Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NARROW VS. WIDE - BAND OXYGEN SENSORS  (Read 9936 times)

golaith69

• 06 FLHTCUSE - BLACK CANDY CRIMSON
  • Full CVO Member
  • PLEASE STAND UP WHEN YOU ARE TALKING 2 ME
NARROW VS. WIDE - BAND OXYGEN SENSORS
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:57 AM »

HELLO  ALL ; Has anyone tryed the wide band oxygen sensors over the stock narrow band oxygen sensors ?????

Has anyone noticed if there is any improvement on them in either the performance or the cooling of the motor  , as the manufactures so claims ???

THANKS AGAIN ALL , JEFF
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: NARROW VS. WIDE - BAND OXYGEN SENSORS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »

HELLO  ALL ; Has anyone tryed the wide band oxygen sensors over the stock narrow band oxygen sensors ?????

Has anyone noticed if there is any improvement on them in either the performance or the cooling of the motor  , as the manufactures so claims ???

THANKS AGAIN ALL , JEFF

Jeff,

You can't do it. The stock sensors are two wire units and the wide-band units are 5-wire units. The other problem is that the ECM software is not programmed to use anything but the narrow-band sensors. It wouldn't know what to do with them if you got them installed.

:indian_chief:

golaith69

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »

hello ;  the ad i had seen  , said that they had a wiring harnass adapter that would work and the ECM could be reprogramed...
up grades - true duals , vance & hines slash cuts , power commander , KN super sucker -w/ chrome base , smart siren II w/ pager ,chrome inner primary ,engine lites ,L.E.D tail lites ,chrome windshield molding ,oil temp guage into fairing, speaker trim rings ,radio trim piece , etc.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »

golaith69

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »

hello;  talon ,  yes this i a site that i seen the info on it  ...  thanks again , jeff

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:17:43 PM »

hello;  talon ,  yes this i a site that i seen the info on it  ...  thanks again , jeff

use at your own risk---------what is the extral resistance doing to your ecm?????????????????

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »

use at your own risk---------what is the extral resistance doing to your ecm?????????????????

Should just reduce the voltage, tricking the ECM into adding more fuel. The only problem I see is it's all the time, not just where you really need it. But if your not going for an ECM upgrade of some type, I think a little rich in a few spots would be better than lean and hot.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:05:45 AM »

Jeff,

You can't do it. The stock sensors are two wire units and the wide-band units are 5-wire units. The other problem is that the ECM software is not programmed to use anything but the narrow-band sensors. It wouldn't know what to do with them if you got them installed.

You can use the wide band sensors 'IF' you use an ignition set up for them or the DTT Twin Scan with SERT for 2008 Touring, which only records data. The latter seems to be a better option then the Auto Tune's. I have used both and much happier with the data record and manual tune using the SERT. But as Chief is saying, you cant use the stock wiring and stock ignition for wide-band units.

skidly

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:17:43 AM »

how can you get good data using the twin scan logger when using sert on bikes using 2 oxygen sensors? your narrow band oxygen sensors will not be in your pipes, only the twin scan  wide band sensors will be there ?
 :nixweiss:

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »

how can you get good data using the twin scan logger when using sert on bikes using 2 oxygen sensors? your narrow band oxygen sensors will not be in your pipes, only the twin scan  wide band sensors will be there ?

You might want to look at the thread below, when you make some ATF ratio changes you narrow band O2 sensors are used, the system goes to closed loop.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14136.0

golaith69

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »

HELLO;  ALL ,  I have the SE RACE TUNER  on the bike now ,  it  is my understanding that with the wide band o2 sensors and  the adaptable wiring harness    , it all should work when adjusted rite .....  i  was just wandering if anyone had done it yet !!! and if they had noticed any difference  , in either the cooling of the motor and/or the performance ????  thanks

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:11:55 PM »

HELLO;  ALL ,  I have the SE RACE TUNER  on the bike now ,  it  is my understanding that with the wide band o2 sensors and  the adaptable wiring harness    , it all should work when adjusted rite .....  i  was just wandering if anyone had done it yet !!! and if they had noticed any difference  , in either the cooling of the motor and/or the performance ????  thanks

Goliath,

If you have the SERT, then you have what you need to solve the lean running motor. The wideband sensors will not get you anything more. The ECM does not know how to talk to the WB sensors, it only understands the NB sensors.

My suggestion is to leave the sensors alone and take the bike to have the ECM tuned with the SERT. You'll be much better off that way instead of trying to use parts the ECM was not designed to use.

Good luck.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 03:42:30 AM »

I don't use the narrow band with the twin scan and SERT. I'm using the DTT Wide Band Sensors with the Twin Scan. On 2008 Touring this is the closest option you can get to auto tuning using wide band sensors. Just pointing out the SERT can be used with wide band sensors, IF YOUR USING TWIN SCAN. A lot of people don't like the hassle recording data then making necessary adjustments. I actually like it over autotune because you don't get the fluctuations as you do in autotune and the process actually forces you to learn more about tuning. Besides, i think it's a kick in the arse too.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »

Goliath,

If you have the SERT, then you have what you need to solve the lean running motor. The wideband sensors will not get you anything more. The ECM does not know how to talk to the WB sensors, it only understands the NB sensors.

My suggestion is to leave the sensors alone and take the bike to have the ECM tuned with the SERT. You'll be much better off that way instead of trying to use parts the ECM was not designed to use.

Good luck.

Goliath, Chief is right on. Best way to understand in layman's terms is NB sensors are basically a on-off switch that work with the Delphi ECM to maintain a preset AFR so they have limitations. Japanese and German bikes that use wide band O2 sensors work with ECM's that accept a continuously variable input to maintain the AFR.  As someone mentioned you can change the ECM that accepts the wb sensors but that is a whole another story. As far as the SERT is concerned, its just an interface that allows you to reprogram your existing delphi ecm. Not to complicate things more but the nb O2 sensors are just one of the inputs into the HD ecm that controls the fuel injectors/ignition.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.