Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another break-in thread...  (Read 1770 times)

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2
Yet another break-in thread...
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:41 AM »

Here's the deal -- picking up a new '08 FLHRSE4 Screamin Eagle Road King next week.  The problem is that I'm picking it up from 400 miles away (I'm in SoCal, and it's in Arizona).  In the past, I've always performed the break-in procedure by the book.  I'm sure with the 6 speed I can keep the revs under 3K (what speed do these run at 3K anyway?), but my concern is not being able to vary the speed along the long trip home.  Should I just run it between 65 and 75 and ride it back, or should I trailer it back and break it in around town?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Yet another break-in thread...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:02 AM »

Take it really easy the first 50 miles. Nothing over 3K. After that ride it gently but dont worry too much about speed and RPM. Keep it under 4K and vary the speed on the freeway.

Enjoy the ride home :2vrolijk_21:

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:55 AM »

2800 RPM is 70 MPH, I think thats right. Use cruise control to run at different speeds on trip back home. I done the first 1,000 mile maintance at about 800 miles, pulled out of dealer and headed to Myrtle Beach (425 miles) and put her in the wind. Knock on wood have had no problems, appox. 10,500 miles on it now.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:08:57 AM »

Here's the deal -- picking up a new '08 FLHRSE4 Screamin Eagle Road King next week.  The problem is that I'm picking it up from 400 miles away (I'm in SoCal, and it's in Arizona).  In the past, I've always performed the break-in procedure by the book.  I'm sure with the 6 speed I can keep the revs under 3K (what speed do these run at 3K anyway?), but my concern is not being able to vary the speed along the long trip home.  Should I just run it between 65 and 75 and ride it back, or should I trailer it back and break it in around town?

just keep thinking heat her up, cool her down, repeat. If it's brand new, I would take surface roads for the first fifty with several stops to let the motor cool down a couple of times. After fifty miles, like Jim said, just baby it. Use all three lanes and look for opportunities to stop and show it off to others, meanwhile the bike is cooling off.

Have a good trip and take pics to post of your maiden voyage.

:indian_chief:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 10:30:36 AM »

With the six speed you can shift between 5th and sixth to very rpm's thats what counts. First 50 to 100 go easy then ride her like your going to just very rpm's.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

cuttinhorse

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Copper Head Road Qween
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »

You may want to not only change rpm often but also run it up to about 4000 after the first 50 miles, and let off the throttle and let it decel back down to create a good backpressure. Do this several times every time you ride it. The off throttle decel creates good ring pressure which helps seat the rings.

Be sure to let it warm up good before applying much load

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »

New break in is by mphj not rpm's
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 flstfse
    • CVO2: 08 flhrse4
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »

I would just noodle around town the first 50 miles, starting and stoping, then drive home with speed changes and frequent stops. 3000 rpm is right at 80 mph

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 11:33:45 AM »

New break in is by mphj not rpm's

The RPMs is the important factor. The reason HD calls out for MPH is that most models do not have a tach.
Tom

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »

just keep thinking heat her up, cool her down, repeat. If it's brand new, I would take surface roads for the first fifty with several stops to let the motor cool down a couple of times. After fifty miles, like Jim said, just baby it. Use all three lanes and look for opportunities to stop and show it off to others, meanwhile the bike is cooling off.

Have a good trip and take pics to post of your maiden voyage.

:indian_chief:
Totally agree with you Chief... :2vrolijk_21:..and the wizard  :scholar:on Harley V-twins, Joe Minton, does also.  :drink: Har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

Screw the break-in, you're gonna have to put a new motor in it anway.  :bananarock:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »

Here's the verbiage straight out of the '08 FLT Touring Model Owner's Manual, page 136:

BREAK-IN RIDING RULES

The First 500 miles (800 Kilometers)

The sound design, quality materials, and workmanship that are built into your new Harley-Davidson will give you optimum performance right from the start.

To allow your engine to wear in its critical parts, we recommend that you observe the riding rules provided below for the first 500 miles (800 kilometers).  Adherence to these suggestions will help to assure good future durability and performance.

1.  During the first 50 miles (80 kilometers) of riding, keep the engine speed below 4000 RPM in any gear.  Do not lug the engine by running or accelerating at very low RPM, or by running at high RPM longer than needed for shifting or passing. 

NOTE
For models without a tachometer, operate the motorcycle according to the speeds given in Table 29 and Table 30 during motorcycle break-in.

2.  Up to 500 miles (800 kilometers), vary the engine speed and avoid operating at any steady engine speed for long periods.  Engine speed up to 5000 RPM in any gear is permissible.

3.  Drive slowly and avoid fast starts at wide open throttle until the engine has warmed up.

4.  Avoid lugging the engine by not running the engine at very low speeds in higher gears.

5.  Avoid hard braking.  New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 200 miles (300 kilometers). 

so there you have it sports fans...that's the MoCo's "approved" break-in method.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.