Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Justice against the Westboro Baptist  (Read 1257 times)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
Justice against the Westboro Baptist
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:35:54 PM »

A grieving father won a $2.9 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Albert Snyder of York, Pa., sued the Westboro Baptist Church for unspecified damages after members staged a demonstration at the March 2006 funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, who was killed in Iraq.

Church members routinely picket funerals of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying signs such as "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates s."

A number of states have passed laws regarding funeral protests, and Congress has passed a law prohibiting such protests at federal cemeteries. But the Maryland lawsuit is believed to be the first filed by the family of a fallen serviceman

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
Re: Justice against the Westboro Baptist
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »

UPDATE: The jury has awarded an additional $8 million in punitive damages — $6 million for invasion of privacy and $2 million for causing emotional distress

10.9 total!!!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN3134225120071031
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:04:29 PM by hjdistl »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »

Of course this is terrible thing for any family to endure. Hopefully this will send a message and bankrupt this contemptible cult. I fear though that the families suffering won't be ended by this verdict.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 08:49:03 PM »

I hope they keep getting judgments until they disappear. They are the main reason the Patriot Guards exist.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:21:37 PM »

Anyone want to bet that the ACLU won't be involved in the appeal ?  Sad day for The Consitution of The United States of America.  Freedom of Speach takes a beating because a bunch of religious idiots think the Constitution protects them from having to answer for their idiocy, insensitivity and malevolence. I am glad for the family that won the verdict and happier still for all those families this verdict will protect from having to suffer as this one did. But I am sad indeed that another of the building blocks of the foundation of our great nation has been caught in the crossfire. It would seem that we have truly reached the point where it has become necessary to litigate civility and the rights of a grieving family to privacy, respect and dignity. As I sit and type this, I ask myself are the actions of this " church " not treason when they threaten the civil liberties of each of us ? Perhaps I am truly ignorant of the laws of our land, perhaps I am just pontificating, but I'd love to see a US Attorney indict these scum for treason.

B B

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »

Anyone want to bet that the ACLU won't be involved in the appeal ?  Sad day for The Constitution of The United States of America.  Freedom of Speech takes a beating because a bunch of religious idiots think the Constitution protects them from having to answer for their idiocy, insensitivity and malevolence. I am glad for the family that won the verdict and happier still for all those families this verdict will protect from having to suffer as this one did. But I am sad indeed that another of the building blocks of the foundation of our great nation has been caught in the crossfire. It would seem that we have truly reached the point where it has become necessary to litigate civility and the rights of a grieving family to privacy, respect and dignity. As I sit and type this, I ask myself are the actions of this " church " not treason when they threaten the civil liberties of each of us ? Perhaps I am truly ignorant of the laws of our land, perhaps I am just pontificating, but I'd love to see a US Attorney indict these scum for treason.

B B

Well said.

What really torques me is they want their rights but deny the people who help give and protect their rights all of the grief and crap they can.

As General Hal Moore told Dan Rather   "You can hate the war all you want but you better love and respect the warrior.  You understand me mister?"  Dan Rather wanted to crawl under the carpet.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »

I hope they keep getting judgments until they disappear. They are the main reason the Patriot Guards exist.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

RIGHT ON DUDE!!!!! That make us PGR's feel great!!! Headed to Archer City Texas for an Honor Mission Tomorrow...Makes me feel lke we are making a difference... Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.