Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Florida Proposes Reckless Motorcycle Law  (Read 658 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Florida Proposes Reckless Motorcycle Law
« on: December 21, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »

I have not had time to research if this is true but interesting none the less. Anyone else got any additional info on this? http://www.bikernewsonline.com/2007/09/florida-proposes-reckless-motorcycle.htm

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Florida Proposes Reckless Motorcycle Law
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 03:47:35 PM »

What a load of crap. Hopefully the Sunshine State M.C. community has it's say.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »

Not sure how or why they would only single out motorcycles! There's a lot of bad drivers in Florida, especially the little old people that shouldn't have been driving for years!
About a year ago there was a study on the city with the most discourteous drivers in the country, everyone was guessing NYC, or LA, but it was Miami!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »

I am aware that there are a lot of "sport bike bikers" who ride their motorcycles crazy but at the same time there are a lot bikers who rides responsible. An also there are a lot of old citizens and people who looks like they got their driver licenses in Walmart.................so this law is discriminatory..........I am sure that ABATE and other MC are going to fight against this bill pass....................

Jorge

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:10:57 PM »

If you look at the two versions (House and Senate), you'll find that the reckless driving description includes riding more than 30 mph over the limit (many states use 20 over), wheelies, etc.  It looks like this is a response to some issues that weren't addressed in the regular laws (not too many wheelies being popped by Grandpa in his Caddy, for instance), and is mostly aimed at the crotch rocket crowd.  Rather than pass a new law singling out motorcycles, you would think an amendment to the regular motor vehicle statute that just adds motorcycle specific definitions of reckless driving would be more appropriate and less liable to precipitate major protests from bike groups.  And I'm not liking that confiscation clause.  Too many places have abused the hell out of those types of clauses over the years, with some police departments winding up with large fleets of "confiscated" vehicles for the cops and politicians to play with.  It's one thing to take dope peddlers cars, but taking a guys bike because he was running 85 in a 55 zone is BS.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.