Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ECM-What do I need?  (Read 1938 times)

Wildrat

ECM-What do I need?
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »

Hello All,
I am sure this has been covered every way you can imagine but I cannot find the exact info I need.
I have two 06 Street Glides, one with 25 degree injectors from factory, and one with 25 degree injectors installed at the dealer. Both bikes have the Stage 1 software update to the ECM.
I had Power Commander 3 USB  on both bikes before the Stage 1 update. The Total Commanders are easy, Plug and Play.
I want to be able to tune my bikes without using PC3USB, since one of the PC3USB shorted out.
I have talked to the dealer at 3 different dealers trying to get answers to the same questions and I get conflicting information, like you get when you go in Radio Shack and ask a question about something electronic. They get that glazed look in their eyes and then BS pours out their mouth.
Now my question: What do I need to tune these two bikes? I have the Laptop already. I have read about the TTS tuner, I know I need to buy somemore equipment but if someone could just list it here I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
WildRat

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: ECM-What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »

http://www.mastertune.net/HD_master_tune.html

Check here for a multibike tuning system.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:17:31 PM »

yup.

The TTS mastertune is all you need to do multiple bikes with the same dongle. :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Wildrat

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:53:48 PM »

So I buy Master Tune. Then I also buy one dongle or two?

1. Laptop
2. Master Tune Dual Program (2Bikes)(This item will do two bikes. Will I be able to put different maps etc. into the bikes?)
3. USB Cable/dongle Kit (Do I need one or two of these?)
4. I have the stock ECM in both bikes ( Do I have to buy something else or am I loading the maps into the stock ECM's ?)
5. Is there anything else I am suppose to have?
6. I am sure this is as easy to map as the PC3USB, but it sure seems confusing. If I understand this correctly tell me. The Master tune system is the software for the computer and the usb/dongle cable is what connects the laptop to the ECM. Is the usb cable/dongle just a cable or does it have some proprietary hardware on it?

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:28 PM »

1. Laptop
2. Master Tune Dual Program (2Bikes)(This item will do two bikes. Will I be able to put different maps etc. into the bikes?)
4. I have the stock ECM in both bikes ( Do I have to buy something else or am I loading the maps into the stock ECM's ?)
6. I am sure this is as easy to map as the PC3USB, but it sure seems confusing. If I understand this correctly tell me. The Master tune system is the software for the computer and the usb/dongle cable is what connects the laptop to the ECM. Is the usb cable/dongle just a cable or does it have some proprietary hardware on it?

you will need to buy the cables that connect from the computer to the TTS "dongle" and the cable from the "dongle" to the ECM plug on the bike.
the same cables and "dongle" will be used on both bikes.

you can load two completely different maps onto each bike, the dongle will "lock" to each ECM.

you're loading new maps into the stock ECM, nothing else to buy.

the TTS "dongle" is a black box that comes with the software. it has the hardware built into it.
you connect the dongle with the cables to the ECM whenever you want to load a new map or make changes to your map on the ECM, after that you disconnect everything and nothing "extra" is left connected to the ECM (unlike the PCIII).
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

eddfive

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 08:18:13 AM »

The least expensive way to get a tuner that programs the ECU is to use Direct Link by Technoresearch.  DL tunes identical to SERT.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »

1. Laptop

Try contacting them, they will talk to you

eddfive

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 12:30:58 PM »

The best thing to do is find a reputable tuner and discuss with him/her the options.  A good tuner will be able to tune any tuning device you choose.  Everybody has an opinion but you should rely on the tuner doing the work.

Wildrat

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »

Thanks Everyone for your help.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:06:07 PM »

Where are you located?

Wildrat

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »

Clearwater, we were actually going to be headed your way this weekend but now the wife has to work.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »

You have a PM...

Wildrat

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

Thanks Everyone! I'm a little late, but have been here, there, and everywhere.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.