Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Used Parts ; What are they worth  (Read 1113 times)

SPIDERMAN

Used Parts ; What are they worth
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:04:16 PM »

I don't want anyone to think that I am posting against their particular item, so I'm going to start a separate thread for this discussion. My intent here is for our less experienced members to understand what they're getting themselves into when they buy used parts. So here we go and I welcome counter opinions or any other comments. 

Used parts ; what are they worth ?  In my opinion once a part has been installed on someone's motorcycle, it is used. If not, then they should be able to be returned to the vendor they were purchased from and a refund less restocking fee provided. Now at some stores, that refund might be a store credit, but nonetheless, it is a refund of sorts. The fact that we see items posted for sale with sales pitches about what a great deal the price is as compared to new means that A) The vendor won't accept  it in return B) obviously, it is no longer " new. And by that I mean whatever warranty the vendor offered is no longer vaild. That's why Progressive Suspension to name one vendor demands a sales receipt if you wish to warranty something you've bought from them. With no warranty and having been previously installed on someone else's bike, I cannot recommend anyone paying more than 50% of list price for any item offered. You have no idea what the mechanical skills of the indivdual who installed the item may be. I've seen "new" exhaust systems with bent brkts and bunged up bolts.screws etc. The person doing the install didn't understand how to do what he/she was doing and whether they're aware or not, may have tweaked the system so it no longer fits as designed. So there you have two issues, warranty and fitment that you need to be aware of. And while most of us hate to admit it, we all have a problem with saying something is " like new" when there's a scratch here or a blemish there. At the end of the day, I do not advocate paying more than 30 cents on the dollar, 40 cents if you've got to have it for any used item. I cannot recall having sold anything myself for more than those numbers with one exception. So that's my 2 cents What's yours ?

B B
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:09:49 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Used Parts ; What are they worth
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »

Can't disagree with the concept at all Brian.  Cosmetically and/or mechanically nice used parts with minor time and minor miles are really no different than cosmetically and/or mechanically nice used parts with much longer service.  They're both used parts.

Any mftr's warranty goes only to the original purchaser.  So you're no longer buying the warranty.  So if one were to be interested in a $1000 part (for example) now offered for $800-850 but only a "few months old and barely ridden" how much of a discount is really there.  Having some warranty on an otherwise expensive new part is system has some value.  We often don't think of it because we don't visually see it.  But it's there nonetheless. 

I try to contain myself to the 50-60% range at best for good used parts.  There might be the very rare exception.  But not very often.  And most often it's less than that for me to be really interested.

Low volume or otherwise specialty pieces are of course a topic unto themselves.  But for just standard day-to-day good used parts that's what I look for.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »

depends on the item and the application. i was recently looking for softail floorboard brackets. not sure if they would fit my application i was looking for a steal on used parts. when no such deal presented itself i instead opted for a new set of universal floorboards that give me some adjustabilty. they arrived today  :huepfenjump3: no clue when i'll get to actually install them  :'( anyhoo. back on topic here. i think if you approach used parts with your eyes open and some good communication with the seller you may end up with parts you are happy with. but if you start aproaching 50+% of the cost of new then you need to really think about it
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »

I had to pay $225 for an air cleaner cover...A one year only 1935...A repop to boot, oh the shame..
I need a rear center stand, found one, original, $300....NFW, I'll keep mine.

Did I mention never to restore an old HD???  ::)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:31:19 PM »

I had to pay $225 for an air cleaner cover...A one year only 1935...A repop to boot, oh the shame..
I need a rear center stand, found one, original, $300....NFW, I'll keep mine.

Did I mention never to restore an old HD???  ::)

OK miker,  I'll say Uncle,  I should have mentioned that restoration parts are another animal completely

B B

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »

;) 

"i think if you approach used parts with your eyes open and some good communication with the seller you may end up with parts you are happy with. "

I have to approach those pirates at swap meets that have used parts with fist fulls of cash......rotten bastids...  :D
Sorry :jack:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »

;) 

"i think if you approach used parts with your eyes open and some good communication with the seller you may end up with parts you are happy with. "

I have to approach those pirates at swap meets that have used parts with fist fulls of cash......rotten bastids...  :D
Sorry :jack:

BB,
I generally agree with the amounts to be paid for used parts.  Like Don said, almost new, gently used (whatever that means) or used for years, is still used.  What it boils down to is the actual condition of the part and how bad you really want or need it.  A subjective call.  But your 30-50% is spot on for a good starting point in any negotiations.   :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »

Considering the sites that sell new for 80%  I generally don't buy or sell used parts that are in excellent shape for over 50%,  unless I know the person or can't find the part elsewhere.  I would just rather have a new part, even if it costs me 30% more.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »

In total agreement with Trapperdog-if a used part reaches 50%, I'll search for the discounted new part. Too many people out there thinking  they should sell a used part for 75-85%. Of course, the old axiom is that when you are buying something, it is worth considerably less than the asking price; and when you go to sell an item it is worth twice what you paid...dag!
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »

In total agreement with Trapperdog-if a used part reaches 50%, I'll search for the discounted new part. Too many people out there thinking  they should sell a used part for 75-85%. Of course, the old axiom is that when you are buying something, it is worth considerably less than the asking price; and when you go to sell an item it is worth twice what you paid...dag!

At the risk of offending anyone, mostly when we get into the 75-85% range, it's newbies looking to unload their mistakes on the membership. They don't realize what a saavy bunch we are;  or cheap bastards - - -depending on perspective   :P

B B

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »

At the risk of offending anyone, mostly when we get into the 75-85% range, it's newbies looking to unload their mistakes on the membership. They don't realize what a saavy bunch we are;  or cheap bastards - - -depending on perspective   :P

B B
How can anyone willing to spend $37,030.13 (out the door price on mine) on a new bike be considered a cheap bastard?  I believe in being honorable as a buyer and honest as a seller.  The BEST price is one on which both parties agree.  Maybe I've overspent in the few transactions I've had with site members but I'll never quibble over $20.  I'll save 3 times that amount by not going out to eat tonight instead.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.