Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock ECM calibration 2008 SERK-same as SERT calibration?  (Read 2519 times)

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member
Stock ECM calibration 2008 SERK-same as SERT calibration?
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »

Do the stock ECM's on the CVO bike's, in particular my 2008 SERK, come with a different ECM calibration than what one would download from a canned SERT map? In other words, here's the calibration I would probably load from the Super SERT I just received:

Calibration # 104: 2008 Touring Exhaust with O2
Sensors
Configuration: 1800 SE A/C & Race Exhaust
File Name: 200UI001
Components:
• SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit P/N 29440-99C
• Race Exhaust

I already have the stock Touring exhaust and would just need to add the SE Air Cleaner to use this map. Is this correct OR

Is this or a similar performance map already loaded on my 2008 SERK or is the stock map generic and the same as whats loaded on all 2008 Touring bikes?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 07:34:39 AM by ace07fxdl »

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
Re: Stock ECM calibration 2008 SERK-same as SERT calibration?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 02:03:25 AM »

I would like to know if once you have the SERT, cables and software can you look at the current map running on your bike? I have read many SERT posts and I got the impression that unless you know what map is loaded and have a copy on your PC you could not actually extract the running map from the ECM as your base line.

Am I all wrong?

I have a SERT # 32107-01L for my 08 SERK, I can buy the cables at the local dealer, and probably get the software from someone on this great site.

I would really like to know what is the existing setup the Ohio HD dealer loaded into my bike. They loaded one of the canned maps for SE A/C and V & H Oval slipons, no dyno because it was brand new with 8 miles on the motor.

Thanks  :confused:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 06:45:38 AM »

Do the stock ECM's on the CVO bike's, in particular my 2008 SERK, come with a different ECM calibration than what one would download from a canned SERT map? In other words, here's the calibration I would probably load from the Super SERT I just received:

Sensors
Components:
• Race Exhaust

I already have the stock Touring exhaust and would just need to add the SE Air Cleaner to use this map. Is this correct OR

Is this or a similar performance map already loaded on my 2008 SERK or is the stock map generic and the same as whats loaded on all 2008 Touring bikes?

Your bike from the MOCO has  a lean EPA map and should be different than the standard 96 Ultras.   Put the a/c on and download the SERT map you have picked out and it should run better.  You can either run the way it is with that map or have it tweaked on a dyno.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »

I would really like to know what is the existing setup the Ohio HD dealer loaded into my bike. They loaded one of the canned maps for SE A/C and V & H Oval slipons, no dyno because it was brand new with 8 miles on the motor.

Normally a canned map that is around $100 is just a download that isn't much better than stock and is still lean.  If you have a SERT, you can pick a download close to your set up, install and know what you have.  Or then have it dyno tuned.  Most dealers won't give you a copy of their dyno tuned map.  It is yours and you paid for it but they won't give it up.  At least on the old SERT's, you couldn't read what was installed on the bike. Maybe the new ones are different.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »

ace07fxdl ,  you are correct about the map .if your going to use the  sert back the afr's that are 14 or more down to 13.9,  this is a good place to start.  if you have decel pop or romble start backing off the decel enleanment . good luck
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:59:23 PM »

I would like to know if once you have the SERT, cables and software can you look at the current map running on your bike? I have read many SERT posts and I got the impression that unless you know what map is loaded and have a copy on your PC you could not actually extract the running map from the ECM as your base line.

Am I all wrong?

I have a SERT # 32107-01L for my 08 SERK, I can buy the cables at the local dealer, and probably get the software from someone on this great site.

I have not found away to pull the map out and look at the settings too see what has been changed if any. You can hook up to it and see what canned map was put in, you can run it up and see where the AFR is and timing, but it would be hard to tell if they had made changes in certain cells on the AFR, timing, accel, decel and so on. Thats why I hate to write over a map that has been dyno tuned in a bike when someone wants to make other changes in it. I maybe wrong but I have been told that Harley dealers can hook up and see what has been changed in the map. Been trying to get my hands on a dealers laptop to call my own, but I think it would be easier to break into Fort Knox ha, aw come on dad let me have the keys to the car  :pepper:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:34:07 PM »

i had a great reply but my COMCAST MODOM crashed again and its just to late , but no the dealer does not have a way to pull out changes to the map only the base map , if there was a secret i would share
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »

Am I all wrong?

The software (CD Rom) should have come with your SERT when you bought it.  If you had the dealer mate up the SERT to your bike for you, they may have fogotten to give you the software disk.  I had the dealer mate up my SERT prior to delivery and when I picked up the bike they gave me the SERT interface only.  So I asked them where the cable was that I bought and also shouldn't there be software that comes with it?  The apologized profusely and gave me the cable and the CD.   The Cd will have all the canned maps on it and you just pick out the one that most closely resembles what you have. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »

The software (CD Rom) should have come with your SERT when you bought it.  If you had the dealer mate up the SERT to your bike for you, they may have forgotten to give you the software disk.  I had the dealer mate up my SERT prior to delivery and when I picked up the bike they gave me the SERT interface only.  So I asked them where the cable was that I bought and also shouldn't there be software that comes with it?  The apologized profusely and gave me the cable and the CD.   The Cd will have all the canned maps on it and you just pick out the one that most closely resembles what you have. 

:devil:

Thanks, time to talk to the dealer about the software. I still need to buy the cables. Bike has 350 miles on it now but I think it is still a bit lean, pipes are turning yellowish for quite a long way down the pipe from the head. Temps around the spark plug after a ride may are around 280~300.
I'll check the plugs tomorrow.
 :2vrolijk_21:

old wrench

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 08:47:34 AM »

Thanks, time to talk to the dealer about the software. I still need to buy the cables. Bike has 350 miles on it now but I think it is still a bit lean, pipes are turning yellowish for quite a long way down the pipe from the head. Temps around the spark plug after a ride may are around 280~300.
I'll check the plugs tomorrow.
 :2vrolijk_21:
Yellowish in not bad, blue is the killer most of the time 280 to 300 not bad, just please dont cover those plugs with those little look pretties, I know they look good but that plug needs to breath the heat off it, higher the temp higher the ohms

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

Sensors
Components:
• Race Exhaust

This is not really going to answer your question and is really sharing my experience with the Power Commander on my FLHTCUSE3 yesterday. The bottom end range is really lean and pulling out is always a challenge with lots of clutch feathering and simultaneous rpm revs. Not what I have had with my FLRHSE2 and the SERT which has been flawless for 5 years. Dealership spent about 4 hours on the dyno for the bottom end and then came and told me the PCIII is incompatible with my bike-this from Power Comander-their position is the failure is vehicle specific. HUH???

Bottom line the dealer is installing a SERT at no charge and will dyno the setup at 1K miles. Does this sound at all right to anyone with more knowledge than I??
Ended up back on the stock ECM for now and the bottom end is better with the mileage still under 25 MPG.
Mods are simpley Stage 1 and Rhinehart Tru Duals

Sound off before I install a 1/4 stick necxt to the ECM :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

old wrench

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »

This is not really going to answer your question and is really sharing my experience with the Power Commander on my FLHTCUSE3 yesterday. The bottom end range is really lean and pulling out is always a challenge with lots of clutch feathering and simultaneous rpm revs. Not what I have had with my FLRHSE2 and the SERT which has been flawless for 5 years. Dealership spent about 4 hours on the dyno for the bottom end and then came and told me the PCIII is incompatible with my bike-this from Power Comander-their position is the failure is vehicle specific. HUH???

Bottom line the dealer is installing a SERT at no charge and will dyno the setup at 1K miles. Does this sound at all right to anyone with more knowledge than I??
Ended up back on the stock ECM for now and the bottom end is better with the mileage still under 25 MPG.
Mods are simpley Stage 1 and Rhinehart Tru Duals

Sound off before I install a 1/4 stick necxt to the ECM :coolblue:
My thoughts on piggie backs or addons such as the PCIII, which they are good, is that when you add something like this it sends a false signal to the ECM with time 2 or more years later they can give you trouble  :oops: I have seen them lock the ECM down and it will have to be replaced a few times. I like to program the ECM so that it is in full charge of the settings you want to see, a good tuner can set up the SERT to give you top performance. The only thing is you need to know what changes he makes to you canned map, have him print it out any changes he makes to your base map, the AFR, timing curve front and rear, and VE front and rear etc. I have not found a way to read the changes made on a map after its installed, it would be nice to be able to pull it out, change a cell or two and reprogram. When I set one up I normaly use the same AFR in most of my cells, changing the VE for performance, and the accel and decel enrichment, I set the the AFR lean and the timing down in the 750rpm and 20, 30 MAP cells for a better starting warm engine it lets the engine crank up quick and gets it off the starter. Like I was saying a good tuner can give you top performance and 95% of the time that is what they are looking at on the dyno, not thinking of the other things that come into play with a good starting and running bike.

With your mileage under 25 on a stock ECM, I would be in question of it in its self. Did they do a total reburn of the ECM after your PCIII was taken off or did they set you up rich until your SERT is dyno tuned?   Hope this helps  :2vrolijk_21:

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »

My thoughts on piggie backs or addons such as the PCIII, which they are good, is that when you add something like this it sends a false signal to the ECM with time 2 or more years later they can give you trouble  :oops: I have seen them lock the ECM down and it will have to be replaced a few times. I like to program the ECM so that it is in full charge of the settings you want to see, a good tuner can set up the SERT to give you top performance. The only thing is you need to know what changes he makes to you canned map, have him print it out any changes he makes to your base map, the AFR, timing curve front and rear, and VE front and rear etc. I have not found a way to read the changes made on a map after its installed, it would be nice to be able to pull it out, change a cell or two and reprogram. When I set one up I normaly use the same AFR in most of my cells, changing the VE for performance, and the accel and decel enrichment, I set the the AFR lean and the timing down in the 750rpm and 20, 30 MAP cells for a better starting warm engine it lets the engine crank up quick and gets it off the starter. Like I was saying a good tuner can give you top performance and 95% of the time that is what they are looking at on the dyno, not thinking of the other things that come into play with a good starting and running bike.

With your mileage under 25 on a stock ECM, I would be in question of it in its self. Did they do a total reburn of the ECM after your PCIII was taken off or did they set you up rich until your SERT is dyno tuned?   Hope this helps  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Wrench,
Frankly it's alot like GREEK to me. I believe he just went back to the stock ECM settings which he said are rich if memory serves me. The SERT gets installed on the 26-soonest they could be sure to have it and I could make the 1 hour ride to the dealer. I have given them the url for this sight and will print your thoughts out for the wrench there to take a look see.  :coolblue:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 10:47:24 AM by Capo »

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 08:31:47 AM »

Just ask them for a copy of the map from the laptop.  I gave my dealer a USB thumb drive.  The dealer also keeps copies of all maps made.  Just ask.  I got some push back, but it's like X Raays, you paid for them, you can take them.  A dealer that won't give you a copy is a dealer I would not use.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 25 queries.