Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: REAR SHOCKS OIL  (Read 2882 times)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
REAR SHOCKS OIL
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »

I read a while back where a member changed their air shock oil to make their stock shocks work a lil better.What oil did they use and how much oil was replaced? Any help would be great.Thanks JDO
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:38:10 PM by JDOFLHRIDER »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: SHOCK OIL
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:17:10 AM »

you mean you haven't done this yet, oh no. jkg
I changed mind at 1k to Amsoil, and changed again to Bel ray Fork oil, much smoother.
Most people don't even know there's oil in the forks, so you're ahead of the game  :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:31:33 PM »

you mean you haven't done this yet, oh no. jkg
I changed mind at 1k to Amsoil, and changed again to Bel ray Fork oil, much smoother.
Most people don't even know there's oil in the forks, so you're ahead of the game  :2vrolijk_21:

Larry,

I think he's asking about changing the oil in the rear air shocks. Most people don't know that's even possible. It's very difficult, but not impossible. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7300.msg106264#msg106264
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 07:36:10 AM »

Larry,

I think he's asking about changing the oil in the rear air shocks. Most people don't know that's even possible. It's very difficult, but not impossible. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7300.msg106264#msg106264
in that post he was talking about the old system where the front and rear operate on an air ride. totally different now.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

Re: REAR SHOCKS OIL
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:34:33 PM »

go to hdtechtalk and do a search.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

chunngle

• Full CVO Member

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »

in that post he was talking about the old system where the front and rear operate on an air ride. totally different now.

They were two separate systems then. The rear remains the same.  Quote from the thread:  "Now the old shocks. My Legends air ride is the old style that used stock shock housings. Taking them off I spilled some oil on the floor and thought nothing of it. I placed a shock in the vise and I couldn't push in on it. WTF? I grabbed a dead blow and gave it a smack. The piston pushed in and oil shot out. I was now able to push the piston in by hand (not easily). Now that I spilled some oil and pushed some out I had no clue how much was in the shock. So I drained it all. I drained around 8-9 ounces but I couldn't account for the spilled fluid. So started my search for the fluid amount. I recall reading somewhere where it took 12 ounces but I was not 100% positive. After coming up dry I called Legends and the tech there confirmed that the shocks take 12 ounces. Well it took me close to an hour and a half to put 12 ounces of oil back into the shock. That sucked. At this point I had enough, the bike rides real good and I called it a night in the shop."

I have followed this same process on newer bikes and it works.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:27:30 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.