Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Antilock brake kits?  (Read 1938 times)

Goin Mobile

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Antilock brake kits?
« on: September 07, 2007, 02:20:10 AM »

The 08 antilock brakes seem like a great asset in an emergency stop. Knowing that the rear tire won't lock up is huge. Does anyone know if there are any antilock brake kits for the 07's? It might cost a bunch, but that would likely be less expensive than selling and trying to find an 08.
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'  - Who

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Antilock brake kits?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:04:47 AM »

The 08 antilock brakes seem like a great asset in an emergency stop. Knowing that the rear tire won't lock up is huge. Does anyone know if there are any antilock brake kits for the 07's? It might cost a bunch, but that would likely be less expensive than selling and trying to find an 08.

That was discussed pretty thoroughly prior to and immediately after the release of the 08s.  Many differences in the bikes starting from wheel shims at each end to a wholly difference ECM in the middle that are all part of the system.  Retrofits weren't really designed to be an option for the new ABS Harley released.  Nor did it seem do-able in any realistic or practical way.

dwgibson

• NANR

• CVO1: FLHTSE2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:13:36 AM »

I realize this is not a true ABS system but found this information:

TCB Brake Systems

http://www.cycleshopusa.com/traction-control.html

I know nothing about this system.  Maybe this is better than the standard braking system........dunno!

Gibby
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:56:17 AM »

I realize this is not a true ABS system but found this information:

TCB Brake Systems

http://www.cycleshopusa.com/traction-control.html

I know nothing about this system.  Maybe this is better than the standard braking system........dunno!

Gibby

We've discussed that device before...I don't want nothin' in my brake system that is not sensing wheel rotation to override input from the rider.   :nervous: :nervous:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »

That was discussed pretty thoroughly prior to and immediately after the release of the 08s.  Many differences in the bikes starting from wheel shims at each end to a wholly difference ECM in the middle that are all part of the system.  Retrofits weren't really designed to be an option for the new ABS Harley released.  Nor did it seem do-able in any realistic or practical way.

I'm not sure, but haven't the Police bikes had ABS?  If so, they might be a better option if one really wanted to do a conversion.  At least the wiring of the same year would be more compatable and the ECM would be the same year, but maybe not the same ECM.

Just a thought.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:10:57 PM »

I'm not sure, but haven't the Police bikes had ABS?  If so, they might be a better option if one really wanted to do a conversion.  At least the wiring of the same year would be more compatable and the ECM would be the same year, but maybe not the same ECM.

Just a thought.

Yes they do.  And yes you could transplant that system.  The problem is you wouldn't want to.  It was plagued by more than its share of problems.  But even more than that it was huge.  Everything that is tucked inside the right side cover on the new system occupied half a saddlebag on the police system.  Effectively made the bag otherwise unusable and not easily detachable.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.