Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Brake lock up  (Read 948 times)

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
Rear Brake lock up
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:47:07 PM »

Hi ,was out today and listening to cd ,not fully concentrating and had to brake firm but not over hard and rear wheel locked up very easily on my 07. has anyone got a problem with this as this is the second time it has happened to me.do i need to upgrade to 08 bike with ABS.

John

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Rear Brake lock up
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:02:03 PM »

Hi ,was out today and listening to cd ,not fully concentrating and had to brake firm but not over hard and rear wheel locked up very easily on my 07. has anyone got a problem with this as this is the second time it has happened to me.do i need to upgrade to 08 bike with ABS.
John

That sounds like as good a reason as any :D 

I would wait for an 2009 though ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05:21 PM »

If you aggressively applied the rear brakes (panic stop) the probability of them locking up is very high. You have more stopping power using your front (while combining the rear) brakes. Quite possible that you just applied them to aggressively. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »

80 % breaking is in front breaks , you may want to refrain from to much preasure on rear breay, doesn't take much to lock it up when in o-shoot mode. :o
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:27:54 PM »

John

John, ABS has done wonders for the braking performance of the general population, but mere mortals can do almost as well providing they understand braking dynamics and practice proper technique until it becomes automatic.  Of course, if your post was just a thinly veiled attempt to justify a new bike, please ignore my obviously misguided comment and do what you need to do. ;)

Seriously, rear lockup is common on all bikes, not just '07's.  When you apply the brakes weight shifts to the front and leaves the rear wheel lightly loaded, reducing traction.  If you combine that with bumps, traction can be reduced to the point that almost any brake application would be enough to chirp the tire.  The answer, other than ABS, is to practice panic stops until it becomes second nature to rely mostly on the front brakes and to just feather the rear to maintain stability.  Find yourself a nice empty parking lot to practice, and gradually increase speeds and stopping efforts while maintaining full control.

Jerry

PS - I haven't quite figured out why H-D puts the same size brake on the rear of their bikes, and also uses the exact same pads.  Years ago, rear brakes on bikes were much smaller than the fronts, and the shoes or pads were also smaller and less aggressive.  If anyone makes a less aggressive pad to fit the stock caliper, that might help. 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:52 PM »

Yet people are still buying choppers with no front break at all!  YIKES!  One of the reasons I went with the touring platform was for dual fronts.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:45 AM »

Thanks guys for the advice i will wait for 09 options and also take the advice on the braking technique.

John

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:12:12 PM »

I was right! :D  It was rationalization to get a new bike with ABS.  Yep, wait to see what the 09's have to offer :2vrolijk_21:

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 02:28:30 PM »

Yes i was in my dealers today and he says they are not far off now.Doesnt know if they will do a cvo ultra this time?

John

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.