Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: so do I buy an 07??  (Read 1539 times)

smorgan

so do I buy an 07??
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

So should I buy an 07 SERK with the updates done or am I asking for trouble? (23k for a red 07) I like the 07 SERK as its the best(in my mind) replacement for my Fatboy or should I customize say a 05 ish RK custom? Performance really isnt high on my list as I have a low 10 second big block 71 Camaro & a Caddy CTS-V so I really just cruze the bike. WHat I do like is the fat tire, styling & acc on the SERk. I know it would cost a bundle to bring a stocker up to a SERK but I can get a nice 05 in the 12k range, 3k to put a 180 tire on it (I did my 200 on my fatboy myself) plus a few other addons.. Just afraid the 110 motor will let me down in the middle of July 1 week b4 a roadtrip.....
In serch of a CVO.. I think

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
Re: so do I buy an 07??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »

If possible, get the VIN and go to the Dealership and check to see if the mods were done to the heads.  Also does it still have any waranty left?  The 07 was a great scoot.  The 08 SERK I really like alot too.  If it trips your trigger then what are you waiting for????????
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 01:23:46 AM »

Have owned an '07 SERK for almost two years.  Zero issues before the "enhancement" campaign.  Had the 0906 kit installed a few weeks ago and still no issues.  Go for it.  An awesome bike.  The red is a sweet color.  I like the styling of the '07 best... the racy front fender, the air cleaner, etc.  It is a bike with function to match the form.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 07:05:10 AM »

I have an '07 SERK, and it replaced a Fat Boy (still have it and it's a good thing as it has been more reliable).  If I had to do it over again with the benefit of hindsight I would have gotten a Road King and added what I like about the SERK.  It's your money, but fundamental engine problems don't just go away with time.  The MOCO (FTMOCO!) did the least they could to get past the warranty period knowing that this particular engine isn't long for this world.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

smorgan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »

Here is a dumb question.. I know there isnt much of a choice for big aftermarket motors but would a 96 fit in it?
In serch of a CVO.. I think

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:22:35 AM »

Wouldn't think twice about it! You can't build a SERK3 from a regular RK. Way too many changes to make. The SERK3 is a GREAT bike with a crappy stock 110 motor. Best RK ever made! No biggie, for 23 grand, you can throw a Jim's 120 in for another 7 if you had to, and still spend no more than a new one was then. And you's have a much better bike than a new one. So there are no concerns there at all! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »

Wouldn't think twice about it! You can't build a SERK3 from a regular RK. Way too many changes to make. The SERK3 is a GREAT bike with a crappy stock 110 motor. Best RK ever made! No biggie, for 23 grand, you can throw a Jim's 120 in for another 7 if you had to, and still spend no more than a new one was then. And you's have a much better bike than a new one. So there are no concerns there at all! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Ditto.. The 110 CVO motor is a POS! at 6K mine had to have jugs and headgaskets,,, at 12K a complete new motor.... at 16k a new cam plate and oil pump... 25 miles on the dealer test drive the .007" of pinion shaft runout ruined another oil pump...so now another complete motor! Harley could not give me a FREE CVO 110 that I would keep! I am selling it and don't know what I will buy in the future.

While we are on the subject: ALL!!!! late model HD pressed on flywheels are JUNK! If you want longjevity you are going to have to get the flywheels welded and Timken bearings installed.

Just say no!!!! dont waste your money, build your own,,, Harley knows how they just won't do it!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »

Try to get the extended warranty. I would have no regrets. THE MUFFMAN

daleg3556

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »

I bought an 07 SERK in July with 1700 miles.  Have ridden to Deals Gap and Daytona and all over around home and now have around 5000 miles.  Has not had the recall done.  Will probably have done over the winter.  I did buy a 3 year extended warranty.  Bike has been great, no issues!  Go for it.  Dale

2007 SERK
2008 FXDC 105th S/N 0001/2000
2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
IBA #47074

I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect...Doug Sanders

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »

So should I buy an 07 SERK with the updates done or am I asking for trouble? (23k for a red 07) I like the 07 SERK as its the best(in my mind) replacement for my Fatboy or should I customize say a 05 ish RK custom? Performance really isnt high on my list as I have a low 10 second big block 71 Camaro & a Caddy CTS-V so I really just cruze the bike. WHat I do like is the fat tire, styling & acc on the SERk. I know it would cost a bundle to bring a stocker up to a SERK but I can get a nice 05 in the 12k range, 3k to put a 180 tire on it (I did my 200 on my fatboy myself) plus a few other addons.. Just afraid the 110 motor will let me down in the middle of July 1 week b4 a roadtrip.....

Do not willingly buy any 110 motor period unless you like stress, have other bikes to ride, or don't intend on riding much, or want to hang it on the wall over your bar.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.