Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Best break-in method?  (Read 3106 times)

05_Candyman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Best break-in method?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 01:13:09 PM »

I never believed in all that break-in crap and babying a new motor and never will. I didn't continuously beat on mine at first, but it did see redline quite a few times. I stayed away from steady engine speeds and never lugged it either, lugging is bad for any motor ... not just Harley's. I'm like a little kid with a new toy when it comes to twisting the throttle and I love to twist it every chance I get ... that's how I rode all my other bikes and this one is no different.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 02:56:01 PM »

I give mine a few (about 20) easy miles keep the rpm's under 3500 and don't lug the engine. After that I rode it like I stole it. Never had any engine issues.

Be Safe.

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »

you know, once I saw what the assembly-line guy at the MOCO did to ea. and every scooter as it came off the line on the dyno, I had no question about worrying about a break=in procedure.  That guy w/ earmuffs on took ea. motor up to the red line all thru the gears and then shut it down.  Smokin' !!!   [smiley=shocked2.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 08:17:32 PM »

I've had 7 brand new Harley's in recent years EVO's, Twin Cam's and a 1200 custom and I broke them all in the same way. Took it easy for about the first 50 miles (ok, maybe it was only 5 miles! YIKES!) No lugging and no hitting the rev limiter (at least tried to avoid each). From there on out I rode them all as I normally ride (in the 2000 - 4500 rpm range with occasional burst to  about 5500 or so).  I never could do the 10 mph first gear, 20 mph second gear, etc., etc. thing very well. [smiley=laugh.gif]

Never had a motor breakdown or an issue with any of them. Maybe it was just luck but I figured if I'm going to have a problem I want to know now (right now!) as opposed to downstream when warranty and Mods could become an issue should a problem arise.

Also, I followed the MOCO's recommended service intervals as closely as I could. And applied same principle's again after every major motor built up procedure.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 08:49:18 PM »

For the first 50, I had a 55 mile ride on the Deuce from the dealer.  Besides following the owners manual, I mad sure that I came to a complete stop at least 10 times.  This advice was given to me with my first harley in '97 and I feel it is good advice...if you were to keep the bike at the same speed for the first 50 then you do not let the oil do it's job and help seat the parts.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 09:53:33 PM »

Striker, my break-in procedure was done entirely in 3rd gear. It has been almost a year now, but the rpm wasn't an issue. I wouldn't think of revving a motor with no load just to make noise. Seems kind of juvenile.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 01:05:21 AM »

Well guys it is all history now.  I put a couple hundred  miles on it coming back from the dealer almost all of it mountain riding, on and off the throttle, but keeping it between 2200 and 3000 rpms.  Saturday, put another 300 on it, and started to open it up periodically, 6th gear @ 3200 rpms= 100mph! Another 200 miles Sunday, all mountains, forced me to roll up and down on the throttle, but very seldom exceeded 3500 rpms.
I dropped it off at the shop tonight for them to pull the fluids tomorrow, and put in the Redline Shockproof in the tranny, a couple of minor adjustments, then I get it back tomorrow night.  From that point on anything goes.  That is what the warranty is for.  I run hard, and this bike seems to lope along at 85-90 in 6th, so I am really looking forward to my trips this summer once I replace the seat and backrests.
By the way, what is the rev-limiter set at with the race tuner! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 06:28:09 AM »

By the way, what is the rev-limiter set at with the race tuner! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Mine's at 6450.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 07:18:23 AM »

By the way, what is the rev-limiter set at with the race tuner! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif][/quote]

I think it will depend on who is setting up the ecm. I know on my Zippers ECM I can change the rev limit as I am sure you can do that with the race tuner. Your bike is set at 5800 rpm right now. Mine came from Zippers set at 6140  Anything higher than that will most likely run you out of the power curve and I am not so sure that these bikes don't run out a little eariler than that.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 08:24:17 AM »

Hey Striker, which 6-speed trans did you put in? I don't recall hearing word one HD was putting 6er in SEEG for 2005, and that would be something to highlight. Thanks.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 10:19:40 PM »

The HD catalog has a complete unit, or just a gear set.  I put in the gear set, it is a Jim's gear set.  By the way, even in the mountain riding I do, I find that the power of this 103 pulls the 6th gear fine, very seldom do I need to down shift as I thought I would.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.