Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handle Bar extension  (Read 816 times)

stekat

• Full CVO Member
Handle Bar extension
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »

For 2008, we have "Electronic Throttle" and "ABS".  I would like to extend my bars back a couple of inches.  The bars are available, but because of the ABS and throttle, the job becomes very expensive. 

Have any of you actually changed your bars on an '08 with the ABS and electronic throttle?

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Handle Bar extension
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »

There have been a few here that have changed out their handlebars successfully.  As far as I know, everyone here has used the Wild1 575 bars http://www.wild1inc.com/575.html

You can do a search here on the forum and find out about others experience.  As best I remember, others have not had to change the brake or clutch lines.  I think the hardest part of the job is fishing all the wires down through the new handlebars.

I hope to change out the handlebars on my 08 SEUC in the next few months.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »

I had read about these - Throttle By Wire Extension Wire Kit for '08 Baggers in one of my biker mags. Jim (hd-dude) posted in that thread that he has changed the bars out on some TBW bikes by just extending (splicing/soldering) the wire.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:36 PM »

Everyone that I've read about changing to the WO Chubby 575s has had to change the brake line but some report success with the stock clutch line and throttle cables.  Problem with '08 cuse is the ABS brakes.  Don't think H-D makes extended brake line and some members reported earlier that their dealer would not change using aftermarket brake lines.  Don't know much if anything about motorcycle ABS but I'd be cautious myself.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

D_Lord

• FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SE Roadking
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:20:33 PM »

I just finished replacing my stock 08 SEUC handlebars with Wild 1 575's. I did not have to replace or extend any cables. The only cost was the handlebars. I did cheat and had my local HD shop actually r&R the wires (3 hrs labor), but I removed the stocks and re-installed the new ones.

One other note, I did have to disconnect the clutch cable at the handlebar and re-route the cable under the fairing to gain a little extra length.

All in all it took about 2 hours to remove and 3 hours to reinstall. I don't know how it can be done without the service manuals though (especially the ignition)

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

I just finished replacing my stock 08 SEUC handlebars with Wild 1 575's. I did not have to replace or extend any cables. The only cost was the handlebars. I did cheat and had my local HD shop actually r&R the wires (3 hrs labor), but I removed the stocks and re-installed the new ones.

One other note, I did have to disconnect the clutch cable at the handlebar and re-route the cable under the fairing to gain a little extra length.

All in all it took about 2 hours to remove and 3 hours to reinstall. I don't know how it can be done without the service manuals though (especially the ignition)

Thank you for that information.  I was getting conflicting advice from several sources.  Wild 1 was the only one who said that I would need no other changes, just put them on.  Thanks again

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.