Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired  (Read 21777 times)

Rhino

Re: Hawg-Wired
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2007, 12:33:03 PM »

So, I have the three long harnesses, 2a, 2b and 4 above, and one connector (this one is easy with a cap), but now what?  I tried wrapping them up and putting  under seat by backrest area. Obviously not enough room.
Rhino

UPDATE: Duh, attacked it wrong. Wires run neatly where they were supposed to be, except CB/Intercom/Light harness. That is small, fits right in where heated seat plugs are, no room problem. Finally got it done, tied, etc.  Time to ride new tunes and new look....for the day anyway..
Rhino

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2007, 12:47:37 PM »

UPDATE: Duh, attacked it wrong. Wires run neatly where they were supposed to be, except CB/Intercom/Light harness. That is small, fits right in where heated seat plugs are, no room problem. Finally got it done, tied, etc.  Time to ride new tunes and new look....for the day anyway..
Rhino

Just read the prior post and was thinking, "hmm, attacked it wrong."  Then read this one.  Glad you got it sorted out.

Your description of the amp settings sounds very similar to what I've seen.  My own personal version on the red bike only has the fronts.  But the others I've been through were very much as you're describing.  Sounds like victory and conquest with wrenches and wire.

Rhino

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2007, 09:48:54 PM »

Just read the prior post and was thinking, "hmm, attacked it wrong."  Then read this one.  Glad you got it sorted out.

Your description of the amp settings sounds very similar to what I've seen.  My own personal version on the red bike only has the fronts.  But the others I've been through were very much as you're describing.  Sounds like victory and conquest with wrenches and wire.

Yup, got er dun,  but no ride, raining hard all day so far, but the ramp test did the following:  With tour pack on, definite difference between component fronts and std rear.  Only because no component will fit back there.  Anyway, the rears, they did require less freq, tended to be a little bassy, not as crisp with higher freq, so frankly, it is now at the 12oclock pos. Addressed that ok and works for me.  Is a nice complement to the fronts, which are the driving force anyway. Fronts are set at about 4oclock on freq, and 3oclock on gain.

The front and rear together sounds like a concert hall, full surround sound system simulation, and at first I really did not know there was a great difference from what I had. But this set up is so loud with no distortion, that it seemed minimal on the difference initially.  The fronts alone, without the TP, is awesome too.  It is way more than I could use for undistorted volume, whereas before it was loud noise. Now I hear the nuances. Granted, the result will be different riding, but now this can easily override the exhaust tone, IF I want to, and listen to sparkly clear audio.  Lets see, loud exhaust, ear plugs, and louder stereo to now hear it throught the earplugs.

Testing this morning resulted in a foursome teeing off giving me a thumbs up from 200 ft. away.  I may be using the TP more than I thought, what a contraption just for a set of rears, but for that special other rear, she won't ride without it anyway.

As the instructions, and experience says, easy on the gain from the high level ins. Don't blow it up, it aint like a throttle, set it for finesse.
If there is a downside, it is missing the thump of bass. Again, not probably noticeable to me while riding, but stationary, if a sub was powered and plugged, I could park the bike in my living room and use it as the home stereo. But, I live in Florida, not Missouri, so can't do that.

All in all, taking my time, doing the TP removal, harness removal, amp removal, tank removal and power and tank install, etc, TP and quick detach, HW install, speakers, amps, wires, connectors, fairing removal, dakota ant, bags etc, all on and off, from start to finish for all of it, took me around 11 hours over two days. No helpers, just solo. TP was a beauch, along with a few other miskelaneousses, but it is rewarding to work on the bike without pouring oil all over myself for a change.

In summary re the TP, if I wanted a quick detach system, and did not do a stereo upgrade, just loose the amp, I would elect to do just that.  Until I saw and read the details, I had no idea that the AMP could be removed, and the entire system would just revert back to a classic, while STILL having the front and rear fade and all radio functions.  As I stated before, what a hokey system with that harness thing. Running all the way back to the AMP and then all the way back to the front with a massive bundle, for 8-10 watts. 

For those not interested in a TP conversion, and just want better sound, it is not going to be with just a speaker change.  I initially went from stock, to J & M's, and was not impressed.  I also plugged in a pair of Polk AUdio's too, and was still not impressed.  So if possible, the bottom line is to just stick another AMP in, a real one, one that is rated better than 70W/2 at 10%THD. The HW for comparison, are 75/2  x  2 (F/R) but if measured up at 10%THD like Harley did, they are easily 150W/2, but who wants ear splitting distortion. Wonder if THAT is possible? Well, probably not easy to do, since Harley made it up with 2 ohm spkrs. Oh so special eh? Another one for the MOCO book of wonders.

Rhino(whatdidyousaydearicanthearyoupleasestoppinchingmeandenjoytherockandroll)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »

i just purchased the hw 4 channel system. after reading this thread... would someone please install it for me. :znotworthy:

TN

Sure...
You did mean in my bike didn't you. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2007, 04:30:03 PM »

HAWG WIRED is the "BOMB"

Ordered the 150W 2 channel system from Jim (hd-dude).
Plan was to install on Nancy's bike as a Christmas present.
She went to her mothers today for Thanksgiving.
I started the installation right after she left at 8:00.
Four hours later   "DONE".
I was worried that I would need some help since the installation is way over my head.
Jim told me not to worry.

It sounds great!
Excellent instructions.
Installation a piece of cake!
Everything sounds good in the garage.
Took it out on the highway and set it on cruise at 90.
WOW, plenty of volume and crystal clear.

She will be home later this evening, hope she likes it.
I sure do!

Hawg Wired has become like Traxxion, a must for every bike I own!
Thanks Jim!

:2vrolijk_21:

S
  /
    B
      /
        Blu

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »

Sounds like I'm out a few hundred $$ more because of you guys......

Shheesh, when does it end.  The HW system just made it to the top of my list.   :cherry:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »

I was at the HD store today and they had a Street Glide hooked up with the HW system (two fairing speakers and two in the lowers as well).  I gotta tell you, it sounded great.  If I keep the Jester, they are going on in the Spring.  If not, a definite must in the next bike.

HD Dude,  you listening ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »

I was at the HD store today and they had a Street Glide hooked up with the HW system (two fairing speakers and two in the lowers as well).  I gotta tell you, it sounded great.  If I keep the Jester, they are going on in the Spring.  If not, a definite must in the next bike.

HD Dude,  you listening ;D

Yep, I'm listening, Loud and clear..(since I have the Hawg-wired) ;D

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »

And I have to say,

Buy your HAWG WIRED from hd-dude.
WHY YOU ASK?

1)  I'm not sure who else sells it but he offers the site members a 10% discount.
2)  He has done many of the installs and is a cornucopia (hows that Don?) of install information.
3)  He stands behind what he sells.
4)  He's Jim, that's enough reason for me!

;D

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2007, 06:40:02 PM »

would i benefit from having the fade option programed in on the stock advanced unit? rear control on l/s works but r/s is not functional. made the ultra pak detachable but i have another fl for a bar hopper.... :huepfenlol2:

batting inside the fairing probably doesn't help but it's there. i now need to replace factory grills.

i wish i could justify the weather option on my zumo but a $100 a month.... :nixweiss:....

i'm all jacked up on kona

TN

it's gotta be something.  har!  :huepfenjump3: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 25 queries.