Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RIDING IN DENVER  (Read 1498 times)

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
RIDING IN DENVER
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »

Well looks like riding though or in Denver is out for me with my load pipes. Bagger Mag. has a report in it saying the city jerks have put a ban on other than stock pipes on motorcycles. The 500.00 fine makes me driving all the way around that hell hole. If your from Denver sorry. All the riders are really pi--- off at the city counsel, don't you think.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 05:40:48 PM by theslash »
SLASH

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: RIDING IN DENVER
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »

Yes, I have known about this for a couple of months.  I live in Oklahoma, so Denver is not too far away.  I will definitely ride around Denver and spend my $money$ elsewhere.

I feel sorry for all the merchants there (motels, restaurants, even motorcycle shops) since they will be loosing all the biker tourist $money$.  If I owned a business there that had any connection to bikers, I would be raising cane or moving out of the Denver city limits.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:44:39 PM »

What a business opportunity for someone.  Why not "Denver Slip-Ons."  I would a temporary device that slides over your pipe(s) when you ride through Denver.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »

What a business opportunity for someone.  Why not "Denver Slip-Ons."  I would a temporary device that slides over your pipe(s) when you ride through Denver.
PHAZE,

When I read the story, I gathered that what they would be looking for is the stamped information from the actual muffler body (part number and the 80 db noise standard spec).  So I believe you have an excellent idea.  Make up a heat shield with the appropriate numbers stamped into the metal, attach it with a couple hose clamps, and ta-da, a legal exhaust.  I doubt the average cop would know the difference.

BTW - if you decide to go into business with this I suggest you hurry.  No way I can see this surviving a court challenge.  Singling out bikes instead of all motor vehicles will be found to be illegal.  And I don't think the clowns in Denver want to tackle the folks from Midas, Mieneke, etc. if they decide to include all motor vehicles.  This whole thing looks like another poorly conceived law designed only to get it's sponsors some political mileage.  It's a real shame we don't have minimum requirements for intelligence and common sense for political office.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:54:39 PM »

This whole thing looks like another poorly conceived law designed only to get it's sponsors some political mileage.  It's a real shame we don't have minimum requirements for intelligence and common sense for political office.

Jerry

Exactly.  Instead of enforcing the current sound level laws (which were in place) they decide to single out one group of motorists.  They know if they did this to semi's, cars, buses and even city vehicles the lawsuits would pile up.

The same reaction to most problems, instead of making the offenders accountable they throw a blanket on the entire biking community.

I can't drive through Denver in my truck either if my best buddy Charlie is riding with me.  If I am not mistaken Pitbulls are banned also.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:05:32 PM »

I think I read something about this in a magazine.  It might have been the AMA publication.  I don't know how they could single out bikes.  What about the guy rattling your windows when he drives by with his rap blasting?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »

The first case to go to court on this was thrown out by the judge because the officer didn't have any equipment to check the db levels of the bike. I guess it's a $500 ticket.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »

I think I read something about this in a magazine.  It might have been the AMA publication.  I don't know how they could single out bikes.  What about the guy rattling your windows when he drives by with his rap blasting?

There's my question.  Our problem here in EUgene is the loud-azz boom-box cars.  And I have actually seen them sitting at a light, right next to a cop, just rattling everything within a 2 block radius, and the cop does nothing.  I need to figure out how to do the old citizens arrest thing...  Thy pick on bikes unmercifully, and yet they let the loud stereos and diesel monster trucks just fly on by like they don't even notice it!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:44:41 PM »

The first case to go to court on this was thrown out by the judge because the officer didn't have any equipment to check the db levels of the bike. I guess it's a $500 ticket.

Therein lies the reason for the wording of this law.  To have a sound level reading stand up in court, they would have to come up with a certifiable way to calibrate the equipment.  Then the test has to be run under tightly controlled conditions, such as 50 feet from the bike with the microphone located 90° from the direction of travel at a height of 5 feet and the bike running at 2500 rpm and 1/3 throttle.  It is much easier to just specify that the stock mufflers with the EPA 80 db imprint must be used.  Of course, I remember a set of shorty duals on my Dyna that had the 80 db stamped on them.  It probably was true before the baffles got drilled out, more like 100 after.  But they would have complied with this law.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »

"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »

I've got SE Pro Performance slip ons on my bike.  Since "Screamin Eagle" is stamped on the side of the pipes I wonder if the Denver police would be savy enough to know it's not original equipment.  My bike says 'Screamin Eagle" in several other places.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 08:50:16 AM »

I think the way it works, is if your bike is registered in Denver you have to have a stamp somewhere on the mufflers and one on the bike that match. They do a sound check before giving you the stamp, and even with the stamp, your subject to getting pulled over if they think you tampered with the pipes and they sound too loud. Bottom line is if they think your bike is loud they can pull you over, but I don't think they have many devices to check the db readings yet, so if they give you a ticket and didn't have anyway to test the noise, you can get it thrown out, but if you just pay it, it stands, and your out $400-$500!!!

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.