Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's that Effn Stench?  (Read 1252 times)

REGGAB

What's that Effn Stench?
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »

Seems like every time I go away and subsequently return home, something happens.  An earlier venture cost me dearly in the form of a new washer and dryer.  Wasn't too terribly upset, since the retired set lasted 14 years, with only one repair.  This past outing, however.........takes the cake......and it didn't cost a dime.
Got home, and noticed a stench in the kitchen.  Awful!  Was wondering if Renea tried to make cabbage rolls again, and got confused as to the difference between tsp and tbs.  It's happened.  No, not this time.  Our young CVO Boxer, Springer, has been giving the fridge a wide berth lately.  Noticed it this morning especially.  Got up from here to go figure a method to get a stranded Thumper off a broken jack, when he took a different route to the garage.  I took my usual route........right past the fridge..........and the stench hit me hard.  Compressor was running, so the amplification was exponential.  Understand, the odor has been very strong sometimes, yet not so strong others.  Now I know why.  So I pull the fridge out, take off the access panel, and this is what I found.  Actually, he was behind the fan bulkhead with his tail sticking out.  Figure he was living in there, but that one time he crept by the fan, the compressor kicked on and wacked him.  Yuck!

SPIDERMAN

Re: What's that Effn Stench?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »

Seems like every time I go away and subsequently return home, something happens.  An earlier venture cost me dearly in the form of a new washer and dryer.  Wasn't too terribly upset, since the retired set lasted 14 years, with only one repair.  This past outing, however.........takes the cake......and it didn't cost a dime.
Got home, and noticed a stench in the kitchen.  Awful!  Was wondering if Renea tried to make cabbage rolls again, and got confused as to the difference between tsp and tbs.  It's happened.  No, not this time.  Our young CVO Boxer, Springer, has been giving the fridge a wide berth lately.  Noticed it this morning especially.  Got up from here to go figure a method to get a stranded Thumper off a broken jack, when he took a different route to the garage.  I took my usual route........right past the fridge..........and the stench hit me hard.  Compressor was running, so the amplification was exponential.  Understand, the odor has been very strong sometimes, yet not so strong others.  Now I know why.  So I pull the fridge out, take off the access panel, and this is what I found.  Actually, he was behind the fan bulkhead with his tail sticking out.  Figure he was living in there, but that one time he crept by the fan, the compressor kicked on and wacked him.  Yuck!

And you guys actually write songs like " Sweet Home Alabama " 

If this is your idea of sweet, I absolutely do not want to hear about sour  :o

B B

PS. we keep all the mice in California at the Mouse House up the road in Anaheim.  :P

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:04:52 PM »

Henry - This is like 2LR's dead cat story, only different.  Might check around, mice usually have company.

Anyway, what about Thumper & the broken jack? 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:42:03 PM »

Just got through getting rid of a family of the little critters a couple of months ago...they had taken up residence in the spare bedroom where Toby, my bird lives.  Little chits were going into his cage bottom (he can't get down to that part as there is a metal grid to keep him out of the "droppings") and feasting on the seed that Toby drops or throws out of his food bowl because he doesn't like that particular seed.  Ended up catching the daddy first, then the mama...noticed her teats looked recently used...so ended up catching 3 of the little ones in that room, and one more in the basement.  Guess the little guys had found themselves a warm place to spend the winter with an endless food supply.  Just field mice from the woods behind the house.  Now that I have the Terriers, doubt I'll have any more problems with mice.  They'll tear chit up to get to a critter...the Chipmunks out in the yard are already being stalked, so when warmer weather gets here, I'll have some craters in the yard, and terrorized Alvins...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »

Henry - This is like 2LR's dead cat story, only different.  Might check around, mice usually have company.
Anyway, what about Thumper & the broken jack? 

That's a fact.  About once a year I have to round up a few.  Same with the racoons and possum's in the yard at night.  Not the back yard, mind you (Akita and German Shepherd), but often find them under the front overhang in the front yard...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 04:03:13 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 03:52:23 PM »

Henry - This is like 2LR's dead cat story, only different.  Might check around, mice usually have company.Anyway, what about Thumper & the broken jack? 

Yessir.  This'n ain't the first.  We catch pretty regular.  There's new construction going on around us in what used to be cotton fields, and still plenty of cotton fields.  All of us out here are dealing with these guys.  It happens.  They drive the CVO Boxers crazy.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:17:03 PM »

I get those critters here all the time. I started off setting traps to catch them until I notice Cheri setting food out for them in little bowls on the counter. THAT's a true animal lover.  I feed them too, but I feed them barbait.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 04:20:51 PM »

That's a fact.  About once a year I have to round up a few.  Same with the racoons and possum's in the yard at night.  Not the back yard, mind you (Akita and German Shepherd), but often find them under the front overhang in the front yard...

You know if you shot a racoon with a pellet gun, they do backflips and scream before they run off (and they usually don't come back for awhile)  - but shooting possums with a pellet gun is of no consequence to them...they don't even flinch...

But, the Akita makes short work of either racoons or possums if they venture into the back yard...  Racoons are smart enough to not cross the line...but possums are not always so bright....

To bad my zoning rules don't allow anymore then a pellet gun in my yard....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »

You're luck.........it could have been in a wall. Have seen my ex-inlaws tear out their whole bathroom looking for the dead stinker. Guess that's one way to get a room redone. Hope it never happens to anyone though.
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »

You're luck.........it could have been in a wall. Have seen my ex-inlaws tear out their whole bathroom looking for the dead stinker. Guess that's one way to get a room redone. Hope it never happens to anyone though.

You know, that is one item that causes much worry for us.  Cook's does our pest control.  They've placed bait traps strategically through the house.  I questioned them about this very concern.  They say that although it is possible, MOST of the time the rodent will eat the blue stuff, get sick, go outside, and expire.

After this most recent incident, I'm more concerned.  Our house is not yet two years old.........and the second we've built since 2005.  Back on the farm in Tennessee, we saw our fair share of field mice, but with traps, a feral cat or three (depending on how many got dumped at the crossroads) and our dearly departed Sassy Girl Boxer, we kept them under control.

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »

MOST of the time the rodent will eat the blue stuff, get sick, go outside, and expire.

When I lived in MA, my show car was stored in a heated garage during the winter. Another car that had been stored there a few year before had mice build a nest in the engine, so I was worried. My husband put out that blue chit, and kept replenishing it each week! I thought there must be an army of mice there. Ended up that they were storing the stuff in my car! I never found any damage that they may have caused, but to this day (going on 4 yrs later) I still find some of that poison falling out of the most unusual places.  :o
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »

D-con makes a nice mouse trap I used...it's a black rectangular plastic box with a "mouse hole" on one end, and a traditional style spring loaded bar inside...the difference is you don't risk a finger getting popped setting the trap, and it's got a little black plastic cup inside to hold the bait.  A pea sized dollop of peanut butter works well in the little cup. All you see when the mouse gets caught is it's little butt and tail sticking out the hole in the end...you don't have to touch the little guy to get him out, nor see any blood and stuff.  I don't like any kind of poisons because of pets and other wildlife that might get ahold of the bait by accident.

I hate to kill the little chits, but they have no place in my home...if they'd keep their little butts out in the woods, we'd get along just fine, but cold weather and lack of food drives them in. 

Now rats...that's a different matter....those things can get aggressive.  I think they're more of a problem in metro areas, as I've never seen one in the 20 years I've spent in this house.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 03:23:24 AM »

Then there's always the ole double whammy:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.