Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Exxon Gets Away almost Scott Free  (Read 1511 times)

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 flstfse
    • CVO2: 08 flhrse4
Re: Exxon Gets Away almost Scott Free
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »

GRC I agree with some of what you say. while I won't use the term victim,I have been on the losing side of a liability claim, and it showed me how hard it is to collect punitive damages. The "2 billion dollars" thay paid doesn't seem like much now while their enjoying record profits, but when the valdez spill occured oil prices were very low and so were their profits and there was consideration in not bankrupting exxon. If you consider all the money paid out, to lawyers fines and settlements I don't see how they got away almost scot free.

NukeIT

• Full CVO Member
Re: Exxon Gets Away almost Scott Free
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 08:30:44 PM »

Yes people/companies should be held accountable for their actions, however our tort legal system has allowed too many people to get rich off of accidents. Too many people today look at an accident as a payday, they see $$$ and think I will never have to work again... I read recently about a fisherman who still has not gone back to work because he was banking on this payoff as his retirement. It's 20 years later, yes maybe fishing is out of the question but that doesn't mean you cant do something else...

as for the insurance company paying or Exxon themselves does it matter, that is why you have insurance. Last time I checked I didn't go offering to pay the damages in my last car accident when I could let the insurance cover it.

"It's not a bike, It's a lifestyle!"
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.