Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 SERK shipped with Low Transmission Oil - Dealer PDI missed it!  (Read 1874 times)

Navarre

check your tranny oil level

I just took delivery of my 2008 SERK - tranny shifting like smashing rocks and hard and I mean shake your teeth lurch hard!  621 km's

either they are being shipped direct from the factory low
or dealer is not catching it during PDI
and/or the DEALER MECHANICS & SERVICE DEPARTMENT IS NOT FOLLOWING THE MANUAL to inspecting the tranny oil level properly!

after a ride with engine at operating temp
BIKE MUST BE leaning on the jiffy stand.
Unthread and remove the filler plug/DIP-STICK - check oil level, wipe dry
place plug/DIP-STICK back in hole - DO NOT THREAD IN
DIP-STICK SHOULD REST ON THREADS OF THE CASE

Remove the plug/DIP-STICK and check the level
the lubricant level should lie between the (A) for Add and (F) Full marks on the DIP-STICK

In my case they missed it during PDI by not following the manual and doing it wrong!
then they were checking the tranny oil with the bike up on two wheels, centered and threading the plug/DIP-STICK into the case.
then removing it to check the levels - WRONG!!!!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:02:26 PM by Navarre »
2008 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Midnight Blue w Blue lacquer Ghost Flames
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
SE Race Tuner

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

check your tranny oil level

I just took delivery of my CVO Road King - tranny shifting like smashing rocks and hard and I mean shake your teeth lurch hard!  621 km's

either they are being shipped direct from the factory low
or dealer is not catching it during PDI
and/or the DEALER MECHANICS & SERVICE DEPARTMENT IS NOT FOLLOWING THE MANUAL to inspecting the tranny oil level properly!

Unthread and remove the filler plug/DIP-STICK - check oil level, wipe dry
place plug/DIP-STICK back in hole - DO NOT THREAD IN
DIP-STICK SHOULD REST ON THREADS OF THE CASE

Remove the plug/DIP-STICK and check the level
the lubricant level should lie between the (A) for Add and (F) Full marks on the DIP-STICK

In my case they missed it during PDI by not following the manual and doing it wrong!
then they were checking the tranny oil with the bike up on two wheels, centered and threading the plug/DIP-STICK into the case.
then removing it to check the levels - WRONG!!!!

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the site!   :2vrolijk_21:  Glad you joined us...

Lesson learned on your fluid levels...  You would be wise to pull out a few wrenches and "nut and bolt" your entire bike...  You might be surprised at how many loose fasteners you will find...

Good luck ...  and how about a few pictures?? 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

When did that change?  Bet there are a lot of wrenches getting that wrong.  Trannies were checked standing upright for a long long time.

Navarre

thats exactly what the service manger and lead wrench said!!!

Sales guys are serious hard riders all knew and set them straight, along with a copy of the tech manual
2008 FLHRSE4 Page 96-97 has very specific instructions of the HD Owners Manual...
Page 96 has a special Note specifically states put'er on the jiffy stand... :nixweiss:

Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
SE Race Tuner

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

thats exactly what the service manger and lead wrench said!!!

Sales guys are serious hard riders all knew and set them straight, along with a copy of the tech manual
2008 FLHRSE4 Page 96-97 has very specific instructions of the HD Owners Manual...
Page 96 has a special Note specifically states put'er on the jiffy stand... :nixweiss:

Once you get beyond the confusion it's going to cause it's actually better.  I always thought it was dumb that they leaned for engine oil and stood upright for transmission grease.  Plus a lot of guys probably never checked it standing upright anyway.  Didn't have an extra pair of hands/legs or a jack. 

Navarre

Thank you Sadunbar,

Yes lessons learned trust know one especially your dealer, its service dept and wrenches! - and that really sucks and blows your confidence in them.
pics forth coming...
B is in da shop waiting for the thumbs up to return to proud but disappointed & disillusioned owner
I will take your advise and nut & bolt ma bike.

Michael 
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
SE Race Tuner

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

Because bikes on the lift in the service bay are vertical, levels are read wrong.  They would have to take the bike off the lift to check levels properly.  Too much work. I argued about this change with an indy and had to show the manual.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)

I had the same experience with my indy shop. Showed the manual to them when I brought the change of fluids: Mobile One 15/50 full syn, shockproof and MTL by Redline, and wanted the correct levels. It's hard to debate with a seasoned Mechanic but the manual made it easier and worth the hassle of using the jiffy stand as well documented.

Once the lead mechanic at my local Harley Dealer told me "Ya just get used to seeing how much there is supposed to in each hole". He made it sound easy. Exception to his rule is experience, and some of his bikes run low on fluids due to closed minded thinking and failure to gain new models specific instructions. It's a learning experience, a cognitive behavior that doesn't downplay prior experience, but thrives on such expertise to expand further with each year new models.

Only a foolish mechanic would think things don't change. Procedure and common task changes are expected and the foundation to successful maintenance.

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3

My brother in law took delivery of a brand new 1977 HD cafe racer back in 1980. (They couldn't give them away back then). He drove it the 4 hour jaunt from his dealer to home & the tranny cooked in his driveway. I guess because the bike sat so long it was presumed to be PDI'd. NOT. No oil at all in the tranny. I guess some things never change.  HD had to get him a new tranny. He still has that bike(now sitting in his basement) 28 years later.  THE MUFFMAN

Sean M Cary

When did that change?  Bet there are a lot of wrenches getting that wrong.  Trannies were checked standing upright for a long long time.

My manual states operating temp, but upright - not on a jiffy stand...2003 SERK.   :nixweiss:

Sean

Navarre

Re: 2008 SERK shipped with Low Transmission Oil - Dealer PDI missed it!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »

Hi Sean,

I guess in 08...  I'm just a tad :confused5:
Old school, upright and with the plug threaded in.
08's are on the jiffy and plug "resting" on the top of the threads...  makes for a huge difference in fluid levels.

Michael
Rinehart True Duals
SE Heavy Breather
SE Race Tuner

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 25 queries.