Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Autumn Group Ride to Guffey, Colorado  (Read 2710 times)

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
Autumn Group Ride to Guffey, Colorado
« on: September 23, 2007, 01:58:55 AM »

Several of us gathered to ride Pikes Peak country, check out the status of the color transition from summer to autumn, and check out the semi-ghost town of Guffey.

First pause is on the Hwy 67 ascent to Cripple Creek...

Looking back from what we just rode through...

And on the hillside above the bikes...

The next pullover is a look at the backside of Pikes Peak.  Well, OK, first a pic of the bike hogging the view...

Now focusing on a not frequently seen side of Pikes Peak, the south side.  Can note the zig zag of the Pikes Peak dirt "highway" at the top.  Here, peak colors are still a week or two away...

We make it to Guffey and park the bikes... 

Guffey is an eclectic place with a fraction of the population it once boasted of.  There's maybe 2-3 dozen remaining structures and most are of the original log or wood frame construction from over 100 years ago...

Check out some of the autos parked around...

Hey, how about this.  A Harley-Davidson/AMF golf cart.  Well, at least this is what was told me.  The nameplate appeared authentic...

One reason for Guffey as a destination, we had heard about someone erecting horse skeletons pulling a carriage.  Well, here you go, and there's fur still on them bones!...

And lunch outside next to the horses with a lot of meat on the bones.  A great autumn ride...

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
Re: Autumn Group Ride to Guffey, Colorado
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »

Another great ride report!  Thanks for sharing.  .....and about that comment of the bike hogging the view... without the bike, it's a great view, with the bike, it's a great story!  The great bike placement in the photo, as always, stirs a lot of emotion about the journey.  You're very talented at capturing those shots!  I always look forward to seeing your ride reports and pictures.  You are blessed to be in an area that lends itself to exploitation of the senses!  Keep these great reports coming.  It is really great to see images from different regions of the country.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:03:16 PM »

Nice shots, Steve!! 

I take it the trees that are presently turning are Aspens?  A lot of people don't know that Aspen trees, as seen in your photos, are actually one large organism, so all the ones which are part of the same organism typically change at the same time, while others right next to them may be in a different stage of changing.  A very interesting, but otherwise useless bit of information rattling around in my head... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 12:20:21 PM »

Steve, you da man when it comes to documenting your rides! Thanks again for sharing your fantastic pics! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »

Thanks.  Much!  Colorado helps with the backdrop.  Milwaukee helps with the foreground.  Actually, there's beauty in every place, right?

Terry... Yes, aspen trees indeed, and they do share a common route system, and thus can be an enormous single plant!  Have heard it said they are the world's largest living organism.  Then again, I saw a National Geographic show the other night and the same was said about coral reefs!

Aspen need moisture and don't grow as well when surrounding by competing pines, thus, they thrive best when on their own, in their own grove.  They often come in where a forest fire has been through.  See a large Aspen grove and you're probably seeing where a wildfire had a presence years ago.  If indeed Aspen are the largest organism, one can see the world's largest Aspen grove on Kebler Pass, west of Crested Butte.  It is a dirt road pass but rideable on a street bike.  It is immense, stretching for miles.  My guess is right about now it is on fire with color.

BTW Terry, Guffey is in southern Park County, the county I was noting as a place with big land, big views, and not exorbitant real estate prices.

charlie

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »

Great pictures and views

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 04:38:02 PM »

Steve, I've been using one of the photos from you last ride report as my screen saver. I just replaced it with your new pic of your bike behind Pikes Peak. People have come into my office and seen the pic and asked if I had gotten a new bike, I just tell them, no but I liked the picture. Keep up the good work and thanks.

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

Another fine job of fun.  :2vrolijk_21:  ;D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »

Steve, I've been using one of the photos from you last ride report as my screen saver. I just replaced it with your new pic of your bike behind Pikes Peak. People have come into my office and seen the pic and asked if I had gotten a new bike, I just tell them, no but I liked the picture. Keep up the good work and thanks.

Hobo

Thanks Hobo... Let me know if you ever want a hires version.  Good riding to you and everyone.

Steve

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:01:35 PM »

Great report who was the photographer?Sharp!!! :drink:
Ridin Legend

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 09:16:53 PM »

You nailed it again Steve. Thanks.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 26 queries.