Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traxxion Dynamics to No. Virginia - 5 days - Need Suggestions  (Read 1261 times)

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue

I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and I need some advice and suggestions.  With a lot of you just coming back from MV I thought this would be the perfect time to ask.

My wife and I are heading down to Panama City, Fl in a couple of weeks so she can do Ironman Florida on Saturday Nov. 3rd.  I am trailering the bike down so that I can get out on the race course and see more of the race (and so that we can stop at Traxxion Dynamics on the way back  ;)  ).  We are leaving FL to head back on Monday 11/5 and heading to Auburn, Al to visit my daughter at Auburn.  The plan from there is Traxxion on Tuesday and then spend the rest of the week working our way back, hoping to stay at and ride in some really cool places.

I have not spent anytime in this area except at 80+ mph on i-81 heading north or south.  It should be the perfect time of the year to spend some leisurly days and nights in the mountains. 

If anyone has any suggestions of places to stay, things not to miss or things to avoid I would really appreciate your help.  Any ideas on some cool places in and around Panama City, Fl would be great too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Traxxion Dynamics to No. Virginia - 5 days - Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 04:45:13 PM »

I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and I need some advice and suggestions.  With a lot of you just coming back from MV I thought this would be the perfect time to ask.

My wife and I are heading down to Panama City, Fl in a couple of weeks so she can do Ironman Florida on Saturday Nov. 3rd.  I am trailering the bike down so that I can get out on the race course and see more of the race (and so that we can stop at Traxxion Dynamics on the way back  ;)  ).  We are leaving FL to head back on Monday 11/5 and heading to Auburn, Al to visit my daughter at Auburn.  The plan from there is Traxxion on Tuesday and then spend the rest of the week working our way back, hoping to stay at and ride in some really cool places.

I have not spent anytime in this area except at 80+ mph on i-81 heading north or south.  It should be the perfect time of the year to spend some leisurly days and nights in the mountains. 

If anyone has any suggestions of places to stay, things not to miss or things to avoid I would really appreciate your help.  Any ideas on some cool places in and around Panama City, Fl would be great too.

Doug

Sorry...did not see this post.

In PC, go to Shuckey's for oysters.  If you want to take a side trip, go over to Perdido Key/Gulf Shores, AL and visit The FloraBama Roadhouse...truly, one of the last great roadhouses in the country.  Best attended on a weekend night to get a full taste of the flavor of the place.  Another great place to eat is The Original Point  on INTERARITY POINT, FL, near Perdido Key.  Grayton Beach is beautiful.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, Snowbird Mountain Inn, near Robbinsville, NC is a beautiful place to stay...all inclusive, but it's not cheap.  Less expensive alternatives are Townsend, TN, or Maggie Valley.  Gatlinburg, TN is nice, but touristy.  A personal favorite of mine is Blowing Rock, NC.  Mt Pisgah Inn on the BRP, Peak of Otter in Southern VA are also great and right on the Blue Ridge Parkway, with some great side roads.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:40:17 PM »

TC,

Thanks for the info.  In PC right now.  I will look at the map and try to check out some of your suggestions.

Thanks again,

Doug
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »

Sorry...did not see this post.

In PC, go to Shuckey's for oysters.  If you want to take a side trip, go over to Perdido Key/Gulf Shores, AL and visit The FloraBama Roadhouse...truly, one of the last great roadhouses in the country.  Best attended on a weekend night to get a full taste of the flavor of the place.  Another great place to eat is The Original Point  on INTERARITY POINT, FL, near Perdido Key.  Grayton Beach is beautiful.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, Snowbird Mountain Inn, near Robbinsville, NC is a beautiful place to stay...all inclusive, but it's not cheap.  Less expensive alternatives are Townsend, TN, or Maggie Valley.  Gatlinburg, TN is nice, but touristy.  A personal favorite of mine is Blowing Rock, NC.  Mt Pisgah Inn on the BRP, Peak of Otter in Southern VA are also great and right on the Blue Ridge Parkway, with some great side roads.

You're right Terry.  Pisgah Inn is a great place!  You won't find a motel with a better view or better resturant!  Plus some great roads in that area.  This time of the year you may be able to get reservations there for week nights, but, not weekends.

Plan on two nights so you will have one full day to ride the local roads.  Here's a good local ride from Pisgah:

South on Blue Ridge Parkway
Left on 276
right on 64
Right on 215 (just past Rosman, NC)
Cross BRP
Right on 276
Left on Blue Ridge Parkway

This can be a half day or full day ride depending on how many sights you take in.

Also,  the BRP all the way home to Virgina would be a great ride if you have the time.  Terry also mentioned the Peak of Otter Inn.  It's also another great overnight stop!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »

Doug

As for Panama City area, head west on US 98 and hang a left on county road 30A.  Stay on it until you get to Seaside, FL http://www.seasidefl.com.  Bud and Allie's is a great little bar overlooking the gulf.
When on US 129, Two Wheel Inn http://www.twowheelinn.com in Robbinsville is a great place to stay.  They have a garage for your bikes next to your room.  If you overnight there, Sweetwater BBQ is an awesome eatery..................and if remodeling is complete, Phillips Restaurant is great too......but they've been closed for over a year now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:51:41 PM by REGGAB »

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 26 queries.