couple of thousand miles now and am loving the way the bike rides and handles. I have the 19.5" Clearview screen and I also get some eyeball shaking, though not so bad that I can't put up with it. I haven't pushed the bike to it's top speed yet, but It does go straight through the gears to around 110. I find that the bike does not really like to be in sixth below 65 and I often don't change until I'm over 70. If I'm going slower than this then I find the bike tends to labour and doesn't run smoothly. Through the gears on a regular basis is definitely the way to ride these babies.

No massive changes for me, but I do have V & H True Duals, V & H Slip On Ovals, Powercommander III USB and Doherty Powerpacc with Powervents and Mystfree.

We have a big trip coming up this week so I'll post a shake down when I return.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.