Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint Flaking off Cylinders  (Read 1766 times)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Paint Flaking off Cylinders
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:27:50 AM »

I have an 08 SEUC in the shop having the dreaded oil leak repaired on my  cylinder heads and the Mech has found the paint flaking of the Cylinders. He was wanting to have the cylinders replaced by the Moco under warrenty but the Moco said just clean them up and re-paint them. I am in agreement with them because they found nothing else wrong with my cylinders so I would rather they go back together with my original cylinders instead of new ones. Has anyone else noted paint flaking off there cylinders?? I have 11,800 miles on those original cylinders.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Paint Flaking off Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:39:10 AM »

I thought the cylinders were powder coated.  It's possible that cylinder liner movement caused your leak, in which case, you would get new cylinders covered under warranty.  I'd have the service tech look again VERY closely for liner movement 1st and push for new cylinders.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »

According to this master tech there is no liner movement what so ever. I am at the mercy of Harley Davidson!! :-\
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »

According to this master tech there is no liner movement what so ever. I am at the mercy of Harley Davidson!! :-\
Helpless feeling isn't it.   :nervous:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »

From experience, the paint will not last. I did a big bore build on a prior bike and l let the dealer talk me into painting the jugs they had in stock (silver to black). After about a year i had to tear the jugs off to get them powder coated because they looked like crap after the paint started flakiing. Don't accept the paint. Demand exactly what you paid for when you bought your bike.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:35:59 PM »

You have powder coated cylinders. If the powder coating is flaking off, accept nothing less than new powder coated cylinders! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

Well after another week and a half they finally got the paint and they tried to feather the powder coat where it had burned off on the cylinder from the leak. The final result was that it looked like Sh--!! Now my dealer is going to pay for new cylinders,pistons and rings and basically do a new top end on the motor. This should have all been done over a month ago but now I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it will be ready before this week is up.Until then I just bought an 06 Springer Softail with 8000 miles on it to remind me what its like to ride again.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:53:15 PM »

What???  Blending powder coat??   :'(

It seems that the ineptitude must be factory trained and required to keep the dealership..

All over the country we get the same type of reports of just the stupidest dealer/service actions possible.

The days of the 100th anny crush are over and this company may not make it through this reccession acting like this.

How about bulid a decent product for decent price with good service to back it up instead of the crud being slung now.

Sorry for the rant, I am trying to get corbin to make soemthing right and am cranky.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »

It wasn't the dealer that wouldn't warranty the cylinders it was the moco that stated they would only cover touching up the cylinders. My mech a month ago wanted new cylinders but was shot down from Mother Harley. This has been a real painful process with HD. They all no me well now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »

I knew a maintainence action that stupid had to come from on high..
What a bunch of F sticks... The same ones who changed crank run-out specs post assembly and distribution of the product.  The same ones to assign beta testing to the consumer...

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »

I knew a maintainence action that stupid had to come from on high..
What a bunch of F sticks... The same ones who changed crank run-out specs post assembly and distribution of the product.  The same ones to assign beta testing to the consumer...

Twice!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 01:54:59 PM »

Twice!  My bad, I admit there was a problem with my post and now I am fixing it! 

Isn't that the right way to do it?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »

Twice!  My bad, I admit there was a problem with my post and now I am fixing it! 

Isn't that the right way to do it?

Denial is the Milwaukee way! Even if it means changing the specs...twice.  What problem?, "no problem, that's normal", "I've never seen that before" The most common responses.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 02:22:38 PM »

I wonder how they cow all the dealers into drinking the same kool-aid. 
Sucking corporate hat-chee and then the worst, to lie to consumers.

From another thread, I thought it summed it up.

There is no tree
The tree fell
The new tree has roots to prevent it from falling
There is no tree.

The Indie shops should only get stronger because of this crap, I hope.
You'd think one would grow a backbone and say something. 

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.