Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tune Trapper does it work?  (Read 1798 times)

rpierce

• Power and Style
Tune Trapper does it work?
« on: March 17, 2005, 10:03:02 PM »

Been looking at the Tune Trapper antenna on Ebay. Do they work as well as they say? I have a Dakota Digital and it sucks. [smiley=drink.gif]

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Re: Tune Trapper does it work?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 10:36:42 PM »

There was a post way back when about them.  Most of the guys like them better as they are cheaper and mount easy.  I just purchased one but do not have it yet.  I emailed  a few of the guys that had them and asked how they liked them.  They do, and get at least as good as reception as the whip, including weather band.  Look back in this group for earlier postings.  
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:56:29 AM »

I replaced my Dakat Digital with one and it is at least as good and probably better.

/Bil
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:50:47 AM »

Put one on after trying a dakota which worked till you get 20 miles out of town the tune trapper will pull the same signal for about 60 miles.  Like it much better.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 11:09:07 AM »

I agree with mr_magoo the tune trapper worked significantly better on my SEEG than the digital dakota.  I went from getting only in town FM radio reception with the Dakota Digital to FM,AM and weather band on the tune trapper any where I went.  It seems to me the tune trapper was something like $60 cheaper also.  I have a dakota digital I will send anyone that wants it, you just pay for shipping and its yours.  I will probably just toss it otherwise.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:53:51 AM »

h20ski, just wondering if you grounded both antennas the same way? [smiley=confused5.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:31:49 PM »

spyglide,
If you mean grounded, as in electrially grouded the tune trapper is not a powered amplifier antenna.  It literlay just plugs into the back of the radio.  There was a posting earlier that covered the install of the digital dakota and I duplicated that install so I don't think there was a problem with that either.

h2oski  

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 03:06:17 PM »

Yeah, the only reason I mention the 'grounding' was that the local shop here was having a lot of dissatisfied customers that were having antennas installed in the fairing (not sure of the brand/type) until they finally figured out the proper grounding.  Then, waaaa Laaaaaa! everyone's getting good reception and happy riders.  I'll ask more about the particulars when I go down there.  I still run the ole whip on the rear........aka "stock". [smiley=square.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 04:09:08 PM »

Put one on after trying a dakota which worked till you get 20 miles out of town the tune trapper will pull the same signal for about 60 miles.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 12:02:59 PM »

I just installed my tune trapper yesterday(I suggest getting the short antenna lead model for our CVO's) ...Very easy to do...I cable tied the stock antenna to the harness to keep it in there just in case the tunetrapper does not work as advertised then I could hook it back up quickly.
 In my garage I was having a static(y) time pulling in the local Weather band but with the tuntrapper installed all static went away..Thats the only testing I can do right now due to the weather..I will give a road report as soon as I can and it should be a good one with the lack of radio stations and the great distances between cities here in Montana.

Leroy

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 04:07:43 PM »

Report As I promised ,

Rode 165 miles round trip between two cities up here yesterday , they are 88 miles apart and through the mountains to boot.  the tune trapper worked as well as my F350 superduty truck radio antenna...

Very impressed. Dont Hesitate to buy this one and get the one with the 2 foot lead.

LeRoy

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 08:23:20 PM »

Put one on after trying a dakota which worked till you get 20 miles out of town the tune trapper will pull the same signal for about 60 miles.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 09:27:31 PM »

I disconected the tune trapper and went back to the whip antenna. I would be in the mountains and the other bikes with me were picking up stations i could not get. When I take the fairing back off I`ll send this thing to anyone that wants it.

monorat

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 06:46:39 PM »

OK guys, just bought a 2' tune trapper on Ebay for 19.95 so we will see how it goes. its gonna take me a week to bolt on all the stuff I have already because of this site [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  and I'm still two weeks away from delivery !! Luv it  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
1972 HD 250MX
2005 FLHTCSE2, Yellow, Freedom Pipes, SE air cleaner, power commander, Freedom/Andrews gear drive cams, Saddleman custom seat, XM radio, Freedom shorty antenna, 12.5 HD 440's.

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 25 queries.