Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERK Matching Gauges  (Read 2114 times)

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
SERK Matching Gauges
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »

Recently I saw Hoist's thread about getting a pair of the mini gauges for his bike, and it reminded me that I had been thinking about starting this thread for awhile now. I had a set of gauges similar to Hoist's for my '05 RK that I didn't have a chance to install before I sold it to buy my '07 SERK. When I got the new bike I wanted to be able to keep an eye on a couple of things, but I wanted the gauges to match the SERK speedometer. My dealer suggested that I install some of the 2" gauges that are shown in the catalog for fairing equipped bikes. It took a little doing, but I was able to accomplish it with only a moderate amount of stress and a couple of months waiting for parts.

I finished the installation last spring, but I haven't been able to find the time to post this until now. At the time I was most concerned about the high engine temperatures, and also the charging system. I know several people who have had alternator failures that left them stranded, so that has been a big concern for me. Now that I kind of have the temperature under control (SERT), I might think about changing the oil temp to an oil pressure gauge. It is kind of interesting to watch the temperature climb though when going up a hill or a mountain...

Anywho, here's how it looks on the bike. I'll post some more pics of the parts I used and some of the install details too.  8)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

Re: SERK Matching Gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:28:03 PM »

Here are all (most?  ???) of the big parts I used. It's been awhile since I took the picture, but I think it's all the big things. I showed the boxes in the pic so you can read the part numbers off of them -I think. The hardest parts to get are the two black rubber isolator rings. The rubbers normally come with gauges that are intended for installation with this kind of bracket. Unfortunately, the gauges I'm using are only intended to be used on fairing equipped bikes, so they don't come with rubbers...

If someone has an installation sheet for some of the old 2" gauges they might be able to find the part number for the rubbers in the parts breakdown. The parts guy who helped me get them said he thought they fit the electronic compass (maybe?) but he never got a part number for them, and he doesn't work at the dealershop anymore. You can see a "hump" on the rubber rings - I had to trim that off of them, but otherwise they worked great!

Gotta get off the computer for now -I'll post more info later...  8)
S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:31:09 PM »

Recently I saw Hoist's thread about getting a pair of the mini gauges for his bike, and it reminded me that I had been thinking about starting this thread for awhile now. I had a set of gauges similar to Hoist's for my '05 RK that I didn't have a chance to install before I sold it to buy my '07 SERK. When I got the new bike I wanted to be able to keep an eye on a couple of things, but I wanted the gauges to match the SERK speedometer. My dealer suggested that I install some of the 2" gauges that are shown in the catalog for fairing equipped bikes. It took a little doing, but I was able to accomplish it with only a moderate amount of stress and a couple of months waiting for parts.

I finished the installation last spring, but I haven't been able to find the time to post this until now. At the time I was most concerned about the high engine temperatures, and also the charging system. I know several people who have had alternator failures that left them stranded, so that has been a big concern for me. Now that I kind of have the temperature under control (SERT), I might think about changing the oil temp to an oil pressure gauge. It is kind of interesting to watch the temperature climb though when going up a hill or a mountain...

Anywho, here's how it looks on the bike. I'll post some more pics of the parts I used and some of the install details too.  8)

That's a nice clean installation...nice job!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »

Great job looks really good. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:23:08 PM »

Thanks guys.  :) I wanted something that looked like it came on the bike, and this seems to look pretty good. The lights in the gauges are even red and match the light in the stock speedometer/tach, and the red LEDs in the fuel gauge.

Here's a shot of the spacers that are required to make the gauges work with the enclosures. I bought some aluminum spacers at the local hardware store so the screws that attach the chrome enclosures (cans?) to the gauges would have something to screw into. Oddly enough though, one of the gauges uses 10-32 threads, and the other uses a metric M4 with a .7 mm pitch. For the metric threads I think I started with a pair of the 10-32 spacers and drilled them a little larger to allow tapping one end for the M4 x .7 thread. Or I may have used plain, unthreaded spacers and tapped each end - 10-32 on one end and M4 x .7 on the other. Luckily the chrome screws that come with the enclosures are 10-32, so only one set of spacers has to be modified and the other set is a slam dunk.  :)

You can see that I also shortened one pair of the spacers to allow them to adjust to a height that would put a reasonable amount of preload on the rubbers/enclosures and make the gauges fit fairly snug. Unfortunately I don't remember what length of spacers I started with (I think they were .75" long), how long the shortened ones ended up (I think maybe .5" or .625"), or whether I had to shorten the ones with the American or metric threads. It wasn't too hard to figure out though if anyone is thinking of doing this too.

I also used some little nylon washers between the screws and the enclosures to keep the chrome intact in both places. Once the gauges are installed you don't even notice the little washers either.  8)

S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »

Here is a shot of a disconnect plug I added recently. When I first installed the gauges the weather was pretty nice and I just wanted to get out and ride. At first I just had the gauges permanently wired to the bike. That got me on the road quick, but meant that everytime I needed to take the nacelle off (-say, to adjust the neck bearings, or add another electronic gizmo) I had to wrap the gauges to protect them and leave them hanging by the wires or lay them up on the handlebars.

A few weeks ago I added a plug so I could remove the gauges while working on things. I used one similar to the ones used on the turn signals. A couple of years ago I bought a crimper that crimps the pins onto the wires, and it has been one of the best tool investments I have made. It allows you to install plugs just like the factory would.  :mango:

Anyways, here's a shot of the plug installed on the gauges...  ::) I think you can see the nylon washers I talked about in a previous post, along with the plastic plugs with smaller rubber grommets I used to protect the wires as they leave the enclosures. Once the gauges are in place you can't really see the wires or plugs/grommets either.  8)
S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »

Last photo. Here's the plug I installed on the bike side of things. You can see the gauge plug up near the handlebar riser on the right side of the picture. Another thing you can see are the two plugs marked R and L for the driving lights/turn signals. I installed those plugs back when I installed the driving lights/turnsignals so I could take the lights off easily when working inside the nacelle.

I hope everyone can find some good information or ideas they hadn't thought about in all this stuff. It seems like we've all been focused on bike problems too much lately. I thought it would be nice to get back to what I think this site was originally intended to do -spread ideas and information among the faithful!!   :bananarock:

BB  8)
S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:48 PM »

Last photo. Here's the plug I installed on the bike side of things. You can see the gauge plug up near the handlebar riser on the right side of the picture. Another thing you can see are the two plugs marked R and L for the driving lights/turn signals. I installed those plugs back when I installed the driving lights/turnsignals so I could take the lights off easily when working inside the nacelle.

I hope everyone can find some good information or ideas they hadn't thought about in all this stuff. It seems like we've all been focused on bike problems too much lately. I thought it would be nice to get back to what I think this site was originally intended to do -spread ideas and information among the faithful!!   :bananarock:

BB  8)

very nice...thanks for the pictures...great job!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »

Great job, I love it. Any chance you could do a run down of the major part #'s? I can't make 'em out in the pics.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »

Very very nice looking work.  Appreciate that kind of attention detail and final product.  Nicely done indeed :2vrolijk_21: .

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:33:03 PM »

Great job did you wire the volt meter all the way back to the battery or to something in the nacelle? I have a oil temp gauge (mounted differently - see photo) that I wanted for the same reason you did/do and now want to balance it out with the voltage gauge.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:10:33 PM »

Very nice Install job. Looks great :2vrolijk_21:

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:42:24 AM »

great job  :2vrolijk_21:

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »

Great job, I love it. Any chance you could do a run down of the major part #'s? I can't make 'em out in the pics.

If you click on the picture they usually expand to a much larger size. Here are the PN's just in case:
Qty     Description                          P/N
2 ea    Tachometer Can                   74658-05
1 ea    Oil Temp Gauge                    75321-05  (could have a different PN for the kit)
1 ea    Voltmeter Gauge                   74552-04  (could have a different PN for the kit)
1 ea    Bracket, Base, Chrome Billet   67150-04
2 ea    Rubber Gauge Isolator           (don't know PN for these -they came from the Electronic Compass kit I think...)
1 ea    Billet Gauge Brkt, Dual 2"       67648-04
1 ea    Brass Pipe Bushing, 3/8" Male Pipe X 1/8" Female Pipe -from the hardware store

Great job did you wire the volt meter all the way back to the battery or to something in the nacelle? I have a oil temp gauge (mounted differently - see photo) that I wanted for the same reason you did/do and now want to balance it out with the voltage gauge.

I'm at work and can't see the website where your pictures are posted.  ??? Since you already have the oil temp gauge installed you could either splice into the power for that gauge, or find another switched 12V source inside the nacelle -whichever works best for your installation. It's not a good idea to wire it directly to the battery because it would run the battery down after a little while...  :(

Good luck guys, and let me know if you have any other questions.  :)

S&S T124
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 25 queries.