Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New Headlight  (Read 4538 times)

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
Re: New Headlight
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 07:29:13 PM »

I also installed the new tour pack led interior light and the led saddle bag lights that replace the rubber bumpers under the tour pack.  Unlike the light that came with the chopped tour pack they have touch switches to turn them on and off and if you forget they go off after five minutes. Attached a pic that's not that great but will give you the an idea of the lighting.

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 07:32:31 PM »

They did improve my nightime lighting but I am not sure how much the new spot lights contributed since I put them all on at once, but definitely an improvement.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 02:03:17 AM »

I also installed the new tour pack led interior light and the led saddle bag lights that replace the rubber bumpers under the tour pack.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 02:06:45 AM »

I have the new headlight and the spot lights with the optics that match the 05 stock headlight and the new two bulb that I added. Attaching a couple of pix, one of lights and another that you may spot new mods since last pix.

The picture of the new headlight is, well; illuminating.  Before seeing it on your bike I really didn't think I was going to like the looks of one installed.  Never been a big fan of the Euro-projector lamp look on most bodies.  But it looks really good on there.  

Gonna have to print your picture and stick on the fairing next to the stock light so can see them both at the same time.  Sure hope I like the original one better  [smiley=confused5.gif]

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 02:26:32 AM »

i took a shot of my set up and cann clearly see that i need those aux lights   [smiley=laugh.gif]
~late~ Cann

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 02:59:46 AM »

i took a shot of my set up and cann clearly see that i need those aux lights

Cannibus_Man

• Full CVO Member
  • I love to set off car alarms
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 03:20:42 AM »

actually it's pincer biscuits    lol i have 4 mini pincers and boy they are little buggers!  hee hee
~late~ Cann

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 04:35:33 AM »

Steve, when those LED lights showed up as new products in the parts system a few weeks ago I took a quick glance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2005, 12:44:36 PM »

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 03:16:03 PM »

Anybody heard of a relay that will allow the front spot lights  to be on weather or not the front main light is high or low beam...I want alll the visibility I can get ..

LeRoy. [smiley=glasses2.gif]

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 03:23:23 PM »

Leroy,

You can wire your spotlights to be on with either high or low beam or both.

Mike

Did you just get the wiring to go direct from the ACC switch to the spot lights and take out the wiring from the high low beam on the spotlight side of the house? Did you do this?
LeRoy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2005, 05:04:02 PM »

Did you just get the wiring to go direct from the ACC switch to the spot lights and take out the wiring from the high low beam on the spotlight side of the house? Did you do this?
LeRoy

If you're going to change the spotlights around a bit might as well go all the way and make them both as functional and as safe as they can be.  Right now their power trigger comes off the headlight.  So if you blow a fuse to the headlights you also have no spotlights.  No backup for the "just in case" kind of dark and stormy night.

Instead take power from a switched accy source to a relay.  If you want to use a new accessory switch on the fairing have that switch trigger the relay that will then feed the lights.  If you still want the lights triggered from the headlights just use a relay that is closed (on) when it's trigger is cold rather than hot.  That way if the headlights blow a fuse the spotlights will still be on.  In fact wired up that way if the headlights blew a fuse the spotlights would automatically come on.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 01:46:45 AM »

Boy I hate wiring...but you make it sound easy

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 02:47:59 AM »

Boy I hate wiring...but you make it sound easy

Tony, wiring can suck; usually because there's just so much of it the spaghetti overwhelms you if you open a harness.  Can be even more daunting if you have to mess with electronics or, God forfend, actually screw with a board.  This little circuit, however, is an easy one.  If you decide to make the change it's not tough at all.

If you do change it there is one thing to keep in mind, however, about whether or not you decide to keep switching the spotlights with the headlights or use an accessory switch to turn them on and off independent of high or low beam.  Some states mandate that auxiliary lighting must turn out when the high beam comes on as part of their safety inspection.  So if your state checks for that facet of light operation you need to keep it triggered off the headlight.

To do that and still have the spot lights come on if you blow a headlight fuse would still be simple.  You'd still use a relay that is closed (on) when it's trigger is dead.  You'd still take power from a switched accy point in to the relay and you'd still go out of the relay to the spotlights.  

The trigger point on the relay in this case though you'd bring from the HIGH beam headlight wire (instead of the low beam wire it currently comes from).  You'd use the high beam feed because it's the one that is dead when the low beam lights are on.  That way if the low beam headlight is on (i.e., high beam wire = dead) the relay is triggered and the spotlights shine.  If the high beam headlight is on the spotlights are off and your state inspection is happy.  But if you blow a fuse and have no headlights then both headlight leads are dead so the spotlights come on automatically without you doing anything.  It wouldn't matter whether the headlight switch on the handlebar is in the high or low position because if you've blown the headlight fuse the high and low legs are both dead.  Spotlights come on automatically and no sudden unexpected total darkness.

You no longer have the theat of darkness if you blow a fuse because the other benefit to doing it this way is that if someting happens in either the headlights or the spotlights to cause a fuse to blow the spotlight and headlight are now on separate circuits.  In the stock configuration they're on the same circuit.  So if you lose one you lose them both (which is actually kind of dumb).

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2005, 10:42:36 AM »

Thanks two lane...very informative...I think I will try it...Cal does require the aux light to go off when high beam is on...I like the idea of having the driving lights work if all else doesn't..my old Heritage was that way. I have to get into the fairing to add new speakers and a hidden antenna...so I'll do it all at once.. [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.