Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Revolution performance  (Read 2774 times)

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
Revolution performance
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »

I was looking into upgrading my 01 95" to a new top end.  I found Revolution Performance, in wisconsin, and it seemed like a good kit.  Has anyone here used them before?  I know a lot of folks are using the Axtell, and this looks comparible, but with more cubic inches for similar money.  Of course, any kit needs to be checked out completely before and while installing.   www.revperf.com     Scot
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:17:53 PM by cash338 »
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
Re: Revolution performance
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »

I did not have any luck with the kit. After 18,000 miles it devolped a cold engine knok(PistonSlap). I feel the Cylinders were oversize. I removed them this winter and bored my original cylinders to 98".
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »

I was looking into upgrading my 01 95" to a new top end.  I found Revolution Performance, in wisconsin, and it seemed like a good kit.  Has anyone here used them before?  I know a lot of folks are using the Axtell, and this looks comparible, but with more cubic inches for similar money.  Of course, any kit needs to be checked out completely before and while installing.   www.revperf.com     Scot

I'm going to try to be helpful here because we've got another thread going that started out this way. First off, is this place strictly a parts vendor or id it a shop as well ?  You say "it looks like a good kit "  That would lend me to believe that you are sourcing your own parts. Are you doing your own work ? If not, who is and how do they feel about the place you're sourcing your parts from ? You want to ensure you match your parts and by that I mean a hell of a lot more than simply sizing pistons.

How about you start over, wear your fingerprints down some more and type a about what you want, how you intend to get it and who/what/where you're getting parts and assembly from. Let us know what you'd like your ride to do that it doesn't do now when it's finished. What type of riding do you do ? Two up all the time ?  Haul a trailer or simply haul your own ass as fast as you can ?As stated on other threads, I have a top end source I consider damn near bullet proof, but you sound like you want to buy local, so that's an issue. Lots of folks here willing to help out. For one, member Grover is in Wisconsin and I am SURE he can provide some sound advice. So clue us in just a bit more and we'll see what we can do to lend a hand. There's a lot of variables involved with any project, time and money being the two largest ones.

B B
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:43:15 PM by SPIDERMAN »

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:39:01 AM »

More info....I am a big guy 270lbs.  I ride 2 up 25% of the time.  Live down here in Texas.  It's pretty good riding all year and I have no problem getting good gas.  Although I do ride all over on trips.  The bike has 32000 miles and all I'm trying to do is keep up with all of my buds getting new bikes with the bigger engines...Just an excuse, I'm sure.  I have D&D fat cat's, SE 204 cams, power commander and A N Big sucker.  The next logical performance upgrade is heads.  That made me think about jugs as well and what I could find out there.  I ran across all of the usual suspects that have "packages", some more complete than others.  Then I found  The "revolution performance" and saw that they also have complete packages.

Now after reading several of the horror stories,  I am leary.  So, I threw out the question if anyone had heard of them and if so, how did it turn out.  I'm a decent wrench, and like the fact that some of the companies have done the "reserarch" to come up with some decent packages.  I appreciate the replies above and will try to be more thorough on my description in the future.

As far as boring out your cylinders to a 98, How did that turn out?  Doesn't that get pretty thin? how many miles and Is everything still good?
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:08:17 AM »

It turned out really well. I don't have many miles on it so time will tell. I understand alot have been bored and no issues. Hillside Cycle did mine. Very happy with the work they performed. I had a set of CP Pistons that they matched the cylinders to. I understand if they bore stock cylinders they supply J&E piston????? with the kit. They also reworked the heads, also excellent job. I don't feel they were to thin.

:2vrolijk_21:
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:44:34 AM »

concerning revperf. yep, their kits are proven to work and the company is great. co-owned by nallins.

note: there are reports of early failures---some claim the nikasil was bad on a large batch of cylinders, some claim the builds were not set up properly/cleaned well.  axtel has nikasil kits as well, so its a personal call on the plating.

the 3.965? bored cylinder and je piston combos are working well both on 98 and 107 builds. have no knowledge of failure, nor concerns of being too thin.  axtel provides this as well, with one overbore available.

scott palmer of hillside, king of cubes, and steve at GMR have been boring to this size for some time. you do have to carefully check the ring gaps and ends.

nikasil jugs run cooler. bored jugs have more solid reliability rating. cost is close as the piston kit is pricey.

bang for the buck? the proven 95 inch package cammed and heads worked to hit strong and early for a big man on a bagger! on the 01, i believe you already have the 3:37 primary ratio.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »

concerning revperf. yep, their kits are proven to work and the company is great. co-owned by nallins.

note: there are reports of early failures---some claim the nikasil was bad on a large batch of cylinders, some claim the builds were not set up properly/cleaned well.  axtel has nikasil kits as well, so its a personal call on the plating.

the 3.965? bored cylinder and je piston combos are working well both on 98 and 107 builds. have no knowledge of failure, nor concerns of being too thin.  axtel provides this as well, with one overbore available.

scott palmer of hillside, king of cubes, and steve at GMR have been boring to this size for some time. you do have to carefully check the ring gaps and ends.

nikasil jugs run cooler. bored jugs have more solid reliability rating. cost is close as the piston kit is pricey.

bang for the buck? the proven 95 inch package cammed and heads worked to hit strong and early for a big man on a bagger! on the 01, i believe you already have the 3:37 primary ratio.

Dennis

The ol, if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say it at all applies here!

I had a set of the nakisal cylinders that failed.

Had heard there were early failures and wasn't going to post any negative news about Rev Perf.

Glad you made your post!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »

Dennis

The ol, if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say it at all applies here!

I had a set of the nakisal cylinders that failed.

Had heard there were early failures and wasn't going to post any negative news about Rev Perf.

Glad you made your post!

yep, my diplomacy could use a little polish at times. blame it on my ancestors!!! lol

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.