Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tuned right?  (Read 969 times)

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
tuned right?
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:47:02 AM »

Howdy. I've got a FLHRSE4 Annie with SERT and Rineharts. The dealer ran the bike on their dyno to set the bike to the tuner. The bike had 0 miles when this all started and the dealer ran up the 50 miles for break-in when they tuned it. they kept speed and load down because of low miles and told me to bring it back when I get some miles on it so they can recheck it. I've got about 400 miles on it so far. I've been reading about the leaky head gaskets and so on. I'm not a mechanic much less a tuner. I have attended a couple of local clinics about tuning and exhausts. The main thing I hear everywhere is that bluing on a pipe is caused by improper tuning. I was looking at my pipes and noticed that my front pipe has changed to a brownish color. My rear pipe is blue. This makes me believe that the rear is running too hot. I think I understand that the SERT can individually adjust each cylinder to help with temps. I am hoping that if the tuning gets right it will help rear cylinder temps and maybe even the head gasket issues from happening. Am I thinking right on this? I thinks I have to study about tuning so I will know if the tuner man is doing things right.
Keep your knees to the breeze.   
Keep your knees to the breeze

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: tuned right?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:35 AM »

Are you referring to bluing behind the shields?  If so, I wouldn't get too caught up in that.  They all do it eventually.  If the bluing is on the pipes and shields, well that's a different story.  Yes, it's possible to tune the cylinders individually.  With 50 miles to tune it the tech may have tuned both cylinders individually.  I'd ask them if they did.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 07:28:11 PM »

Howdy. I've got a FLHRSE4 Annie with SERT and Rineharts. The dealer ran the bike on their dyno to set the bike to the tuner. The bike had 0 miles when this all started and the dealer ran up the 50 miles for break-in when they tuned it. they kept speed and load down because of low miles and told me to bring it back when I get some miles on it so they can recheck it. I've got about 400 miles on it so far. I've been reading about the leaky head gaskets and so on. I'm not a mechanic much less a tuner. I have attended a couple of local clinics about tuning and exhausts. The main thing I hear everywhere is that bluing on a pipe is caused by improper tuning. I was looking at my pipes and noticed that my front pipe has changed to a brownish color. My rear pipe is blue. This makes me believe that the rear is running too hot. I think I understand that the SERT can individually adjust each cylinder to help with temps. I am hoping that if the tuning gets right it will help rear cylinder temps and maybe even the head gasket issues from happening. Am I thinking right on this? I thinks I have to study about tuning so I will know if the tuner man is doing things right.
Keep your knees to the breeze.   
Run it till you get couple of hundred miles more on it and then take it in for a extensive tune (4 to 6 hours on a dyno). If your tech is decent, you should be good to go.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 04:25:31 AM »

Last time I checked, tuning both cylinders is a mandatory prerequisite for a proper tune. And the other pearl of wisdom: I am waiting well over 2000 miles before I take my 08 SERK to the tuner. My humble logic is simple: the stress factor that your engine goes through during a dyno run is tremendous. Why take your new 110" before it is fully broken in through the torture? The easy on the new engine dyno makes sense. Checking the techs work later on, makes sense as well. Pulling 6th gear WTO for a variable degree of accuracy just to verify how anemic the factory settings are, is just too risky. Until it's ready, of course...

Yes on tune after 2000 miles or more.
Yes on both cylinders tuned...Of course.
Yes on your assumption the temps will be better after tuning.
Yes on your thinking because you obviously have a great taste in Motorcycles, how bad could the rest of your thoughts be?
No on worrying about bluing. Destiny. Get some blu boy or blu off or something if it bothers you any further.
No way to do a quick study of tuning in my opinion. It is an art form of sort: a technical art form. The results can be as good as Monet or Leonardo DiVinci, or the opposite. It is an ongoing study with many variables and techy tricks that never seem to end due to all of the endless products we purchase. To gain your trust would be the best thing a tuner could do. Then develop a relationship. It works better when you get to know them.

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.