Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie question on slipon's  (Read 1247 times)

sonic03insc

Newbie question on slipon's
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »

I have some Bassani slipons, can they be put on without a tune? I have 07 SERK. thanks John

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Newbie question on slipon's
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »

As far as I know any slipons could be put on without a tune, but what are you trying to achieve?

noise? power? with out tuning you will not get optimum performance and run the risk that the addition

may effect the air/fuel ratio due to the increased/decreased air flow....too lean may damage engine long term

too rich and fuel mileage goes to hell with power. Many slipons get put on without a tune and I would bet that

most likely there would not be many consequences other than not knowing if it is optimal.  I have never changed an

exhaust without tuning the bike (but that is just me)
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

sonic03insc

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »

I plan to get a tuner but I can't stand the stock exhaust and its just sitting there begging me to put it on. My friend has a Vance & hines fuel pack he said I could have but I don't know anything about it or if it would work on the SE. He has an 07 RK 96".

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »

For a short term solution, I will bet that you will not suffer any long lasting

effects mounting the new exhaust without a tune right away......but to get the power maximized a

new a/c and a tune would be the solution (PC III or SERT also)
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

sonic03insc

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »

When you say A/C = air filter or is that a new intake? Sorry for the questions I'm new to working on Bikes, I have a 630rwhp 03' cobra that I have done everything to myself I just don't know much about bikes.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »

Yes, a stage 1 Air cleaner would be appropriate, to open up the restricted stock unit

note some Road Kings SE came through with what they (HD) called Screaming Eagle Air cleaner

but even those could be modified by changing the back plate to open them up......

to get these to breath better both ends need attention   a/c and exhaust
Formally FLHTCUSE3

sonic03insc

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:22:58 PM »

I can see the air filter from the back side. thanks for your help too!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »

I plan to get a tuner but I can't stand the stock exhaust and its just sitting there begging me to put it on. My friend has a Vance & hines fuel pack he said I could have but I don't know anything about it or if it would work on the SE. He has an 07 RK 96".

The Fuel Pak will work with with the 07 SERK.  Go to the V&H site:  http://www.fuelpakfi.com/harley1.html and put the parameters in for your bike and exhaust setup and it will give you the Fuel Pak settings you need to "dial" in.  Good luck.  :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

I have some Bassani slipons, can they be put on without a tune? I have 07 SERK. thanks John

John, What has been done to the bike already? Sounds like you are the second owner. If nothing has been modified on the electronic fuel injection system and you install the slipons correctly (sealed tight, no air leaks etc), the delphi ecm is a "learning" ecm(with multiple inputs from the engine) which means your bike will probably run no worse or better than before the slipons. The bike is epa spec to be lean. What the other people are saying is you would need to improve the air intake as well and adjust the map so its running with a richer air/fuel mixture which will improve engine life and give you a better power band if tuned correctly. My advice is learn a little bit more about how the different systems on the bike work (there are multiple threads with good info on this and other forums) and then decide wat you want to do.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.