Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine Knock?  (Read 2220 times)

richbiker

• RJs Custom V-Twin
    • WA

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ulrta (sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO softail convertible
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO Ultra Limited
Engine Knock?
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »

Hi all 
   Newbie here, I have a 07SE ultra with 6000miles on it and it has developed a knock on the left side of the engine in the last 100 miles or so. The knock sounds like the compensator is loose but dealer tightened that and it made no difference.
The dealer that has it says they can not here the noise but are waiting for the H-D rep to come by and take it for a ride.
The noise happens when I slightly accell from a steady speed. It did not do this until recently. It always had a similar noise at high RPM under heavy throttle and I was told that was normal. Is this new noise normal? If not what do I do if the rep says it is? My thought is do the compensator's go bad?
Thanks.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Engine Knock?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »

The 110's had a lot of crankshaft issues, so I would not let this slide.  Worst case, ask them to check the crank runout.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:26:44 AM »

OH Yea...

Knock Knock,,,

Who's there?

Crank

Crank Who?

Crank going bye-bye....... :nixweiss:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 07:41:47 AM »

HD's roster of "normal" seems to be expanding daily.  "Them flames?  That's normal for a high performance engine".  "You can expect to see the cases bulging a little, they put the SE rocker box vents in these".  "Talked to the factory rep, he says they're seeing cracks in the frame fairly often; it's mostly on bikes with aftermarket mirrors, so..."

"Normal" means they hope to let it go until the thing is out of warranty so you fix it yourself, you will get tired of coming back to hear the same thing so you fix it yourself, you do something to the bike in the meantime so they can blame your parts and you fix it yourself (do you see where this is going?), or they make you believe it is in fact normal - until you find out it isn't and...you fix it yourself.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »

HD's roster of "normal" seems to be expanding daily.  "Them flames?  That's normal for a high performance engine".  "You can expect to see the cases bulging a little, they put the SE rocker box vents in these".  "Talked to the factory rep, he says they're seeing cracks in the frame fairly often; it's mostly on bikes with aftermarket mirrors, so..."

"Normal" means they hope to let it go until the thing is out of warranty so you fix it yourself, you will get tired of coming back to hear the same thing so you fix it yourself, you do something to the bike in the meantime so they can blame your parts and you fix it yourself (do you see where this is going?), or they make you believe it is in fact normal - until you find out it isn't and...you fix it yourself.

Now ya got it! FTF & FTW!!! ??? ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »

One of the best ways to deal with the fast answer syndrome Harley seems to teach all their dealers ("they all do that" or "that's normal") is to invite the dealer to bring out two other bikes similar to yours and let you ride them.  You are the one who is tuned in to the noise, feel, whatever, and you should be able to ascertain fairly quickly if the other bikes have the same issue.

BTW, even if they all really do that, it doesn't necessarily mean they are OK.  Just because they all leak, for instance, doesn't mean they get a free pass on fixing the damn things.  Any time you think the dealer is jerking your chain, call H-D direct, file a complaint, and get a reference number. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »

One of the best ways to deal with the fast answer syndrome Harley seems to teach all their dealers ("they all do that" or "that's normal") is to invite the dealer to bring out two other bikes similar to yours and let you ride them.  You are the one who is tuned in to the noise, feel, whatever, and you should be able to ascertain fairly quickly if the other bikes have the same issue.

BTW, even if they all really do that, it doesn't necessarily mean they are OK.  Just because they all leak, for instance, doesn't mean they get a free pass on fixing the damn things.  Any time you think the dealer is jerking your chain, call H-D direct, file a complaint, and get a reference number. 

Jerry
This thing's been beat to death so many times. I've been riding since 1973 (Japanese, British, American). There are good dealers that take care of their mechanics and keep them for years and there are impersonal owners that turn them over. The answer you get will probably depend on how much experience and knowledge they have. I've dealt with great Yamaha, Triumph and Harley dealerships and been burned by some (never more than once). The times I've tried new dealerships, I take time to just talk to the people at the counter and techs. If they seem like they really like riding and are friendly, I'll give them a chance. Ofcourse I might ask them a few questions like how they handle intermittent problems etc and get an idea of their expertise. Finally if my bike is returned dirty, I will not return. I dont expect it to be detailed, but atleast wiped down. Lastly, dont pretend to know more than you do. It's ok to ask questions but you could be way off course as to what is really going on. Probably the last thing many of them want to hear is what you read on the internet. Just my humble opinion. By the way, I think Harley does a good job of trying to ensure consistency today compared to 20 years ago but all these are independent businesses.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »

Mine didn't start knocking until after the "miracle fix" I have  been complaining and complaining and complaining about it ever since. So they finally got tired of me they had the midwest regional service manager take her for a ride.. and his responce was.. are you ready for this...  It was one of the quieter ones he's heard??? and that was that...  WTF!!!!
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

richbiker

• RJs Custom V-Twin
    • WA

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ulrta (sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO softail convertible
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »

Now mine is the quietest 110 he has heard. Now on to HD direct.

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »

keep taking it back and after a few times of them telling you the same thing. CALL the owner of the dealer. You wouldnt believe the type of work you will get done. But be ready for your bike to be rode by all the upper manament. My ride was running like crap, They dyno/tuned and did a complete detail. It didnt cost me a penny.

fxdsebeloved

• Full CVO Member
  • Four Wheels Move The Body Two Wheels Move The Soul

• CVO1: (Beloved) 2007 FXDSE Silver Rush/Midnight Black
    • alcohaulinasss
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:32:16 AM »

Mine developed a knock after the "miracle fix" never had one before :confused5:
The rep came down from MoCo and took it for a ride and told me that knock is one of the quietest he's heard  :nixweiss: and left me hanging :-\
Member # 1786
If you live in the past
You will have no future

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.