Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone have the Sundowner seat on their SERK?  (Read 1869 times)

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
Anyone have the Sundowner seat on their SERK?
« on: November 17, 2007, 02:06:44 AM »

I get pretty uncomfortable on my 08 SERK. The std seat is thin and tends to roll my butt forward, putting a curve in my back. Also, that rock hard seat is a weapon of ass destruction when you hit a few washboards. Last Monday, I was in agony after my Sunday ride. I don't think the little SE rider backrest helps, either.

I was thinking of fitting the Sundowner seat (yeah, I know - fugly on a SERK) with a larger rider backrest. Has anyone tried this on a SERK? Was it a success, and were the ergos more comfortable?
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Anyone have the Sundowner seat on their SERK?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »

"Ozzie" has a Mustang on his SERK and likes it.

And I have a "puffy" HD Comfort Stitch on my SEEG, and hate the way it looks without the tourpak (AKA RK style)
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »

I get pretty uncomfortable on my 08 SERK. The std seat is thin and tends to roll my butt forward, putting a curve in my back. Also, that rock hard seat is a weapon of ass destruction when you hit a few washboards. Last Monday, I was in agony after my Sunday ride. I don't think the little SE rider backrest helps, either.

I was thinking of fitting the Sundowner seat (yeah, I know - fugly on a SERK) with a larger rider backrest. Has anyone tried this on a SERK? Was it a success, and were the ergos more comfortable?

I had one on my '07SERK for a short time. It's better than the stock seat. But I opted for a Corbin Dual Touring Saddle. My almost brand new Standard RK Sundowner's now for sale cheap, if any needs it.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 05:29:18 PM »

I wanted to get the Corbin heated Dual Tour for my 08 SERK, but Corbin won't even take orders for it yet.  They have had some fitment problems with the 08's and they will be making one to match our 08 saddle bags.  It will be a while.  In the meantime,,,,I got the Sundowner for the '08, (btw, the 07 seat will not fit on the 08's as the tab is on the tank on the 08's).  It is one ugly beast, but 10 times more comfortable than the stock seat.  Martha likes the comfort in the back too, but doesn't like the added height.  Compromises, but probably the most comfortable seat that Harley makes.  For, me, there is a bit of added height (you no longer sit on the frame), but realistically, only about 1/2 an inch or so.  It is comfortable on long ride days.  I have the Mustang seat on my Heritage which is also very comfortable and very good looking, but gets pretty hot on summer days as it only comes in vinyl and just doesn't breathe like the leather seats do.  Just my 2 cents worth!

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:18:09 PM »

I wanted to get the Corbin heated Dual Tour for my 08 SERK, but Corbin won't even take orders for it yet.  They have had some fitment problems with the 08's and they will be making one to match our 08 saddle bags.  It will be a while.  In the meantime,,,,I got the Sundowner for the '08, (btw, the 07 seat will not fit on the 08's as the tab is on the tank on the 08's).  It is one ugly beast, but 10 times more comfortable than the stock seat.  Martha likes the comfort in the back too, but doesn't like the added height.  Compromises, but probably the most comfortable seat that Harley makes.  For, me, there is a bit of added height (you no longer sit on the frame), but realistically, only about 1/2 an inch or so.  It is comfortable on long ride days.  I have the Mustang seat on my Heritage which is also very comfortable and very good looking, but gets pretty hot on summer days as it only comes in vinyl and just doesn't breathe like the leather seats do.  Just my 2 cents worth!

Thanks Lilbear

That's great information. I suspected that the '07 seats didn't fit the 08 SERK, but now you've confirmed it for me. In terms of its looks, that'll be a shame to disrupt the smooth lines of the current seat. And being patterned leather, it's fairly stylish. But I am now getting a spinal X-ray and physical therapy, as the combination of hard seat, seat shape and stiff rear suspension is causing havoc on my back. I'm not quite ready to trade the SERK in for an Ultra, so I think it will be worthwhile trying the Sundowner seat.

Can you tell me whether your existing rider backrest will fit with the Sundowner, or will I need to purchase a new one? Thanks again...  :2vrolijk_21:
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 02:25:55 PM »

my understanding is that the backrests are interchangeable on HD touring seats as long as the slot is there.  You can look in the P&A catalog or web site to verify.  However, it's been the experience of many on this forum that MoCo claims something won't work with something and it does.......  Always best to check.  I'd think a used backrest will sell pretty quickly.  I'd take Hoist up on his offer and give the seat a try.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »

my understanding is that the backrests are interchangeable on HD touring seats as long as the slot is there.  You can look in the P&A catalog or web site to verify.  However, it's been the experience of many on this forum that MoCo claims something won't work with something and it does.......  Always best to check.  I'd think a used backrest will sell pretty quickly.  I'd take Hoist up on his offer and give the seat a try.

It's only good for '97-'07 jg. Thanks for mentioning it though! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »

I felt the same on my o7 Serk. Changed to Mustang seat.and Backrest. the back rest is more adjustble than  harley's  you can adjustit while you ride HD   you have to stop. Also  Progressive 440's big improvement and over the winter off to Atlanta for new front end . Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »

Thanks Lilbear

That's great information. I suspected that the '07 seats didn't fit the 08 SERK, but now you've confirmed it for me. In terms of its looks, that'll be a shame to disrupt the smooth lines of the current seat. And being patterned leather, it's fairly stylish. But I am now getting a spinal X-ray and physical therapy, as the combination of hard seat, seat shape and stiff rear suspension is causing havoc on my back. I'm not quite ready to trade the SERK in for an Ultra, so I think it will be worthwhile trying the Sundowner seat.

Can you tell me whether your existing rider backrest will fit with the Sundowner, or will I need to purchase a new one? Thanks again...  :2vrolijk_21:

Existing rider backrest fits fine.  I did buy the medium height (standard ht) passenger backrest sissy bar though and the larger touring backrest pad for the wife.  That tiny little backrest barely stuck up past the sundowner!  It isn't the greatest looking, but for a few bucks, it really is comfortable!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 07:44:11 AM »

I got a Sundowner, but mostly because of the wider passenger portion.  I don't notice that much difference between the two seats, the new one may be slightly more comfortable, and has a little more "bucket" to it if you like to slump down.  The snout is a little wider, so it seems to splay your legs more at a stop.  It takes a minute so switch them, so for solo riding I often go back to the stock one as it is good for 500 miles.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.