Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RPM RELATED VIBRATION  (Read 3524 times)

EGNRED 05

• FLHRSEI.ORG
RPM RELATED VIBRATION
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »

Suddenly I have a vibration which I feel up through my seat and through the floorboards in all five gears at 2900 rpms. No vibration before or after 2900 rpms. I took it to the dealer thinking I may have a broken or worn out motormount and I did but fixing that did not solve the problem.  They still have my bike.  Other than a SE race tuner, Basani true duals w/[power curve and SE air cleaner, this bike is stock.  Any ideas?

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
Re: RPM RELATED VIBRATION
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »

EG, My bike started doing the same thing. MOCO says its the V&H pipes. The pipes were installed before I took delivery of the bike. Vibration started when I reached 4500 miles told the dealer that was a bunch of bull. Bike still in shop. They are going to call their MOCO rep tomorrow. Have you found what was causing the vibration? Been searching the net trying to get some info.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:17:33 AM »

check your front motor mount, with oil spilled on them during an oil change/filter replacement, they get soft and split with vibration.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

vtrod

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 04:20:14 PM »

More times than not, an RPM vibration comes from the exhaust system. Check to make sure that all the heat shield
clamps are tight, make sure that the pipes do not touch the frame anywhere, and then tighten the clamps and hardware on the whole system. A good place to start.

HUEY

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »

never had the problem on my SEEG but I did go through a similar phantom episode on my 03 Heritage..previous posts are correct in that it turned out to be the pipes/heat shield coming in contact causing the vibration

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »

Don't discount the possibility of a compensator starting to loosen up.  That was a too common problem with the 04s and 05s.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »

More times than not, an RPM vibration comes from the exhaust system. Check to make sure that all the heat shield
clamps are tight, make sure that the pipes do not touch the frame anywhere, and then tighten the clamps and hardware on the whole system. A good place to start.

THis is VERY true.  Check to make sure your muffler clamps are tight.  THey are notorious for coming loose.  They'll vibrate the heck out of things and you'll swear the motor is about to vibrate out of the frame. 

Cheers, Sooiee.
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »

The odds are pretty good that it's either exhaust related or the front or top motormount........and yes, they can be broken even with low miles on the bike.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

El Kapitan

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »

EG, My bike started doing the same thing. MOCO says its the V&H pipes. The pipes were installed before I took delivery of the bike. Vibration started when I reached 4500 miles told the dealer that was a bunch of bull. Bike still in shop. They are going to call their MOCO rep tomorrow. Have you found what was causing the vibration? Been searching the net trying to get some info.

My FLHRSE3 started vibrating at 3000 miles, motormounts and exhaust seem to be OK. What was causing the vibration in yours?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:02:29 AM »

I noticed more vibration on my SERK3 when I switched to V&H duals, especially the floor boards.  I wonder if there is a flexible mount less flexible than stock?  I don't find any evidence of the pipes or shields contacting anything.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »

At idle does you brake pedal vibrate like crazy?  When the engine is torquing, the pedal may be now hitting the front pipe.

The other option is the crank runout issue which is referenced in TT-324.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:29:03 AM »

When the engine is torquing, the pedal may be now hitting the front pipe.

Since you haven't had the motor opened up we can rule out unbalanced pistons!

Must be hitting the pipe at speed!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fruitcake

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: My wifes bike 2004 FLSTC
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »

Suddenly I have a vibration which I feel up through my seat and through the floorboards in all five gears at 2900 rpms. No vibration before or after 2900 rpms. I took it to the dealer thinking I may have a broken or worn out motormount and I did but fixing that did not solve the problem.  They still have my bike.  Other than a SE race tuner, Basani true duals w/[power curve and SE air cleaner, this bike is stock.  Any ideas?

What year is your Bike? I have a 2007 CVO RKC thats has a vibration at 2,500 RPM plus and I'm putting in the IDS this Friday.

I will let you if is any better!

Bob
We love Riding the hills of the North East Kingdom of VT, Northern NH and Western ME.

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 06:38:35 PM »

If you have installed footpegs on the engine guard run you're bike up to where it vibrates and put you're feet on the pegs and see if it goes away or take the pegs off and try it.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.