Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiny Stones Hitting Fins Noise  (Read 1182 times)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Tiny Stones Hitting Fins Noise
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »

I'm hearing a unique sound under certain conditions.

When the motor is under load, say for example going up hill, as I twist the throttle about 1/4 turn I hear a sound like there are stones hitting the fins on the heads.

The sound is not constant, and is not like a knock or ping.

There are a number of staggered dings that I hear with no set pattern.

The bike is running great other than that... it's a 103.

I put gas in it over the weekend that may be suspect as well.

Is this something I should be concerned about.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Tiny Stones Hitting Fins Noise
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:38:20 PM »

I know you said it sounds like ping and i would be willing to bet it is ping....

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »

The conditions you describe this happening under and the sound points to engine detonation (pinging) This is really bad for your engine, so yes you should be very concerned. It could be bad gas. It could be engine timing. It could be bad sparkplugs. Or a combination of all three. Without knowing what's been done to your bike for mods (changing the pipes and breather without tuning can really screw things up) One thing I can tell you to do when this happens is down shift and increase your RPM's. Jerry (GRC) or one of the guys on the site who knows more than me can explain why that helps, all I know is that it does. You need to nail down the source and soon however or you will be doing a top end job on your motor before long.

B B

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:01:41 PM »

Sounds like a textbook case of detonation.  Some call it spark knock, pinging, etc., but whatever you call it, it's a noise caused by abnormal combustion and resulting pressure spikes.  If this is something new, I would first suspect a load of substandard fuel.  Try filling up with 93 octane Shell and see if the problem goes away.  If the problem persists or seems to be getting worse, I would suspect carbon buildup on the pistons and heads, or perhaps a lean mixture caused by partially clogged fuel injectors.  How is the engine running other than the noise issue?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »

Sounds like a textbook case of detonation.  Some call it spark knock, pinging, etc., but whatever you call it, it's a noise caused by abnormal combustion and resulting pressure spikes.  If this is something new, I would first suspect a load of substandard fuel.  Try filling up with 93 octane Shell and see if the problem goes away.  If the problem persists or seems to be getting worse, I would suspect carbon buildup on the pistons and heads, or perhaps a lean mixture caused by partially clogged fuel injectors.  How is the engine running other than the noise issue?

Jerry

Yeah what he said.

I just know it sucks. Jerry can tell you why it sucks  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good post (as usual) Jerry

B B

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:00:43 PM »

Engine runs great...

I put a tank of fuel that had an octane rating of 91 in on Sunday (was the only one available).... I hope this is the problem..

I added some Sunoco 94 after, but it wouldn't be enough to solve it if it is the gas.

If it is detonation, shouldn't it be happening all the time and not just under load?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »

Detonation is worse under load.  I added octane booster out west when mine detonated/pinged last fall.  Lousy 91 (so it said) octane gas was the culprit.  Problem corrected with octane boost.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:05 PM »

I carry a bottle of octane boost w/ me all the time. A lot of small towns out here only have regular (89), especially in Sask.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »

Pull you plugs, look for green and black spots on the electrodes, that's signs of detonation.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »

I've run most of the crap gas out and the spikes have almost all disappeared... thanks to everyone for the input!

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.