Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taking son on a 3 day camping trip!  (Read 1081 times)

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Taking son on a 3 day camping trip!
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »

i have finally negotiated to get my son on the back of the CUSE  for a three day camping trip (son's all too willing - mom less enthusiastic).  Anyway, he is 10 years old.  My plan is to ride up the coast of northern california starting in San Francisco.  My thought was to ride along the coast because there are a lot of distractions/things to do on the side of the road (hikes, fishing, campgounds, visiting centers and small towns.). I would drive upwards of 250 miles or so and then we would camp out at a campsite. Drive another 250 miles north, campout and then take two days to come back.  I know we discussed this before (tying the kid to the bike in the case he falls asleep or not tying him in) - making sure you dont push him too much and make lots of stopping.  My son has ridden on my bike for some medium day trips but nothing like a three day camping trip. 

My son is going to keep a log everyday about our experience and we have been putting together concepts/discssion that we have both agreed to have a serious discusss on.  This is my first opportunity to really bond with my boy just he and myself (since i have 4 kids and its hard to spend as much time as i would like with each individually).  My goal is to take each one of my kids on the trip when they become 10 years old.

Question - many of you guys have had such expereinces in the world of biking, particularily with respect to riding with your kids. I thought perhaps members may have some ideas/advice on how to make this trip really special.   We are shooting to do the trip in June

best

Free
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:24:37 PM by Free »

hogasm

Re: Taking son on a 3 day camping trip!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »

Free, I had the opportunity to meet a Navy man on the way to Laconia a few years back. He had his 10 year old son on the back of his Wide Glide. After each of his 6 month deployments he would take either his son or daughter on a 2 week trip on the bike.

He had a harness made up for his children that had straps from them and would hook up on himself on his front. This would keep them from falling in the event they would fall asleep. Thought this was a cleaver way to keep them from falling off. Essentially it was a modified fishing belt that keeps the fishing rod from falling overboard if the angler looses his/her grip.

Belts can be purchased from any sporting goods or one of the large " Bass Pro....Cabellas...etc" shops.

Good luck :2vrolijk_21:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »

Do you have the intercom set up with his helmet?

I know that it totally changed Cindy's enjoyment of riding and sure makes the sight seeing better.  The BSR usually sees stuff the rider doesn't and vice versa.

Beats a 10 year old trying to hear or talk in the wind.  I'd have to think it would add greatly to a two up experience like you describe.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »

(since i have 4 kids and its hard to spend as much time as i would like with each individually).  My goal is to take each one of my kids on the trip when they become 10 years old.

Free

You have four kids 10 and younger? ???   God Bless you man!

We raised two boys - Plenty enough for me!

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »

Free, I had the opportunity to meet a Navy man on the way to Laconia a few years back. He had his 10 year old son on the back of his Wide Glide. After each of his 6 month deployments he would take either his son or daughter on a 2 week trip on the bike.

He had a harness made up for his children that had straps from them and would hook up on himself on his front. This would keep them from falling in the event they would fall asleep. Thought this was a cleaver way to keep them from falling off. Essentially it was a modified fishing belt that keeps the fishing rod from falling overboard if the angler looses his/her grip.

Belts can be purchased from any sporting goods or one of the large " Bass Pro....Cabellas...etc" shops.

Good luck :2vrolijk_21:

A friend of mine told me that child safety harnesses were required for youth passengers under the age of 16 in Florida.  I have seen them, but never looked for one anywhere.  I saw a couple here in Rome with mom and one child on one mc and dad and another child on another mc and both had them.  Didn't attempt to roll down window and scream "Where did you get that?"  When Robert rides with me.  I simply buckle his belt to the back of mine.  It is more so I can tell what he is doing.  He likes to look around me to see where we're going so when I feel him pulling to one side, I remind him to sit back up straight. 

My tip would be glasses, gloves, and IPOD!
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »

My son started riding with me at 2 on the tank around my little community.  By 4 he was on the back and loving every minute of it.  My father and I modified a car seat harness to attach to the back of my sporty and belted him with the 5 point harness.  The problem with that is if you ever go down the kids stuck to the bike.  Now they have this:

http://www.childridingbelt.com/enghome.htm

My son who is 13 now still rides with me every chance he gets.  In fact we're doing a 4 day trip to the Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland this sumer.  He's saved up over $1000 so far towards a V-Rod and rides dirt bike with me now.  I've had a lot of parents look down on me as a biker and a parent who "Endanger" their son that way, but I know what my son is doing.  I know where he is at night.  And he's never been in the trouble that some of these "good kids" get into.  The motorcycling gives us a link to remain close even now that he's into "that age." 

He's already got a promise from the owners of our delaership for him to get an internship when he's old enough.  He participates fund raising for MDA with our HOG chapter of which he is an associate member.  Riding on the back of my bike is the best thing that ever happened.   You can pass that along to Mom.  My wife, well I got sick of her and my son getting mad at me for taking one and not the other and I'm not ready for a side hack yet.  So after 18 years as a BSR, my wife rides her own.  And we spend more time together as a family then anyone I know.  And we never have to force my son to come along.

Enjoy the ride.  It will pay off.  Just be sure to let him pick some roads.
Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »

I've got an 11 year old daughter who told me she really misses riding my motorcycle.  Of the 6,000 miles I have on it, she was on for about 4,000 of them.  She's fallen asleep before but I have a lot of confidence with her the floor boards right under her knees that she'll stay upright.  I'd be much more leery if I had just a sissy bar and passenger pegs.

Free, I love your idea.  I may borrow it.  I wouldn't go much beyond 200 miles and spend a lot of time hiking and eating in bad diners.  I have a small tent that we share in our back yard.  Those memories will last us a life time.  We used it on the outfield of the local baseball park on Girl Scout night after a friday night game last summer.  They showed a movie on the Jumbotron that I slept through. 

My only advise is to bring a camera and stop ALL the time to explore everything.  That makes the ride feel like the trip itself instead of just transportation.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 02:48:20 PM »

Do you have the intercom set up with his helmet?

I know that it totally changed Cindy's enjoyment of riding and sure makes the sight seeing better.  The BSR usually sees stuff the rider doesn't and vice versa.

Beats a 10 year old trying to hear or talk in the wind.  I'd have to think it would add greatly to a two up experience like you describe.

I hear you Roger.  I have a helmet for my son with the intercom and now need to get a half helmet for me (cant get used to full size).

Free
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:53:42 PM by Free »

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »

instead of replying to each of you - just going to say thanks for all the good advice/thoughts.

yeah, i got 4 kids under 10 - its organized chaos at our house!!
my wife is a school teacher so she just keeps them all in line.
so far so good - they all like to ride on the motorcycle (even the 2 yr. old likes to sit on it and try and turn the throttle), camp, bike and fish - so we keep them busy.

Free

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:18:34 PM »

What a fantastic idea taking you kid on a trip like that. i have no advice, just wanted to support you creating memories of a life time for you both!
BTW. with a wife and four kids how did you come up with the handle "Free" ?

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »

What a fantastic idea taking you kid on a trip like that. i have no advice, just wanted to support you creating memories of a life time for you both!
BTW. with a wife and four kids how did you come up with the handle "Free" ?

that's funny!!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »

I hear you Roger.  I have a helmet for my son with the intercom and now need to get a half helmet for me (cant get used to full size).

Free

:2vrolijk_21:  He'll love that.

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.